Mazda MX5 Mk2.5

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Cheers mate. How’d you get on with your plans?
Got quite a few bits and well on with parts of it. The ABS is out and front lines re-piped, need to remove the dash to get in and figure out the best route for the lines to the rear. Lightweight hardtop half fitted. Considering a different route for the engine but will probably build the ones I have now into one good one and run it with that while I figure out how to do what i want.

Last edited:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Amazing build, will be a weapon when it's complete.

She'll be quite the rod when she's done :laughing: Definitely the most powerful thing I'll have driven anyway. The power to weight ratio will surprise quite a lot of people

Got quite a few bits and well on with parts of it. The ABS is out and front lines re-piped, need to remove the dash to get in and figure out the best route for the lines to the rear. Lightweight hardtop half fitted. Considering a different route for the engine but will probably build the ones I have now into one good one and run it with that while I figure out how to do what i want.

Good luck with the dash lol I had mine partly pulled out last year. Not fun! Mind you it was pishing down and blowing a gale at the time and had to have both doors open lol One of David's hardtops? Throttle bodies??

First time reading this
Awesome build buddy looking forward to forced induction updated

Cheers fella (y) Will have to try and remember to keep this updated

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Block decked, bored out to a snip under 1.9L, line honed, head skimmed (minimal amount), flywheel lightened and rotating assembly balanced (y)

The standard oil pumps in these engines seem to be somewhat of an achilles heel when pushing them to the limits. I got this Boundary Engineering oil pump for £350 Inc postage from Fab9 Tuning in the US. These use larger 4140 chromoly billet steel gears instead of sintered steel ones so they'll withstand up to 90Ksi pressure and deliver 84psi oil pressure. Each pump is precision machined and blueprinted.

I also picked up a Gates water pump, Gates Racing blue timing belt kit, HKS oil filter and 36-2 trigger wheel

Tonight I finished painting the block so now the fun begins...

IMG_20201001_192638.jpg

Screenshot_20201001-204750.jpg

Screenshot_20201001-204746.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Sorting out the garage today before I get stuck into this, cleaning it as much as possible to reduce the risk of contamination getting into the block, virtually impossible to eliminate it all but you can only do your best. Pulled everything out to try and organise everything. This is only some of what's going into this build. The turbo in the photo is for sale if anyone's interested in buying it, drop me a PM (y)

IMG_20201003_160515_652.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
IMG_20201010_181154.jpg

The VAG "R8" coil packs arrived today, loom still to come. These look a hell of a lot better than the standard setup and will deliver plenty more spark at high boost 😎

Last edited:

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Watched wheel dealers this morning where they had a mazdaspeed miata, really reminded me of this. Cracking project.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Dropping a reply in here Gaz so I'm subscribed. No compromise build.... Brilliant.

Picked up from one of the other threads, you'd made a heatshield for the intake. Need to do the same for my k&n typhon to be stop heat soak. I'm no fabricator though... And there's nothing off the shelf will do the job so I'm thinking of putting the OE airbox back on.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Dropping a reply in here Gaz so I'm subscribed. No compromise build.... Brilliant.

Picked up from one of the other threads, you'd made a heatshield for the intake. Need to do the same for my k&n typhon to be stop heat soak. I'm no fabricator though... And there's nothing off the shelf will do the job so I'm thinking of putting the OE airbox back on.

You can have my cold side kit when I'm done with it if you want? Once I go FI it'll be useless to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Drop me a DM when the time comes for sure. I want it boxed off although I guess if it's over on the drivers side, there's way less heat over there anyway.

Liking that ducktail..... I think I might get one soon..

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Drop me a DM when the time comes for sure. I want it boxed off although I guess if it's over on the drivers side, there's way less heat over there anyway.

Liking that ducktail..... I think I might get one soon..

There's a spigot on the heat shield for a cold air feed too 👍🏻

The ducktail was a £50 fibreglass one smoothed into the boot lid when I got the car painted

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
For those interested here is the engine spec...

Block & Head:

Version: BP6D (01-05)
Block bored out to 83.5mm (.5mm overbore)
Head: Mild porting, skimmed
Cleaned, decked and honed
Crankshaft: OEM (Balanced)
Main Bearings: ACL Race (Standard Size)
Thrust Bearings: OEM 01-05
Rod Bearings: ACL Race (Standard Size)
Main Studs: ARP
Head Studs: ARP
Oil Pump: Boundary Engineering Stage II (4 Shims)
Water Pump: Gates (Metal impeller)
Timing Belt: Gates Racing Blue
Harmonic Balancer: OEM
Trigger Wheel: BOFI Racing 36-2
Connecting Rods: Maxpeedingrods Forged & balanced
Pistons: Wiseco 83.5mm (8.4:1 Compression) Balanced
Piston Rings: Wiseco XX
Head Gasket: Cometic .056" 84mm
Oil Filter: HKS magnetic
Cams: OEM
Cam gears: OEM
Valves: OEM
Valve springs: Volvo VS-855

Ignition:

Spark Plugs: NGK BKR7E
Leads: VAG R8 Coil Pack Conversion
Sequential Ignition

ECU:

Link G4+
Will be mapped by Richard Bradley

Intake:

Manifold: OEM
Throttle Body: OEM

Fuel:

Fuel Rail: Radium Engineering
FPR: Tomei Billet FPR
Fuel Injectors: Bosch EV14 640cc
Fuel Pump: Walbro 255LPH

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Impressive spec Gaz, should be good for some serious power. (y) :cool:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
I had meant to get this done weeks ago but my torque wrench decided to quit on me and had to wait until I got paid to buy a replacement (n)
Tonight I finally got around to measuring my bearing clearances and am happy to report that all is within spec (y)...... and yes I got bored one day and made a spreadsheet that would turn green if my measurements were within tolerance 🙈😂

Whilst checking the bearing clearances I torque'd up the ARP studs, loosened them off and re-torqued them again a few times to help with the break in process.

Bearing Measurements 15.11.20.jpg
IMG_20201115_170131.jpg

Nothing much else to report right now really other than getting a PnP loom made up to run my R8 coil packs

Last edited:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Not much to report lately as we've mostly been saving like mad for our new house and all the associated costs of selling a house. I've kinda decided to hold off building the new engine until I get into the new house as I'll have much more space to work, plus I'll maybe be a bit closer to stumping up the £3500 for the new ECU and turbo 🙈

But.... it'll all be worth it in the long run
Screenshot_20201204-182625__01.jpg