Impact gun

Hillbill7

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 225
Morning looking a bit of advice, having broken a spring on the Megane I’ve decided to replace all the springs, it’s currently on Cooksports and they only sell them as full sets so might as well replace them all and replace the shocks while I’m at it. So before fighting with bolts I’m thinking of getting an impact. I know Milwaukee are very popular but I don’t do a lot of work on cars so not sure I can justify the cost especially as I would need a battery. So any cheaper models or recommendations very much appreciated

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Not borrow one from a mate?

I have an old sealey one which I would only use a few times a year and hasn't missed a beat

gingfto

RMS Regular
Drives
CLS500 (5.5)
For an odd job you’re right, Milwaukee will be overkill lol

If you have another range of tools for the house/garden have a look at something sharing the same batteries - I picked up a ryobi one a few years ago that’s been grand.

Could get lucky with timing and pick up a park side one from lidl - plenty on here have them and seem to be good value for the price just to have in the toolbox (maybe needs the bigger battery).

Also, welcome to the forum!

Hillbill7

RMS Regular
OP
Hillbill7
Drives
Megane 225
Not borrow one from a mate?

I have an old sealey one which I would only use a few times a year and hasn't missed a beat
Unfortunately most of my mates would struggle taking a wheel off, never mind know what an impact is!! 😂

I’ll have a look at the sealey one

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
As said above, for light use it would be hard to look past the Lidl Parkside one.

Hillbill7

RMS Regular
OP
Hillbill7
Drives
Megane 225
For an odd job you’re right, Milwaukee will be overkill lol

If you have another range of tools for the house/garden have a look at something sharing the same batteries - I picked up a ryobi one a few years ago that’s been grand.

Could get lucky with timing and pick up a park side one from lidl - plenty on here have them and seem to be good value for the price just to have in the toolbox (maybe needs the bigger battery).

Also, welcome to the forum!
I’ve a few bits of Bosch Professional I use but they use the smaller cylinder style battery which they only offer in a 3/8 drive

Was hoping Lidl would have one, I’ve some of their tools and rate them highly, but haven’t seen any in

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Milwaukee - the best
Ingersoll rand - close second if not better but I didn’t go ahead with one so only going by the review of modern tyres
Dewalt - currently what I have is a good all rounder
Makita - they do a 1000nm and 2000nm but I’ve no experience with them but if they are anything like their drills then probably class
Sealey - I found was very under powered, less than half the dewalt iirc unless they do a better one???

And the rest like Amazon specials no use

My personal preference is the dewalt

brendy

RMS Regular
I have the Ryobi one plus kit, for what I need, it works well (I do have other one plus stuff too so does well using only a couple of batteries between all of them).

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Another vote for Ryobi, I'd use mine very occasionally and it's been good. Got it from Halfords when they had a deal on which let you pick 2 free items. Got the gun and 2 batteries for £105. Worth keeping an eye out for if they run it again.

brendy7

RMS Regular
I’ve a few bits of Bosch Professional I use but they use the smaller cylinder style battery which they only offer in a 3/8 drive

Was hoping Lidl would have one, I’ve some of their tools and rate them highly, but haven’t seen any in

I've a parkside impact gun here In ARDS I don't use anymore if it's any interest to you

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
my mechanic swears by his milwaukee fuel impact, and i believe him, but overkill for my needs - i got this 1/2" dewalt few years ago and its been more than sufficient

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 13.46.13.png

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
Being honest I’d just get yourself a few sizes of breaker bars instead. I’ve done every job imaginable on different cars, including lots of suspension work and being honest I hardly ever use an impact.

I have a lot of the Ryobi One+ range, and I bought a 3/8 impact while over in America. It’s got no worth of power but just useful to spin things on and off, but I let the breaker bars do all the work!

Hillbill7

RMS Regular
OP
Hillbill7
Drives
Megane 225
Being honest I’d just get yourself a few sizes of breaker bars instead. I’ve done every job imaginable on different cars, including lots of suspension work and being honest I hardly ever use an impact.

I have a lot of the Ryobi One+ range, and I bought a 3/8 impact while over in America. It’s got no worth of power but just useful to spin things on and off, but I let the breaker bars do all the work!
Maybe I need to hit the gym more or get a bigger bar as the last time I replaced a spring I was hanging of my bar cursing my car!!

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Maybe I need to hit the gym more or get a bigger bar as the last time I replaced a spring I was hanging of my bar cursing my car!!
The only thing I will say I know the ones on here recommending ryobi, parkside etc but if you need to use a breaker bar then none of the cheapies will do your job. They will do the lightest of jobs which is handy for some boys but unless your going to spend 300 plus quid you’ll still need your bar

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’ve done loads with my Parkside tbh. It’s not mega powerful but has decreased my overall likelihood of shearing the head off a bolt.

Prime example was subframe bolts on a 30 year old motor that are notorious for snapping. Parkside took a good rattle at them before they finally came loose but it did the job for me. Even just the hammer action on a bolt seems to ease things a bit even if it sometimes doesn’t get the bolt out, which in fairness 95% of the time it manages with the big battery fitted.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34

I used to use that logic but then tried undo the hub nut on a MK2 Golf that had sat for guts of 20 years. Extra length of pole on a breaker, 2 people swinging on it and then another trying to shock it with a sledge wouldn't move it. Borrowed a Milwaukee off a mechanic friend and it was off in 2 secs. Have since bought one the same and it is a godsend for everything!

Appreciate likely overkill for the thread though! DeWalt stuff is pretty good too.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Is one of the Clarke electric jobs out of Machine Mart an option?
I’ve had one for years and it would snap your wrist! But not easy to get into tight spots.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
I had been using a Makita DTD156 for ages, it was grand for most things but you wouldn't get a wheel nut off with it or anything like that. Tried a Milwaukee Fuel and was pretty impressed by it. Since buying one and don't think I have even looked at the Makita since. For smaller jobs, I'm getting away with using an electric ratchet off amazon I got for £30.