Gumtree now charging!! :-(

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BigP

RMS Regular
Drives
V10 Touareg
For a fully fledged business, the cost of advertising is tax deductable

Gumtree/Ebay have thier heads screwed on here. They bought the platform and developed it by investing hundreds of thousands into the infrastructure. They have finally achieved a high number of constant visitors and advertisers. Now they want paid for it...........they have always been a corporation with shareholders, what did you thing was going to happen?

Here are a couple of things that I personally think this will stop:

1. I have watched a little Daihatsu Terios being sold my by my old man for £1250 to being advertised for £1495 a day later. This same car was then advertised be someone completely different for £1695 2 weeks later. Finally it was advertised again at £1850 by another seperate "private seller" just 2 weeks ago with 25k less miles (Trading Standards were informed but the seller says it was a mistake). I think this is a prime example of dodgy driveway dealers.

2. Driveway dealers outside of the system. If your selling cars that you do not drive and havnt really owned then your a car dealer. You are therefore liable for the vehicle being sold under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. If your selling cars you SHOULD be inside the system to protect consumers. Some of the shady dealing that goes on is beyond scandalous in the same class as cowboy builders. ANY business ie buying and selling items for a profit, should be answerable to both the law and the tax system.

Gumtree is a great spot in most instances and a viable advertising forum for any business. Im not sure if the prices are competitive but I genuinely believe it will make Gumtree a safer and more proffessional place for car dealers whilst allowing genuine private sellers to sell for free.

Ge0rge

Banned
Shady dealings? Can't speak for us all but I sell cars from between £500 to £1000 at most, but mainly below £500 i offer no warranty / come back sold as seen you get what you pay for if you ant a big warranty for peace of mind then go to a main dealer etc, to be fair this last few years I've had maybe 2 people moaning as they know the cars are cheap and cheerful it's usually people looking a wee cheap runabout to use til the tax/mot runs out if I were selling cars way up the money into thousands the that would be different IMO

Ge0rge

Banned
And I don't buy off gumtree and up the price a few hundred the next day, I buy something needing work like gearbox, clutch, engine or just needing mot'd sort it out (hence why I'd call it a pass time) then sell it on.

BigP

RMS Regular
Drives
V10 Touareg
Shady dealings? Can't speak for us all but I sell cars from between £500 to £1000 at most, but mainly below £500 i offer no warranty / come back sold as seen you get what you pay for if you ant a big warranty for peace of mind then go to a main dealer etc, to be fair this last few years I've had maybe 2 people moaning as they know the cars are cheap and cheerful it's usually people looking a wee cheap runabout to use til the tax/mot runs out if I were selling cars way up the money into thousands the that would be different IMO

I am pointing no fingers George and I certainly dont make the law

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Just had an ad removed by the gumtree team, stating that i cannot sell more than one item per advertisment.

The ad in question was for various remaining items from a MR2 that i broke for parts last year.
Just listed about 8 things in the ad, all with individual prices to save on posting 8 seperate ads only to have it removed!! :mad:

I think its taking the policing a bit too far

andy_mcc

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf R 7.5
Just had an ad removed by the gumtree team, stating that i cannot sell more than one item per advertisment.

The ad in question was for various remaining items from a MR2 that i broke for parts last year.
Just listed about 8 things in the ad, all with individual prices to save on posting 8 seperate ads only to have it removed!! :mad:

I wonder what sad fart has the 'job' of sitting going through ads one by one and enforcing their policies like this, no thanks

BigP

RMS Regular
Drives
V10 Touareg
GumtreePolice.jpg

usedcarsni.com

RMS Trader
Drives
Nissan Almera
Hi all,

We've noticed the Gumtree change too here in Used Cars NI because we've been busy signing up a lot of new accounts from small traders in the past week. Below are some details about our current pricing and service. I appreciate this looks like a trade post, but there is quite a bit of guesswork about us earlier on in this thread that we really should clear up, and I think the info included will be of genuine interest to RMS posters.

Our Rates
------------

A typical busy dealer does NOT spend four figures a month with us! Below is a selection of rates from our rate card to give you an idea of what we charge dealers :
3 cars : £22.50 pm
5 cars : £36.00 pm
10 cars : £63.50 pm
20 cars : £97.50 pm
60 cars : £200.00pm
You'll notice that you can have 60 cars online with Used Cars NI for the price of one of these Gumtree trade accounts that everyone is talking about.

Dealer Services
------------------

Trade account holders with Used Cars NI get access to a lot of other services such as cheap history checks, valuations, warranties, free trade-to-trade sales, discounted fuel card and more.

Numbers
-----------

Hits on Used Cars NI are going better than ever at the moment. Below are our hits for the last 7 days in Google Analytics.

Visits
chart

Pageviews
chart

Pages / Visit
chart

Avg. Visit Duration
00:14:17
chart

Bounce Rate
14.24%

On a numbers of cars basis against Gumtree, we have 19,218 cars for sale in Northern Ireland against their 11,985. Because of their 2 car rule though, they still have a lot of duplicates. We have hardly any duplicates, spam or fraudulent ads. Also, their number of cars is falling, while ours is rising.

Private Sales
---------------

We charge £4.99 for a private sale for 28 days, or £7.99 to also include it in two issues of the Used Cars NI magazine. Magazine sales are up by 40% since Autotrader closed their mag in June, and we are looking at increasing the print run at the moment.

Jookit.com
------------

Not a lot of people know this, but Jookit is owned by Used Cars NI. We've been quietly making a lot of improvements to the Jookit site this year and have recently started putting all new Jookit ads free into the back of the Used Cars NI magazine. Hits and page impressions are now really starting to build momentum.

Another thing that hardly anyone knows is that if you put your car on free to Jookit, it also goes on to Used Cars NI for free (but just for four days).

All the best,

Cecil

Used Cars NI

borasimon

RMS Member
Drives
bora
Another thing that hardly anyone knows is that if you put your car on free to Jookit, it also goes on to Used Cars NI for free (but just for four days).

I never knew that, handy to know as well

I think gumtree will soon realise they have mispriced their adverts and come back with a different pricing structure

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
Yeh if you go to payment and hit cancel it goes live anyway, as said tho not all time time, getting in the way of multiple email accounts tho when I have too. I use used cars regular aswell. Makes my cars look cheap!

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Regarding used cars ni.
£36 for 5 cars per month is very resonable in my book.

I don't know how some of you guys be bothered with setting up multiple email accounts etc just to get free ads on gumtree, same applies to deleting and re entering ads daily just to bump them up. All very boring and time consuming.

Ge0rge

Banned
Regarding used cars ni.
£36 for 5 cars per month is very resonable in my book.

I don't know how some of you guys be bothered with setting up multiple email accounts etc just to get free ads on gumtree All very boring and time consuming.

Copy and paste, a new ad can be put up in a minute or 2 tops.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.