Getting stiffed on car value by insurance...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Currently going through a process which is doing my head in.

I know you folks like details so here goes:

Bought a 2006 Fiesta 1.4tdci 3dr car a couple of months ago. I bought it for one of my staff to use basically as a work-van, and I got it at a steal from some pals in the trade - they used it for exactly the same thing, but wanted to update the fleet (to a handful of Jazzes, why..?)
Cleaned it up, took their graphics off - well, my guy did that, as he took real pride in the wee Ford - and polished and waxed it, we tidied it up and gave it a good going over replacing where needed and it went straight through it's MOT.

A fortnight ago someone pulled across him and there was a T-boning where Fiesta met Passat.

To begin with Oleg was offering to keep it out of insurance and we spent two days mucking about going to meet him until he then decided he wasn't going to stump up the £2k cash we had already agreed and shook on.

So it proceeded via insurance and I contacted CRASH to take care of it for me.
Oleg admitted liability at the scene (police attended) and never changed that. The car obviously is mine and on my trade insurance and 100% legit. My guy would be entitled to his own separate claim for any injury - and to be fair, he's been in pain since, but that's another matter, and outside of my hands.

So the engineer has been to see the Fiesta, which we were able to drive away although it's not healthy with heavy front end damage to all the panels and lights and even the engine - mount broke, threw the belt, clattering, and exhaust broken as well. The engineer, who I've spoken to half a dozen times on the phone, although I've not met him once (he showed up at a different time to what we had arranged) or even been told his name, has gone with a valuation - a 2006 Fiesta 1.4tdci Style is apparently £1535 top "book" price - they're using Glass's Guide. Ours with a few marks and, apparently, above average miles of 115k, is £1350, £1375 at a push.
If I want to retain salvage, it's at an approx value of £100-150 (keeps changing) and the car will be a Cat B (although there is no chassis damage and the engineer indicated that it could be left that I could repair it -i.e. not a B - if I paid more).
The problem is, £1250 - even £1350! - is nothing like the price of one of these.
I've argued till I'm blue in the face with several people at CRASH and the engineer, but apparently the only "option" is to get another assessor out, who will also be using the same Guide, or after that, the other insurer's (AXA) assessor, who, well you know, use the same guide as well.

Now it's my understanding that the purpose of insurance is to restore the affected party (me) to the same position (financially) as they were prior to the incident.

Which is not really working when it seems there is not an one Fiesta to be had.

Currently, 3-door Fiesta's of the same shape (02-08), with the 1.4tdci power(ha!)plant seem to range from £1600-2000. Never mind that ours has a fresh MOT and new parts to get it there - it's not some hanging secondhand beater car, it's a cherished little daily worker.
Insurance people don't care. They know, they've admitted, they can't find one either, but they think as long as they give me the "value" of the car, then I should be happy with that. Except they are not. Not by a long way. It's not that I need to stick the arm in, or that I'm being undervalued on some classic car or rare machine. But quite simply, the figure on the table, which simply can't be pushed any higher, isn't capable of replacing the car - and I've been told I definitely won't be allowed to put this one back on the road even.

So to sum it up - I'm being offered £1375 (absolute max) on a car that is valued in Glass's at £1535 for an immaculate low miler - and the cheapest one for sale that isn't a complete shed is £1695. Notwithstanding that I have to go get it, loss of paid staff hours, tax and insure it, and all the other things you do when you get a new car that needs to be ultimately reliable, like replace the 10 year old battery, and the flat, bald, spare tyre, and the wipers, and give it a proper service...
Simple cause is that the Guide is wrong on it's figures, but the insurance company refuses to go and buy me the replacement. Obviously, because they know they can't. Still dealing via CRASH at this point, and the handler there understands, but knows she can't do any more.

Very frustrating. Supposed to be making a decision at the minute, instead I'm just fuming. Why am I out of pocket over some guide book that everybody has their noses stuck in that has no bearing on reality?

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
In your situation I would make them aware that your next step is in insurance ombudsman as they have already admitted that they/you cannot replace the vehicle with the offer

Unfortunately the fact it had just been given all the mechanical work isn’t going to come into it but you should be able to replace the vehicle with the settlement

wes

RMS Regular
Has there not been people on here before, that have found similar cars miles condition etc and. Priced them and went back to insurance company to re-nagotiate their compensation

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Judging by the others on autotrader £1375 is a fair price.
1B19E6DA-A543-451A-AC75-034AE9949999.png
9C162D8B-35BE-45A1-8F32-AE651FE08B3E.png

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Anytime I’ve been in a similar situation myself or have had to help friends/colleagues, providing similar (highly priced) examples for sale currently ALWAYS works. I don’t recall ever having to go by the figure from the assessor before.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
It's not what you want to hear but I'd say the insurance company are being fairly realistic in their estimation and by your own admission you've got it for a steal so are probably still in the green. I take it you don't have gap insurance in your policy? Can that even be applied to business policies?

