Ford Ranger 2.2 vs 3.2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything Boring
Has anybody got any first hand experience of running either one of these Ford Rangers?

What's day to day running costs like? General driving with occassionally towing a transporter?

Would the 2.2 be quite underpowered? I've heard they take quite well to a remap?

@Jas Lad do I remember you being a fan of these?

Bryan

RMS Regular
For the size of the beast itself and towing in mind I'd be choosing the 3.2. No personal experience though - just personally think a 2.2 engine is too small for that size of a truck.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
For the size of the beast itself and towing in mind I'd be choosing the 3.2. No personal experience though - just personally think a 2.2 engine is too small for that size of a truck.

Not much smaller than Nissan’s 2.3 offering, and still bigger than the horrendously underpowered 1.9 DMax which has somehow won most of the commercial and pickup awards going.

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
OP
k20_chunky
Drives
Anything Boring
Spoke to a friend today who had a 3.2 away with him for the day delivering a car Donegal to Dublin. 3/4 of a tank used and he was still only in Monaghan on his way home

Dave..

RMS Regular
I own a 3.2 manual. Great truck.
Hard on fuel but it is worth it for the torque. The only thing I don’t like is the bouncy ride when there is no weight in the bed but all pickups will be the same.

Lostinspace

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
Been in a 2.2 with a bit of a load in the bed, underpowered, and owner complaining constantly he should have bought the 3.2 :joy:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Have a few 2.2's in work. They don't do much heavy work, but you just know that there isn't a lot left in them for towing etc. No pick up is economical, but for some reason i would have expected them to do more mpg than what they do.

Have a mixture of D Max's, HiLux, Navara, Amarok, L200s in work and I think the Ranger is the nicest driving one out of the lot.

I think a big lazy straight 6 engine would improve any of them no end though! (Haven't got to drive the newer V6 Volkswagens yet)

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
OP
k20_chunky
Drives
Anything Boring
The reason I'm thinking Ranger is because them and Amaroks are meant to be the nicest driving out of that list you mentioned.

For all the towing I'd be doing I'm leaning more towards a 2.2 and getting it mapped.

I want something capable of towing if need be and something that's looks decent at the weekends if that makes sense

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Think the auto Amarok have a 3.75t towing capacity which is one of the highest available. No low range in them if that makes any difference to you.

Not a big lot in the 2.0 Amarok and 2.2 Ranger in my opinion, just think the Ranger edges it ever so slightly on driving, and has a more car like cabin etc.

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
OP
k20_chunky
Drives
Anything Boring
It was a Widltrak you had @Jas Lad?

I'm in the trade myself, I just find it difficult to justify an Amarok for myself even though that's what I'd really want. Afaik theres a big difference in vrt between a Ranger and an Amarok, I'd need to double check.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
The reason I'm thinking Ranger is because them and Amaroks are meant to be the nicest driving out of that list you mentioned.

For all the towing I'd be doing I'm leaning more towards a 2.2 and getting it mapped.

I want something capable of towing if need be and something that's looks decent at the weekends if that makes sense

None of the above compare to the driving, handling, comfort etc of the Mercedes X Class. Yes, it’s based on a Navara, but Mercedes changes the suspension, tuning, interior, body etc and have transformed it into an entirely different vehicle. We had 1 for a few days and it wasn’t like driving a pickup at all.

Ranger won for rear legroom and space, but that was about the only thing that any of the other pickups bettered the X Class on, and that was after weeks of driving just about all of them and taking them home for a few days.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
None of the above compare to the driving, handling, comfort etc of the Mercedes X Class. Yes, it’s based on a Navara, but Mercedes changes the suspension, tuning, interior, body etc and have transformed it into an entirely different vehicle. We had 1 for a few days and it wasn’t like driving a pickup at all.

Ranger won for rear legroom and space, but that was about the only thing that any of the other pickups bettered the X Class on, and that was after weeks of driving just about all of them and taking them home for a few days.

Will have to get a run in one, I had just dismissed it to be the same as the Navara but obviously not!

New Navara is a good improvement on the older model too.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Will have to get a run in one, I had just dismissed it to be the same as the Navara but obviously not!

New Navara is a good improvement on the older model too.

New Navara is a fantastic improvement over the last, which apart from its chassis rot issue was a very good pickup too. The X Class blows them all out of the water though. You’d wonder where the need for the ML comes into the range if you drove a fully equipped X Class with all the toys...

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Did I read somewhere online that there is a biturbo 2.0 Ranger coming in 2019 with 10 speed auto and large towing capacity?

Near sure I read that on a Facebook article recently but can't find it again.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Did I read somewhere online that there is a biturbo 2.0 Ranger coming in 2019 with 10 speed auto and large towing capacity?

Near sure I read that on a Facebook article recently but can't find it again.
I think you are right, lots of owners complaining that it will be under powered.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
Unless you really need one I wouldn’t drive one. I’ve driven more comfortable tractors up the road and the manual gearbox in them is pish. My opinion of course. Far better with a proper Jeep of some description but unless you really need a pickup up an Amorak drives so much better or even a HiLux

Dave..

RMS Regular
Unless you really need one I wouldn’t drive one. I’ve driven more comfortable tractors up the road and the manual gearbox in them is pish. My opinion of course. Far better with a proper Jeep of some description but unless you really need a pickup up an Amorak drives so much better or even a HiLux
For me I have mine in my business and for tax purposes it works but I agree with @RickyB unless you really need one I would buy a proper jeep.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

If you think the manual is bad, dont ever try a 2.2 auto, has to be one of tbe worst engine/box combinations I have ever drove!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars

They are a horrible thing to drive, as are all pick-ups

Reactions: AMG
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.