Hot hatch minefield- which one?

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Another car to throw into the mix, i30N. Facelift due shortly on it and they’re introducing a DCT box.

they’re loaded with kit, sound great, handle brilliantly and the warranty is excellent, even includes track day use.

not the Fastest in a straight line as some or economical either but a great hot hatch.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Another car to throw into the mix, i30N. Facelift due shortly on it and they’re introducing a DCT box.

they’re loaded with kit, sound great, handle brilliantly and the warranty is excellent, even includes track day use.

not the Fastest in a straight line as some or economical either but a great hot hatch.

I love the i30n and they are a lot of car for the money. Out of all I would be looking at type r, Cupra or i30n. I had a 280 Cupra for near 2 years and i still miss it.

combergti

RMS Regular
OP
combergti
Drives
mk6 golf gti
Would a mk7 GTi with performance pack be an option? More engaging drive than an R and with the PP you get a limited slip diff. Revo stage 1 brings it over 300 bhp.

Yeah possibly actually. Currently got a mk6 golf gti with a revo stage 1.

Need to get a chance to see that type r already rang about it.

Sat in that leon and found the seats not to have much sideways support

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
no mention off the astra vxr gtc ?

Always overlooked because of the badge tbh, I’ve had a carbon black one from new and it’s a cracking car, still have it and prob won’t get rid of any time soon either, even now i love how It looks and how much road presence it has, goes round the bends well too (even better now due to the kw v3s) had a good run on a back road with a golf r and he was not gaining any ground at all and it wasn’t for the want of trying I can assure you :grinning:

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Always overlooked because of the badge tbh, I’ve had a carbon black one from new and it’s a cracking car, still have it and prob won’t get rid of any time soon either, even now i love how It looks and how much road presence it has, goes round the bends well too (even better now due to the kw v3s) had a good run on a back road with a golf r and he was not gaining any ground at all and it wasn’t for the want of trying I can assure you :grinning:

i still have mine also in black would surprise you for the price ( around £14000 ) and not that many about
0515529B-0E61-4989-88E5-794D13AE872B.jpeg

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Always overlooked because of the badge tbh

Same with the French alternatives too imo, especially on our shores.

To the OP though, I would be looking at the Civic or the Megane out of those 4 options. You would get a well specced Megane 3 RS for well under £20k - ie Ohlins, Recaros, Akrapovic etc. As great the Civic is I just couldn’t live with the looks but that’s personal preference.

Won’t say too much about the S3 or Golf other than neither would be for me - don’t want to offend 90% of the forum 😃😃.

i30N is a one to look at as a wildcard and I was very very close to buying one just before I put the deposit down on my current car.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Same with the French alternatives too imo, especially on our shores.

To the OP though, I would be looking at the Civic or the Megane out of those 4 options. You would get a well specced Megane 3 RS for well under £20k - ie Ohlins, Recaros, Akrapovic etc. As great the Civic is I just couldn’t live with the looks but that’s personal preference.

Won’t say too much about the S3 or Golf other than neither would be for me - don’t want to offend 90% of the forum 😃😃.

i30N is a one to look at as a wildcard and I was very very close to buying one just before I put the deposit down on my current car.

Always forget about the i30N, always good to see another VAG lover come out :p

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I really like the i30N, I just couldn't look past the quality of the interior, which is frankly terrible.

But a great looking, and sounding hot hatch.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Although my Mégane Rs250 cup (remapped to 315bhp) would have been much more composed than my MK2 focus RS across the back roads and track, the focus was such an event - it was the classic case of when a car that is flawed in little ways can become something you truly love and look forward to any journey.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I have driven majority of the above and personally the biggest let down was the gti / golf r , I was so convinced that was my next car. I didn’t hate it but at the same time didn’t drive home in it. The bmw drives well but is ugly, the Hyundai still looks like a Hyundai 😂 the civic type r is fantastic, brilliant sound and drive but looks like either a middle life crisis or hot wheels enthusiast. I went for a diesel amg merc (Boring) in the end but If I was dead set on a hot hatch it would be a focus Rs. Done

Zach57

RMS Regular
I wouldn’t look past the Peugeot 308 GTI 270, comes with 4 pot Alcon brakes and an LSD. I drove one one for a few days last year and it was great fun.
id be looking at the 308, 130N and Megane.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Focus RS prices have remained pretty stable even through Covid which proves not only do they have a following, that it’s a good product. The same year & miles Golf R dropped 50%.

The Hyundai looked appealing & the Renault gets outstanding reviews on handling but drift mode & pops/bangs from standard means the Focus is the best but preowned.

I’ll have one in magnetic grey please, shell seats ta.