Gaz86's 1994 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo II RS

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Got another few hours to myself today and made some more progress with the bodywork. Rear chassis leg and floor section trimmed and everything clamped in place. I fabricated a little replacement section for the chassis leg to sit in too as that old bit wasn't looking too good. I spoke to Johnny at McMaster Vehicle Rust Solutions who's doing the welding for me and he should be able to come over later this week to get these welded into place 😁
It's such a great feeling seeing it start to turn the corner and bits going back in at long last!!

IMG_20231104_133745.jpg
IMG_20231104_160406.jpg
IMG_20231104_164402.jpg
IMG_20231104_164445.jpg
IMG_20231104_165107.jpg

Some more nice new yellow zinc bolts for the transfer box too 😎 Had to order some new OEM bolts from Ross Sport though as some of these hex head bolts have too big a head on them. Should be here through the week.

IMG_20231104_171936.jpg

And another poster for the workshop wall 😁

IMG_20231104_172221.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
A turning point for the Evo today as some of the donor parts get welded back in 😁 Great to see after all the work that's gone into it to get it this far. Feels like an eternity but as people keep reminding me, it has come a long way in just over a year or so 💪🏻 Hopefully won't be long until it's moved onto the spit.

PSX_20231111_105906.jpg

mylesmck1970

RMS Regular
Drives
'rolla hybri
Yep, you've turned a corner when ur starting to put it back together.... You're on the home straight now (albeit quite a long home straight ;D)

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Very pleased with today's progress. The inner wheel arch/strut tower, outer wheel arch tub and inside part of the rear pocket are now welded back into place. Just need to grind the welds down flat in some areas but very happy with the work done, good strong welds with excellent penetration 👍🏻 Still a bit more to do but it definitely won't be long until it's up on the spit.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Last year I bought an Evo 3 GSR rear seat which although was a fairly close match to my Evo 5 fronts it still bugged me that they weren't exactly the same. Given the level of this build now it just didn't sit well with me. I put a post up on one of the Evo owners groups on Facebook through the week and almost immediately a guy tagged his friend and messaged me to say he was selling a set. After a brief chat and made him an offer he asked where I was from and it turned out the car he'd just bought had just come from Northern Ireland 🙈 Well that car just happened to be our very own @acsmyth's black Evo 5 😎 Small world eh! So long story short I've bought the full interior. The front seats are still at Adams and am collecting them tomorrow evening. They appear to be in excellent condition 👌🏻

received_1029156368292637.jpeg
received_302293232757910.jpeg
received_884334993250502.jpeg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Obviously not a street car then.

You'd think so but he said he was putting an Evo 9 interior into it 🤔 Surely if itbwas going to be a track only car you'd be stripping it out 🤷🏻‍♂️ Don't know. Worked in my favour anyway lol The rear seat was collected this afternoon and should be with me by Friday. Will be selling the spare front seats shortly.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Biggest issue is thermal expansion, but thermal conductivity is also an issue. They take a long time to heat up oil and water and then will hold it for a long time once hot.
Ideally most billet blocks would have the oil and water heated before starting.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Biggest issue is thermal expansion, but thermal conductivity is also an issue. They take a long time to heat up oil and water and then will hold it for a long time once hot.
Ideally most billet blocks would have the oil and water heated before starting.

Interesting. It's not something I've ever looked into before. Think I'll be sticking with my relatively standard 4G63T lol Although I've been offered a Link G4X at a very reasonable price. I'd need to sell some of this excess stuff though. I'm considering parting with the Enkei RP01's and just running the Speedlines 🤔

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Last night I sold the spare Evo 5 Recaro's and Evo 3 rear seat and made a tidy profit and thought I'd use this as half payment towards the new suspension setup 😏

I had these on the MX5 and was really impressed with them. MeisterR Zeta CRD's.

mb17r-ce9a.jpg

32-stage damping adjustments (Compression and Rebound Combined)

Digressive damping with CRD (Close Ratio Damping) technology.

Independent ride height and springs pre-load adjustment.

Front Top Mount: Aluminium with Spherical Bearing and Camber Adjustment
Front Spring Rate: 6 kg/mm
Rear Top Mount: Aluminium with Rubber Bush
Rear Spring Rate: 7 kg/mm