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Also, I would check the value of the vehicle on your policy, it may vary from company to company however I know mine had a valuation online which I changed and made sure was correct on the paperwork they emailed me.

colin84

RMS Regular
A friend had his car wrote off recently, and he done quite well out of it. He was with some English company, they asked what he paid for the car, and they asked for local examples of his car for sale. Also they took into consideration that he had just had the turbo replaced, and asked for receipts. He got £3200 for the car, despite only paying £2500 for it 6 months previously.

Although in this case he wasn't the one at fault, but I think if you can find plenty local examples of your car for sale, and provide any receipts, that will be your best bet.

Dave..

RMS Regular
It's not what you want to hear but I'd say the insurance company are being fairly realistic in their estimation and by your own admission you've got it for a steal so are probably still in the green. I take it you don't have gap insurance in your policy? Can that even be applied to business policies?
@Dusty
Yes I have it on my van and the wife`s car that is insured for business use.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Judging by the others on autotrader £1375 is a fair price.
Yep, there are cars that price for sale - but not in this country. For anything in England, factor in £350-400 to get it back home, and then you're relying on the honesty of sellers on the mainland...

Anytime I’ve been in a similar situation myself or have had to help friends/colleagues, providing similar (highly priced) examples for sale currently ALWAYS works. I don’t recall ever having to go by the figure from the assessor before.
That's what I'm doing at the minute. The solicitors on the case are going for this option with me.

What I paid for the car is 100% irrelevant. What it will cost to replace it is entirely the issue.

Also, I would check the value of the vehicle on your policy, it may vary from company to company however I know mine had a valuation online which I changed and made sure was correct on the paperwork they emailed me.
I'm not claiming off my insurance, so I don't think whatever value I would have it down as would matter much. Which would be trade price only anyway.

The whipper will compensate the low car valuation.
Morally dubious. That's not what it's there for, and any injury claim will be nothing to do with me anyway.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I've just sent the solictors screenshots of 7 different websites (UCNI, Ebay, DD, AT etc) showing the cars available at the minute (04-07 1.4tdci 3dr) and there's only one for sale under £1500, and that's £1325 and in Taunton. In fact the only other one under £1600 is also in Somerset...

smb1

RMS Regular
Drives
golf gti
insurance companies are bast***s,they just take the money an god help you if ya need to make a claim,you never get wot the cars worth

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Happened with my old van.
Got it for pennies on the pound, subsequently wrote it off, then insurance offered £5k.
At the time the van was 3 years old with 35k miles on it, and fully specced new was £32k or something stupid.
Some similar examples were sent to them and we eventually settled on £11k which would have replaced it, but not exactly like for like as there simply wasn't another one of the same spec for sale anywhere.
It's part of the game, first two offers are generally sh*te, they are just chancing their arm to get out cheap.
just push back. If you have gone with a proper insurer and not just for the cover note they will look after you.

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
Only managed to get 900 quid back on a Jazz we paid 1400 for not that long before it was obliterated while parked.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
So it stands you more than the insurance offer?
Irrelevant. What it will take to replace it is the issue at hand.

If you have gone with a proper insurer and not just for the cover note they will look after you.
I'm not claiming off my insurance, nor am I dealing directly with the liable insurers. At the minute CRASH are working on my behalf towards the liable insurers (AXA), and it's me that's telling them the value has to be put up. No settlement offered from AXA as yet.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Irrelevant. What it will take to replace it is the issue at hand.

Now it's my understanding that the purpose of insurance is to restore the affected party (me) to the same position (financially) as they were prior to the incident.

Was in reference to this paragraph. Strictly financially speaking.

There's always a bit of back & forth with these sorts of things. Ask for more and produce some sensible examples. The insurance co's are used to negotiating and build this into their model.

RevT

RMS Regular
I’d have thought the money was perfectly fair but yea just get screenshots and send them off. It’s how I last settled with an offer on a car and a few mates have done the same. All of us got more than fair money in the end up.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I went through the same **** with mine years ago. Basically they just expect you to suffer a loss. There is no you should not be out of pocket, or expect like for like etc etc.

Insurance companies are just ****s, end of story.

I had to suffer a financial hit in getting cash in lieu of settlement so I kept my van and had it repaired. but now several years later, ****ty quality repairs/painting/rustproofing are showing well with rusting which has a further impact. So the cost of the crash lives on even now.

If someone else crashes into you and it is their fault, in no way whatsoever should you be out of pocket, nor should you be expected to receive anything less than what you currently had in terms of quality, value, condition, specification. And that's without even getting into the hassle of having no vehicle

purplea4T

RMS Regular
If you properly paid trade price then you should be making money with the insurance valuation.
In one way I agree with this because if you’ve bought it at trade you’ll have paid under retail or book for it so *might* gain, but if you’re a regular boy in the street who’s bought it as a punter you similarly *might* incur a loss.
I know it’s all well and good getting adverts for cars that are for sale, but what are they actually selling at? If a fiesta was up for sale at £1600 I as a buyer wouldn’t be expecting to pay that, I’d be looking to part with £1350/1400.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.