How long should a typical crash repair take?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Let an E46 go for assessment and they stole all the petrol out of it! Absolute gits.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
When they take the car away...in many respects that is just theft and as others say, they basically hold your car ransom which makes negotiations from their side a lot easier....easier to screw you over.

If you can get cash in lieu of a repair and keep the car, you might be able to avoid it being categorised. And as said, just buy a door and throw it on.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Insurance company want it going to a place in broughshane for assessment. I’ll get the name. When I get home from work.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
If it is fixable, should I also not get a choice where it goes?
A lot of companies say you have to go to a certain bodyshop who will give an insane quote and charge for storage and courtesy car. As stated keep at your gaf and get the assessor to come to you.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Will find out more when I head home here and try to sort that out. I’m just hoping it is wrote off, would rather get the money and sort a new car for him.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Will find out more when I head home here and try to sort that out. I’m just hoping it is wrote off, would rather get the money and sort a new car for him.
I’d say fair chance it will be as Volvo parts aren’t cheap

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
In the current climate, I wouldn't want to be looking for another car. It'll be a write off at that age no doubt so take the salvage and get a door and a wing. Done that a few times and it's a much easier way out financially than ending up buying another car which will inevitably be much dearer.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
In the current climate, I wouldn't want to be looking for another car. It'll be a write off at that age no doubt so take the salvage and get a door and a wing. Done that a few times and it's a much easier way out financially than ending up buying another car which will inevitably be much dearer.
True but he has a bit saved and was wanting to change soon anyway. I’ll then hopefully get the car salvage for myself and use it to run into work. Would just repair it as cheap as possible.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I’d say you could find a white door and wing too as was a popular colour

purplea4T

RMS Regular
We bought a wee Polo last year with similar damage, was a Cat S as the assessor thought there might have been A pillar damage. New door bolted up as if it'd never been hit, hinge pin was all shapes though. Be a handy wee home repair, I'd be tempted to leave the wing🤣

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
friend had 2012 mercedes rag top rear ended, its been in wrights for ages getting fixed. i thought it was a cert to be written off. At best its a £15k car . the car he was given is costing £200 a day. the total bill so far for his car hire is more than his own car is worth and that is before the cost of fixing his merc and the 2 personal injury claims, its mad.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
friend had 2012 mercedes rag top rear ended, its been in wrights for ages getting fixed. i thought it was a cert to be written off. At best its a £15k car . the car he was given is costing £200 a day. the total bill so far for his car hire is more than his own car is worth and that is before the cost of fixing his merc and the 2 personal injury claims, its mad.

And the insurance company will be raking in money from somewhere too or whoever is being claimed off.

Again, more reasons why insurance is so expensive.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
They make more £ out of the courtesy car than the repair so keep stuff ages. Know a few people left stuff with big name companies and they’d their cars 3mth for repairs that should have taken a week

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
Last year I was hit from behind while stationary and I hit the car in front, low speed so only new f&r bumper skins and paint required. InsCo sent me to Wrights and arranged me a hire car through Enterprise while it was being repaired and my car was ready to collect 2 weeks later.

...Except the paint wasn't a great match and I refused it. Wrights then supplied me with one of their own cars while it was sorted and that took another week or so.

I'm not sure they could've turned it around any quicker so no complaints here.

Last edited:

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Kids… they’ll put years on you!! Still not much further on yet, waiting on assessment. But got a call yesterday, the son has caught a high kerb and scraped what I thought would be a side skirt.. Nope it’s all one panel from the rear quarter to the window pillar! 🤬

So now this will go through his own insurance policy.