Fiesta Zetec 1.25 racing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

SAMD

RMS Regular
OP
S
In a way you are better with less power. More power equalls more strain on the transmission equalls more breakages. Especially when everyone else has the same power. 200 BHP is no advantage when everyone else has 200. It just costs more.
There are lots of cars out there. Its just a case of picking one. I have one bought, but its a 5 door with a sunroof.:relieved:

SAMD

RMS Regular
OP
S
Oh it'll happen alright, although only if people go ahead and do it. The car can be used for other events anyway. I'm sure they would autotest quite well.

thornracing

RMS Photographer
Drives
accent
id be interested in this...but it would good to be run like the nisevens racing...ie double headers at kirkistown so then its ever other month and 2 races in the same day...also the nisevens boys do racing and sprints as part of there championship...this could be anither idea, and even cars still have to be road legal ie mot and tax.....

SAMD

RMS Regular
OP
S
id be interested in this...but it would good to be run like the nisevens racing...ie double headers at kirkistown so then its ever other month and 2 races in the same day...also the nisevens boys do racing and sprints as part of there championship...this could be anither idea, and even cars still have to be road legal ie mot and tax.....

Mmm, I quite like the idea of double headers every other month. I will have to voice that one. The Sprints as well would be a good enough idea, but I think most people would join the TSCC and do their stuff.
Road legal? it would depend on a number of things. The cars would mot ok, so it would be down to the club to decide if it was necessary or not. I would maybe keep mine MOTd for doing the likes of the TSCC Tulip run, maybe even the Boxing day rally. As I say, the wee cars should autotest quite well.

thornracing

RMS Photographer
Drives
accent
just to get it clear what shape of fiesta is it or can it be any of the older 1.25 zetecs...because theres the one with the droopy lights then the newer one with the big square lights

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Id love to do this, and as you say, if it was done fairly where an engine will be checked if a complaint is lodged, then i can see it succeeding.

If it transpires that the usual boring, skimming, stroking is being done then those who are actually running to the rules will end up walking away.

Fantastic idea, I know for a fact it is hard enough to get entries for most forms of motorsport at the minute, but you have to put that to one side and run to the rules from day one. Even making an example of someone should it need done. Competition is rife with cheating, no matter what class or discipline.

If money happens to land on my lap though ill be out at the next Ni Sevens round, not likely to happen though :worried:

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
this sounds like a good idea cheap and cheerful motorsport, but the license is dear??? i a have a nonrace national b for sprints and hills its 45 odd quid the race national b you have to to the test etc and if i remember right its about 200odd quid correct me if im wrong but thats what i think...also cut springs i think isnt the best idea some lowering springs would be far better imo....also who has authorised new class?? has it been approved??

Saunts

RMS Regular
I know of a guy who has a fiesta sitting, either a 1.4 or 1.2 with 30,000 miles. Fsh n all. £300 to lift it.

thornracing

RMS Photographer
Drives
accent
i sat and worked out the cost if your a total newbe to the sport your talking almost 5-6K rather than the £1500 that they claim you can do it in, rembering that the cage/seats/harnesses/helmet, overalls,gloves,boots/fire extinguisher system/ and all theese need to be fia approved and in date, the the cost of your license and anything else.....i changed my mind about it :worried:

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
i sat and worked out the cost if your a total newbe to the sport your talking almost 5-6K rather than the £1500 that they claim you can do it in, rembering that the cage/seats/harnesses/helmet, overalls,gloves,boots/fire extinguisher system/ and all theese need to be fia approved and in date, the the cost of your license and anything else.....i changed my mind about it :worried:
fair enough, but did anything ever come of the series?

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
not as yet, id keep an eye out for another series thats being started, civic vti's there is a picture on the last track day of one, black and day glow yellow, thats the first one of them built second one being built at the moment, keeping it cheap as well, far more power etc than a fiesta and from what i heard they costing to build not a kick in the arse off the price either! should be more info on it when things start getting further on!

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
not as yet, id keep an eye out for another series thats being started, civic vti's there is a picture on the last track day of one, black and day glow yellow, thats the first one of them built second one being built at the moment, keeping it cheap as well, far more power etc than a fiesta and from what i heard they costing to build not a kick in the arse off the price either! should be more info on it when things start getting further on!

You would need to give more details on how that could be cheaper than fiestas mate.

Initial purchase price of the cars for a start, tho which you might need two in a year, I reckon I could find a mk4 fiesta zetec for £150-£250, maybe cheaper as tax/mot are not required. For an ek vti what £1200 minimum? Then replacement parts like engines/gearboxes etc.. Fiesta's or the like are pennies in comparision.

.... if there is any room for modification with the civics then money will go through the roof too. Small series like whats been proposed has always had small hatches to keep the money down, not saying a civic series wouldn't work , just that it would always be dearer than one with a scrap fiesta, and as said in an earlier post it doesn't matter is the cars have 50bhp or 200bhp, aslong as there is parity than the racing will be as good to watch and to take part in.

If anyone has any other cheap track racing sugestions then suggest away. Obviously a bit of interest on here.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
didnt say they were cheaper just said they wouldnt be far away from the build of fiesta, and tbh the way they were going to biult i never seen the series ever coming to life. no msa scruitneer would evr allow cut springs! but when more details come up about civics i will certainly let use know!

shakey

In reference to the subject of cheating drivers at the Super Sunday Series it was always the cry of those not competitive in all racing to emply those doing the winning were illegal. The Sunday Series was the best run and organised motor racing in Northern Ireland. It was afordable and over 1000 drivers got introduced to motor racing who would not of had the oppertunity had it not been for the series. Simply was the best motor racing around.

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Not heard much in the way of any of these race series starting be it Civic or Fiesta

SAMD

RMS Regular
OP
S
Any progress with this?

Yes, there are a number of cars being built at the minute, we have been surprised by the number of enquiries from South of the Border, but I suppose anyone North of the Liffey can race at Kirkistown as cheap as anywhere. A final Race Spec should be ready this year although this will most likely be adjusted a bit once racing starts. It was hoped to have two cars out this month to run at the back of the saloons but I cant see this happening.

Cheers ;)

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
I'll join the list and say my 1.25 mk4 was the best car I've ever driven!

http://www.reallymeansounds.com/garage/car.php?user=718&garageid=538

I remember seeing that car on here years ago and always liked it.

Nope it's not neither is this one

Image064Small.jpg

However it is a 1.4 not a 1.25. The Fiesta challenge cars are all 1.4 and run Zetec-s bodywork. The white one is not even a mk5 it's a mk4

Why would you do all that to a mk4 when you could have just bought a mk5? :confounded: lol. Only way i could tell that was a mk4 was the back windows.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.