Hot Hatches : Too big for their Boots?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Personally I find my mk2 leon more fun to drive than the golf R. Everything comes too easy to the Golf R, and I'm not nearly capable or brave enough to push it to the point that it becomes "interesting" in the twisties, and even at that point all the haldex wizardry would take much of that challenge away. Side by side races are a matter of pressing a few buttons and then holding on.
The leon feels more fun to drive, it's not a very quick car but carrys momentum and handles well so when you do get through a twistie section quickly with it, it's far more rewarding.
Love the golf and would happily keep it on as an everyday car but I've scratched the itch now and I'm happy to move on and see what mk8 brings to the table

PhilM

RMS Regular
Think you got to be looking at something smaller than these new family sized hatchbacks if you want to keep the fun factor

Polo
Fiesta
Abarth500
Ibiza

All with some tunage

Yes the sort you used to do to the older hot hatches that you aren't allowed to do to you leased/hp Leon or golf or focus

Phil

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
My mum drives a 140bhp Abarth 500 and its truly great fun.

A lot of the modern stuff is very quick and capable. Great daily driver material which I guess is what a hot hatch is meant to be historically. Im just a bit indifferent to them personally.

Im not a fan of overtly sensible cars as dailies in fairness. I think the 172/182s are very good. But just missing that last bit of absolute feel a well setup 205 would have.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.