Golf Queries

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ghost

RMS Regular
Firstly, Love the car !

Secondly, fitting a HID kit to the car, and finding it very difficult to get the left hand side bulb casng etc off as the battery is in the way. Is the only option to take the battery out? if so, i know the radio will reset etc, but i dont think i have the radio code.....What to do?

Thirdly, Steering wheel is worn abit as the golfs seem to do. Would like to replace it with something nice, but not sure. Any suggestions? Would like to keep it OEM.

Fourthly, Can hear the brakes screeching now as i brake, i assume this is the pads wearing down, but i would also like to upgrade the entire brake system. Any suggestions for this? Would the GTI system work without having to convert? or any other better systems without spending to much flash of the cash?

Many thanks

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Baxter you can buy a memory saver from Draper from most Halfords Stores this will keep enuff power in your car to save you losing the radio code. Take the battery out for easy access to your bulbs.

Hmm as for steeing wheel this is nice oem Porsche wheel out there that looks rite at home in mk4s.

Upgrade your brakes to the 280mil ones. They come standard on most 130bhp Golfs and are quite a good set up in standard form. But you can upgrade to bigger ones for a few xtra pounds speak to Andy Gdon he upgraded his ibiza brakes to 312mil afaik.

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
mine was the 130bhp, does that mean they should have them brakes?

might head to halfords tomorrow, any pictures of the porsche wheel?

Would i be able to change the emblems from porsche to vw on the wheel?

thanks

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Yea you should have fairly good brakes as it.

Thats the wheel. As for changing the emblem i dont think you could..
DSCF0895.jpg

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
What about a GTI wheel? Yeah brakes seem good enough, may just change the pads and give the calipers and old spray.......Maybe a flourescent yellow haha

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
Hmmmm, any ideas on price for it?

Thanks chris

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
Many thanks.

Clio looked mint today btw, also, the ladies in the car never seemed to get out ?!?!? Did you lock them in lmao?

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
the bigger 312mm brakes are off audi TT's, then drilled and grooved (y)

i wouldnt go for the porsche wheels. looks stupid with the badge etc...why would you want that!?! i can understand the alloys, at least you can get different center caps etc.

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
afaik the anniversary has the bigger brakes too you could prob get parts for ones and bolt them straight on.

Wot car is that porsche steering wheel in? im assuming its an Audi cos of the Quattro badge but the seats look like the Mk5 GTi seats...and the dashboard looks terrible!

Pete

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
PeJe its my mates old mk4 golf. There Audi Rs4 Seats and its fitted with a TT dash.

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
Hmmmmmm tis a possibility.

Does any one on here fancy removing a set of coilovers for me?

brendy

RMS Regular
Porsche anything in a golf is wrong, much in the same scale of wrongness as a fat girl wearing ballet shoes.
If the brakes are grinding, check your discs now and look for scoring, if they are scored and you can feel them with your fingers, you will probably have to replace them as well. GSFcarparts will be your best bet for either brembo plain discs and pagid fr pads, less than a ton all in.

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
Where is GSFcarparts?

Yeah, the wheel looks nice, but wouldnt want he badge in the golf!

Why would the discs be scored?

brendy

RMS Regular
If your brakes are grinding its because they are down to the metal backing of the plate. It could also be buggered pads that arnt totally worn through though.
German Swedish & French are in boucher a few units up from BMW.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I wouldnt be fitting brakes without guidance from someone whos done it before.

"Screeching" brakes could just mean dirty brake pads, rather than you having no pads left whatsoever.

Ghost

RMS Regular
OP
Ghost
Yeah, knowing me, i would make a hash of them and end up going through a brick wall. Will call down tomorrow.

Also, want the roof lining of the car and dark grey or black. Any ideas how to do this? Would spraying it be sufficient?

many thanks

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Porsche anything in a golf is wrong, much in the same scale of wrongness as a fat girl wearing ballet shoes.

Lovely brendy just u stick to your standard cars (y). I will sleep better knowing that anything Porsche is wrong for Golfs.

brendy

RMS Regular
Touch a nerve there tufty? VW are a decent brand on their own, they make plenty of accessories and bits from tuners are widely available, would you stick porsche turbo badges onto a 16v?
Some people put porsche wheels onto their vw's etc more people dont, noone is more right than the other, its called personal choice.
You have your opinion, I have mine.
For reference, I havent owned a "standard" motor since I began driving 13 years ago.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Not really brendy. As you say we all have are own personal choices when it comes to cars.

I wouldn't be one to stick a Porsche Turbo badge onto a 16v but i wouldn't turn down any Porsche breaks are the likes.

I just shot myself in the foot there with that comment about you owning standard cars opps.

Any how its an acquired taste.

Hows the Vrs going?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.