Full Respray In Plastidip

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS

Right so i watched this.. and my mate and i are going to paint the westfield and his VX220 Matt Black..

Has anyone else done a full car before? any tips?

Cro

RMS Regular
It is NOT easy to fix an area if you go too thick so play it safe on the thin side, have a decent compressor or flow of air or it'll get blotchy. I'll try and remember any problems I had when I did the wheels

Have the surface as clean as possible, any dirt or rough parts will make it a PITA when it comes to removal

Lol and use a mask not like that clown

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've used Simoniz matt black before. Rattle cans:

IMG_0159.JPG

The Jeep is getting the same treatment over Easter :laughing:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
It is NOT easy to fix an area if you go too thick so play it safe on the thin side, have a decent compressor or flow of air or it'll get blotchy. I'll try and remember any problems I had when I did the wheels

Have the surface as clean as possible, any dirt or rough parts will make it a PITA when it comes to removal

Ok well.. thats what i find intriguing about it is the reversal! ... So you just need to clean the surface? no need to prep it or flatten it? It looks so easy to use.. Going to Test it on the VX first LOL

Cro

RMS Regular
Yeah when its thick enough it'll peel off. Thin areas not so much fun trying to remove! Just a good clean will do you well, unless its something like a rough bumper trim then I could see that being problematic. Maybe go thicker on those areas if you have any

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I've used Simoniz matt black before. Rattle cans:

IMG_0159.JPG

The Jeep is getting the same treatment over Easter :laughing:

So is Matt Black just east to paint then? im pretty keen to do this now when i get some time! Can anyone tell me, what if i rock up for an MOT in a Matt Black car thats meant to be yellow? will the MOT gangsters tell me off?

RCT

RMS Regular
I think he'd of been better getting the barbecue on and getting a beer from the fridge in that weather rather than doing that to an expensive Audi.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Yeah when its thick enough it'll peel off. Thin areas not so much fun trying to remove! Just a good clean will do you well, unless its something like a rough bumper trim then I could see that being problematic. Maybe go thicker on those areas if you have any

Right so any areas where the paint may get a better grip then paint it on thicker to make it easier removed ?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I think he'd of been better getting the barbecue on and getting a beer from the fridge in that weather rather than doing that to an expensive Audi.

I know what a joker lol! Im only doing it for a laugh because it needs a touch up here and there.. it would do for a while for abit of fun!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
So is Matt Black just east to paint then? im pretty keen to do this now when i get some time! Can anyone tell me, what if i rock up for an MOT in a Matt Black car thats meant to be yellow? will the MOT gangsters tell me off?

Just change the details on your V5. All you need to do is post it off (Passat used to be red). No big deal.

Matt was easy, that was half a days prep and half a day painting, in the driveway, in the wind. It's hard to keep looking good though, to get it clean looking I needed to wash then give it a wipe with sun of a gun! The Jeep is getting a coat of simoniz tough satin - it's supposed to be more resistant to scratching, UV, etc. Plus it'll be easier kept. Just need to find a local stockist.

For something worth a few quid I'd probably look beyond rattle cans though.

corsacj

RMS Regular
Right so any areas where the paint may get a better grip then paint it on thicker to make it easier removed ?
Spot on mate

Its good stuff for abit of fun and just as reversable as a wrap but without the worries of air bubbles and what not. Cheaper too

I recently did my saxo in army primer, prep work was very minimal and it sticks like nobodies business, but it doesnt have the benefit of easy removal like the plastidip.

All depends if you want to be able to revert back to the old paint

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Just change the details on your V5. All you need to do was post it off (Passat used to be red). No big deal.

Hmm.. well im not really sure thats right because its a temporary finish right? because you can peel it off. So for that reason would i really need to tell them?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Didn't realise that plastidip peels off. Disregard my postings... you can't take spray paint off too easily! lol

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Spot on mate

Its good stuff for abit of fun and just as reversable as a wrap but without the worries of air bubbles and what not. Cheaper too

I recently did my saxo in army primer, prep work was very minimal and it sticks like nobodies business, but it doesnt have the benefit of easy removal like the plastidip.

All depends if you want to be able to revert back to the old paint

Olive green plastidip? Class.. thats almost tempts me more!! where did you get it from? cans or spray tins?

Have you any pics? :grinning:

corsacj

RMS Regular
Olive green plastidip? Class.. thats almost tempts me more!! where did you get it from? cans or spray tins?

Have you any pics? :grinning:
Oh no mate i mean i did it in propper army primer, not plastidip stuff. Its just if you were going the matt/satin look, that theres many options, but its not easily removed at all as it sticks like crazy, even with no prep on parts!

before

304888_10150329682302505_708672504_7885947_1838299410_n.jpg

after (with kit changed etc) in army camo beige zinc primer -still half masked up in this pic though, havent got the finger out to get it finished yet lol

426265_10150581476152505_708672504_8903632_2063039942_n.jpg

That was with a few hours wetsanding with 400grit all over (as its rough thick paint there was no need to go finer)

Would you ever be looking to change the paint back?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Would you ever be looking to change the paint back?

Yes thats the whole point for me really, they panels are gell coated Fibreglass with a coloured dye in them, i would want to totally return the car to standard after year or so or after it started to look alittle rough!

Must try and find a plastidip colour chart online.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
No not matt white. Saw a matt white carbon wrapped Range Rover sport one day and it looked terrible.

really?

Maybe stick with a full matt black respray.. get her BAD looking lol

DSC_0647.jpg

Or replace all the yellow with Matt white! sure peel it off and £65 does it again...

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Just watched the video. It's some product all right. Kind of like a spray on latex or something.

Personally the only matt colour for me is grey/graphite/titanium kind of a colour. This idea...

Satin silver and orange Mini.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Just watched the video. It's some product all right. Kind of like a spray on latex or something.

Personally the only matt colour for me is grey/graphite/titanium kind of a colour. This idea...

View attachment 29348

Thats Far too street cool for my Track SLAG!! there is a grey colour, but i fear it would just look like grey primer! i think matt black would look lethal with some white numbers and a few decals!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Thats what im thinking, and with it being done so well outside theres no hassle. Would be easy to do around the doors and such, to get a really good colour cover.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.