hannakournikova

RMS Regular
If anyone sees one of these performance planer can they let me know

IMG_4910.jpeg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Was just in a Lidl in Liverpool there that had self checkouts- are there any at home with these that I have missed?!

I was more excited than I should have been probably.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Plastic Tesco / Asda type crates are the solution. Stack 3 high in the trolley and can load them quicker than they can scan the shopping. plus don’t roll about the boot when filled.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
No not at home and def need them....

View attachment 421998

That’s brilliant!

However, their business model is that you don’t pack your shizz at the till, but rather you shove it into your trolley as fast as the ninja cashier fires it through, and then you take it to the big shelf behind the till area to pack it to your satisfaction. (I discovered this by lamenting with a cashier on why to frig is there so little space to pack at the till!

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Do they? They didn't pre-Xmas. They had checkouts for 10 items or less but not self checkouts. The three or four to the left of the main tills.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Plastic Tesco / Asda type crates are the solution. Stack 3 high in the trolley and can load them quicker than they can scan the shopping. plus don’t roll about the boot when filled.
Self scanning in Tesco is far handier. Items scanned, straight into the bag and don’t need to come out trolley again till going into the car. Bar the 1in10 or so times they have to check your stuff.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Was just in a Lidl in Liverpool there that had self checkouts- are there any at home with these that I have missed?!

I was more excited than I should have been probably.

This is one of the reasons I don’t pop into Lidl for a few bits. I always get stuck behind Agnes with a massive trolley who insists on paying with cash.
In England in the summer time it was a case of parking up, dashing in getting the kids some fruit, rolls, salami and cheese and out. A couple of minutes max. They need to roll this out all over the occupied six counties (oh and give us the English price on specials not the Free State mark-up we suffer).

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Any self checkouts I used in France, you are in a pen type affair and can't leave until you scan your receipt. They've a security dude who does random spot checks like IKEA. The grocery stores here must lose a fortune with people robbing stuff on the self checkouts that don't weigh your items (like Eurospar ones).

Gavlar

RMS Regular
This is one of the reasons I don’t pop into Lidl for a few bits. I always get stuck behind Agnes with a massive trolley who insists on paying with cash.
In England in the summer time it was a case of parking up, dashing in getting the kids some fruit, rolls, salami and cheese and out. A couple of minutes max. They need to roll this out all over the occupied six counties (oh and give us the English price on specials not the Free State mark-up we suffer).
X2

91NRwFUJMNL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Any self checkouts I used in France, you are in a pen type affair and can't leave until you scan your receipt. They've a security dude who does random spot checks like IKEA. The grocery stores here must lose a fortune with people robbing stuff on the self checkouts that don't weigh your items (like Eurospar ones).

Sure most places you have to walk through the security barrier but then again, who will chase you?

Scan and go is where its at - I am so surprised the lack of people who don't do this particularly in Forestside Sainsburys - you lift a scanner (or use your phone), pay as you go or pay at the till via the scanner - will take less than 5 mins unless you need approval for buying booze or are randomly selected. While at the same time, joe bloggs x 100 are queueing at the tills like Neanderthals not realising there is a 21st century method to shop with ease

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

M&S is even better, scan on your phone and pay there and then. Don't have to go near the tills

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
This is the most accountant thing I’ve heard in a while tbh 😂 bet you are as smug as hell observing the fools with bags to 😂

Ps, its a great idea.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’m a dull middle aged man that does his Lidl shop at 8am on the same day every week.

Done it this way for years. I can leave, cross traffic in Belfast, get the weekly shop in for 4 people and have it unpacked into the cupboards inside an hour, often less.

I have a route round the store and an order to load and unload the trolley for the most efficiency.

A real game changer for the whole operation was moving from bags to stackable crates and interjecting weighable & bread counter items to slow the checkout assistant down. There's no hard and fast rule there, you just have to feel the situation out at the time.

The worst scenario is coming up to an empty conveyor. Unloading whilst simultaneously allowing the checkout person to scan sinks the operation pretty early on. I'll either join a queue, allow someone to jump ahead or as a last resort send bulky / heavy items down first to jam up the checkout goods waiting area so that they can't scan any more and have to wait.

Before they ask you let them know it's card payment and you should be able to simultaneously punch the pin into the card reader while chucking stuff into the top most crate with the other hand if your operation has had a mishap half-way through.

Anything less is quite frankly school boy stuff. I can and will judge you. 100% fail if the next person is getting stuff scanned and you're still there packing.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I’m a dull middle aged man that does his Lidl shop at 8am on the same day every week.

Done it this way for years. I can leave, cross traffic in Belfast, get the weekly shop in for 4 people and have it unpacked into the cupboards inside an hour, often less.

I have a route round the store and an order to load and unload the trolley for the most efficiency.

A real game changer for the whole operation was moving from bags to stackable crates and interjecting weighable & bread counter items to slow the checkout assistant down. There's no hard and fast rule there, you just have to feel the situation out at the time.

The worst scenario is coming up to an empty conveyor. Unloading whilst simultaneously allowing the checkout person to scan sinks the operation pretty early on. I'll either join a queue, allow someone to jump ahead or as a last resort send bulky / heavy items down first to jam up the checkout goods waiting area so that they can't scan any more and have to wait.

Before they ask you let them know it's card payment and you should be able to simultaneously punch the pin into the card reader while chucking stuff into the top most crate with the other hand if your operation has had a mishap half-way through.

Anything less is quite frankly school boy stuff. I can and will judge you. 100% fail if the next person is getting stuff scanned and you're still there packing.

I’m falling in love with you…stop it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
@Coog do you drift round the corners like a D1 pro with perfect execution mimicking a single turbo manual supra?

While I'm on the topic, one thing I noticed and I think it's deliberate, is there are 5 aisles and 6 rows of shelves. Using the down one, up the other technique means you finish up furthest away from the tills and so need to make your way back down to check out. Normally I use this as an opportunity for a second glance at the middle aisle, which resulted in this incident earlier this week:

IMG_7441.jpg

How to tell someone you're a purveyor of s***e without actually telling them you're a purveyor of s***e.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Don’t tell me you’ve never strategically placed a bottle of wine side ways so rolls in situ to allow you some extra time!?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Not a middle isle thing, but their Freshona Coconut Milk is the best one I've tried. Really thick and creamy.