Hybrid M5

_Mackers_

RMS Regular
The front of it reminds me off Jim Carey's chin in Me Myself and Irene.
1000024713.jpg

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
The weight gain is crazy. It may be more powerful in its stats, but the bhp/ton is surely down on the previous model. Looks-wise, it's fine, pretty much what we've come to expect of a new model BMW.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I’ll put my head above the parapet and say 727bhp is honestly too much to be usable in the UK or Ireland.

In something special, sure. But in a German saloon?

that 70s show dodgeball GIF

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I’ll put my head above the parapet and say 727bhp is honestly too much to be usable in the UK or Ireland.

In something special, sure. But in a German saloon?

that 70s show dodgeball GIF

Is it though? The power to weight of the previous model M5 was actually greater. Methinks they've gone with this hybrid setup, added all the weight due to the battery and then had to make the car at least 700bhp for it to remain competitive not only with competitors but with it's own predecessor.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
727bhp is also ridiculous in the hands of someone incompetent on the road - eg my dad could go out and buy one but would I want him too?? wouldn't want him behind the wheel of something so powerful

Could say that for any car really depending on the person but surely a line must be drawn at what you can buy based on your experience/ licence/ tests (which arent available) etc...

_Mackers_

RMS Regular
727bhp is also ridiculous in the hands of someone incompetent on the road - eg my dad could go out and buy one but would I want him too?? wouldn't want him behind the wheel of something so powerful

Could say that for any car really depending on the person but surely a line must be drawn at what you can buy based on your experience/ licence/ tests (which arent available) etc...

Ford Mustang GT 500 - 317.3 bhp per tonne
Nissan Skyline GTR R35 - 313.2 bhp per tonne

New M5 works out around 296. Its not really anything to shout about by modern standards.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Bhp/ton is only really relevant for 0-60 though. At a certain point raw power output and aerodynamics play a much bigger role. You also have half a ton extra to stop from silly speeds compared to the older car.

I think it’s awesome they’re being made, it just seems a bit unusable that’s all.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@Artoir Agreed, but in a road car, that point is beyond the nsl. I'm no Saint myself but I just think that it's nonsense as a road car. Useable power and handling is what a road car should be all about.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
@Artoir Agreed, but in a road car, that point is beyond the nsl. I'm no Saint myself but I just think that it's nonsense as a road car. Useable power and handling is what a road car should be all about.
Just evolution is it not. Back in the day when average was 100bhp, I remember the same conversation when first RS4 came out with 375 bhp. OMG to much for the road.

Then the 400 mark was broken, then 500 and so on. With every evolution comes an increase in weight also.

Is 650bhp in a Turbo S to much?

Dave..

RMS Regular
I think it looks great, bhp and top speed are just numbers. I drive like I am on my driving test according to an Aston Martin test driver so I would just enjoy the car.