itv teletext page 184

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

vza

OP
vza
i thought a larger wheel base would be prefereable for stability and that sort of thing(which is why the use of amini for rallying still baffles me)

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
vza said:
i thought a larger wheel base would be prefereable for stability and that sort of thing(which is why the use of amini for rallying still baffles me)

its competing against the suzuki ignis, opel corsa, for puma and other S1600's of similar size...

the idea behing the stability is to get the wheels as close to each corner as possible.... not nessesarily to have a bigger chassis. you have to remember that a smaller car can often be an advantage on certain stages.

Its also a heck of alot lighter because it simply doesn't have as much metal.

vza

OP
vza
ahrite,i get it now,the smaller cars are more maneuverable,makes sense right enough

Fuzz

RMS Regular
Drives
STI Type UK
I certainly aint expecting it to be anywhere near as quick as a 106 gti, it is only group 6 after all

it is a lot nicer in the inside though, also feel so much more solid than the 106/saxo and are pretty well equipped for the price

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
I bought a c2 vtr coz I needed something automatic for a while due to an injury to my left arm.

Citroen HAVE improved the sensodrive gearbox through software updates since its introduction & its now smooth & reasonably quick at swapping cogs.

Granted, It is slower in the traffic light gp's than the saxo vts/106gti's. Once rolling however, they are acually quite comparable as the evolution of the tu5jp4 engine found in the c2 vtr/gt has a greater spread of torque lower down the rev range due to the following differences in spec:

Inlet manifold for C2 is bigger then saxo and as a result valve diameter is bigger on C2 (inlet Valve diameter for C2 31,3mm and 28.8mm for saxo) In both models outlet valves (exhaust) are the same with diameter 24.5mm

Cams timing now is by far better on saxo that’s why performance is less 10HP for C2.

C2 cam timing/lifting : Inlet 8mm, Outlet 7,65mm and 222 degrees duration
Saxo cam timing/lifting: Inlet and outlet 8.7mm and 262 degrees duration

And finally compression is 11:1 and 10,8:1 for C2 and saxo respectively

I've owned the vtr since february and in that time have fitted:

BMC CDA Air box
GMC Motorsport 4-1 S/S Manifold
GMC 2.25" Bore S/S system from manifold back
GMC Motorsport -45mm springs

The C2 has responded well to all these mods, particularly the manifold (as it de-cats also). It is now a lot free'r reving at the top end.

Here's a wee pic of how she looks now:

gmc.jpg

With the c2 vts, I don't think citroen are aiming it at the clio 182's & ctr's. This will be left to the 180bhp C4 coupe due out soon.

The c2 is aimed more at the younger person who is making their first entry into the hot hatch market, and at the end of the day group 8 insurance for a 8 second 0-60 is not too bad at all. I can't think of the top of my head another car to match this.

my 2 cents lol!!

james

vza

OP
vza
the arches look rather nice in that pic but the shape of it is a little close to a smart for my liking.still not bad for the insurance premium and im sure the modability of the car will soon be at a similar standard as the saxo

pablo

RMS Moderator
james - great looking car - was tempted to get one for the missus but went for the 106 gti instead :grinning:

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
@vza - The arches on the c2's are massive, 18's can go straight on apparently & I've even seen one with 19's on :eek: Think I'm just gonna stay light weight though & stick with 16's or maybe a set of 17" superleggeras.

@pablo - If it was'nt for my dodgey arm at the mo I'd av probably got the gti over the c2vtr. Do they still come with half leather? Though I have to say that it is growing on me to the point i'm glad I got one :grinning:

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
six_impressive_hours said:
Granted, It is slower in the traffic light gp's than the saxo vts/106gti's. Once rolling however, they are acually quite comparable .....

ye see what i want to know about these C2's is are they as fun as the 106 GTI and saxo VTS where? At the end of the day.. there is alot of machinery out there with bigger power than the 106 GTI.... but then, the 106 GTI never claims to be a 'big power blow you away kinda machine'.

when you say 'comparable' do you mean that once going, its got the same type of handling characteristics as a GTI??

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
RComms said:
when you say 'comparable' do you mean that once going, its got the same type of handling characteristics as a GTI??

