M3 crushed for being cut and shut

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
The most modern bmw I’ve been under is an e46 and the only ones I’m familiar with is the e36 and z3 🤣

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Unless we have the car infront of us we’re never going to know. It does say 2 estate cars were used to make the body and the panoramic roof so could be more to it than just a 320d estate with 2 stolen m3s bolted and welded to it.

shows up on vehicle enquiry as a 2 litre diesel still. View attachment 335188

Strange it's on the mot history as being petrol

1631476659391.png

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Some things on here craic me up. Jumping to all sorts of conclusions without any facts, defending the car and some how thinking it just had some panels bolted on. Car enthusiasts at times I don’t get, along with we openly gloss over selling of cars chassis plates and log books, which get transferred into stolen cars or on here I got abuse for highlighting that a car was clocked to other people that may have been interested in it. Strange world at times.

M cars and RS cars are stolen regular, nearly uninsurable at times in some areas. There can be no doubt these parts make there way into show cars like this.
kind of like how a jap car on here years ago was found to have the engine from a stolen car

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Some things on here craic me up. Jumping to all sorts of conclusions without any facts, defending the car and some how thinking it just had some panels bolted on. Car enthusiasts at times I don’t get, along with we openly gloss over selling of cars chassis plates and log books, which get transferred into stolen cars or on here I got abuse for highlighting that a car was clocked to other people that may have been interested in it. Strange world at times.

Who’s defending it!? It’s simply been highlighted that the likes of an M3 estate conversion is made using bolt/weld on parts from other cars. The police in the article seem to have implied this process is the dangerous “cut and shut” to dramatise the whole thing a bit. The only issue is if the donor parts are from a stolen car.

KevM

RMS Regular
Did someone not say they took the roof off the 320d shell to install one with a Panoramic roof?

Although it's common enough to do, that kinda ticks the box for them to use the term 'Cut & Shut'.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Did someone not say they took the roof off the 320d shell to install one with a Panoramic roof?

Although it's common enough to do, that kinda ticks the box for them to use the term 'Cut & Shut'.
It’s was me it’s in the article 2 estate cars were used but they don’t elaborate on how they were used.
Two estate vehicles had been used to create the main body and the panoramic roof.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Well, the rozzers may stay off Bimmerpost forum etc or they'll have a 💩 hemorrhage.

It's common practice these days to remove roof skins to replace with a pan roof or carbon roof etc.

The whole article is badly written. An E91 or F31 can be converted very simply, the only welding that needs done is the rear quarter to fit the wide arch. It's no more invasive than replacing a rear quarter after an accident.

There is a guy who built an E91 M3, F81 M3 who is now halfway through a G Series Touring M3 conversion.

Last edited:

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
“Cut and shut” has a well understood meaning. The police force didn’t show anything that demonstrated this was a “cut and shut”. People are rightly sceptical of the police, and what they see and social media, especially also when it comes to technical stuff.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34

M cars and RS cars are stolen regular, nearly uninsurable at times in some areas. There can be no doubt these parts make there way into show cars like this.
kind of like how a jap car on here years ago was found to have the engine from a stolen car
Seemingly the only person jumping to conclusions is you. Don't see anyone defending the car, simply pointing out that a social media post by the police shouldn't be taken as gospel either. Barring potentially a panoramic roof conversion which the details aren't overly clear on really, yes, it pretty much is bolt on work to do that conversion.

You needn't get into historic race cars or you'd have even more to gurn at than usual. 😂

Obviously using stolen parts, cloned identities etc is wrong. Nobody has said it isn't, and certainly don't need you to act as the only one who finds that abhorrent. The 'sexing up' of issues and total lack of any info of actually dealing with the crimes is what has been pointed out.

Also...wonder if that side of the story is more true?
FB_IMG_1631520672968.jpg

FB_IMG_1631520678573.jpg

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra

You woke up and choose violence...... people are just having some light hearted discussions with theories and their own two cents, they arent running to the police screaming "HOW VERY DARE YOU".

Its a Monday and its raining, lets not make today worse hahaha
Seemingly the only person jumping to conclusions is you. Don't see anyone defending the car, simply pointing out that a social media post by the police shouldn't be taken as gospel either. Barring potentially a panoramic roof conversion which the details aren't overly clear on really, yes, it pretty much is bolt on work to do that conversion.

You needn't get into historic race cars or you'd have even more to gurn at than usual. 😂

Obviously using stolen parts, cloned identities etc is wrong. Nobody has said it isn't, and certainly don't need you to act as the only one who finds that abhorrent. The 'sexing up' of issues and total lack of any info of actually dealing with the crimes is what has been pointed out.

Also...wonder if that side of the story is more true?
View attachment 335239
View attachment 335240
And the other side of the story lands.

What a mess that is, a car illegally destroyed and a businesses repuation now in question.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Well, the rozzers may stay off Bimmerpost forum etc or they'll have a 💩 hemorrhage.

It's common practice these days to remove roof skins to replace with a pan roof or carbon roof etc.

The whole article is badly written. An E91 or F31 can be converted very simply, the only welding that needs done is the rear quarter to fit the wide arch. It's no more invasive than replacing a rear quarter after an accident.

There is a guy who built an E91 M3, F81 M3 who is now halfway through a G Series Touring M3 conversion.
Aren't BMW releasing an actual G series touring m3? Hopefully he hasn't just missed the news lol

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
The way I read it I thought they meant it was spot welded together and was well disguised with filler and paint. I remember in the 90s hearing about people being killed by cut and shuts snapping in half.

Maybe it wasn’t legally on the road or maybe they used a vin and v5 from a car that wasn’t declared as written off. I’d love to know more about it and see a pic of the car before it was destroyed 🤣

My aunt and uncle moved to Corfu years ago and ran about in a wee Citroen 2CV. It broke in half one day when they were driving along in it.