I like the 306 in ur avatar, the red looks real smart. What model is it?

Unfortunately I've never drove either the saxo vts or 106 gti, so can't really comment on driveing these from experience.

I do have a couple of friends with saxo vts's & i've let em have a go driving the c2 vtr & they where very complimentery about the c2.

From driving it myself, i would say that it hangs on very well in corners before the onset of understeer which can then be sorted out with a bit of lift of over-steer which I hear the saxo's/106's where famous for :grinning: I've also heard that the lift of oversteer is not as violent as the saxo/106 & therefore easier to balance.

The c2 is on springs at the back rather than a torson bar which gives greater flexiblity when lowering/setting up.

You should go & take one for a test drive & see what you think, imho it is fun to drive. The refinement & interior are also a fair bit better than the saxo's.

james

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
I like the 306 in ur avatar, the red looks real smart. What model is it?

Its a rallye :grinning:

From driving it myself, i would say that it hangs on very well in corners before the onset of understeer which can then be sorted out with a bit of lift of over-steer which I hear the saxo's/106's where famous for :grinning: I've also heard that the lift of oversteer is not as violent as the saxo/106 & therefore easier to balance.

lol, all pugs and citroens seem to inherit the scary lift of oversteer!! i know what ye mean!

You should go & take one for a test drive & see what you think, imho it is fun to drive. The refinement & interior are also a fair bit better than the saxo's.

I tried to test drive a GT before i bought the 306 after Christmas.... the sales man a ROADSIDE MOTORS, said the GT's where limited editions and they couldn't let me test drive it unless i was serious!! :eek: :? . I was ACTUALLY looking for a car lol, unlike young 'vza' there. I asked how i was supposed to know if i was serious about the car if i hgad never driven it.... and he admitted he didn't know.... so took me in a test drive in a 1.4 Furio.

worked out for the best though!

that VTR of yours looks well, i certainly say that! I quite like the look of them. even the funny window!

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
RComms said:
Its a rallye :grinning:

Nice, very rare & bout 170 bhp if I remember correctly :laughing: Two of my friends have dturbos, ones th 1.9 & the other is the hdi. Both very nice motors.

RComms said:
I tried to test drive a GT before i bought the 306 after Christmas.... the sales man a ROADSIDE MOTORS, said the GT's where limited editions and they couldn't let me test drive it unless i was serious!! :eek: :? . I was ACTUALLY looking for a car lol, unlike young 'vza' there. I asked how i was supposed to know if i was serious about the car if i hgad never driven it.... and he admitted he didn't know.... so took me in a test drive in a 1.4 Furio.

That sounds so lame that they did'nt let you out in one. Hursts in boucher let a friend of mine lose in a gt and she ended up buying a silver one of them.

The furio would be nothing like the gt coz its an 8 valver & at least 35 bhp down on the c2 gt/vtr, or 50 bhp down on a c2 vts which is quite a lot in such a small car.

Think you done ok there with the rallye though! ;)

james

vza

OP
vza
yea,the rallye looks smart

theres a c2 gt at bmw in carn,might get a look round it :p

18's on a hot hatch no problem?!what's the world coming to?its almost as if theyre trying to make it easier to mod!

Adam

RMS Regular
Dont like them at all. A friend was looking forward to getting one and had a test drive and was really dissapointed.

I read a review in Evo magazine where they compared one against a 1.3 106 Rallye and the 106 trounced it in every category except straight line speed. I know which I'd rather have.

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
Adam said:
I read a review in Evo magazine where they compared one against a 1.3 106 Rallye and the 106 trounced it in every category except straight line speed. I know which I'd rather have.

I really would have been very supprised if anyone found that the c2 handled better than one of these. We all know that weight contributes greatly to handling charecteristics. I would guess that there is quite a weight difference between the two whenever you take into account the additional safety features alone which the c2 needed to achieve a 4 star ncap safety test score.

Though this does not mean that the c2 vtr/s is a poor handling car, just obviously not as nibble as a 106 1.3 rallye. Also, If the whole package of performance/spec/safety/space/refinement is taken into consideration I would think that the c2 vtr/s would compare more favourably.

Takes all sorts ;)

james

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.