Mazda MX5 Mk2.5

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Have a couple of them to go into the dash of mine as it happens. The ones in the centre console always get away with theres shenanigans afoot.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
A little bit more interior tartyness 😁
Jass Performance instrument cluster trims in brushed stainless with bezels and chrome needle caps. May have another go at converting the lights to led again, didn't have much luck last time mind you, nearly burnt the car down lol still waiting for my CarbonMiata carpets to arrive πŸ‘ŽπŸ»
IMG_20210110_160924.jpg
IMG_20210110_161044.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Now I know where the term 'Gone full tart' comes from lol :p

Only kidding Gaz, looks well. πŸ‘Œ

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Not much progress lately since practically everything is packed away for the house move but I've been having a think about what way I want to run the engine on the new ECU when it comes and want to be able to switch things like Anti-lag on/off and possibly run two maps. This can be done quite easily with a toggle switch. The switch is wired to a spare ECU digital input. On Link G4+ plug-in ECU's this is usually achieved by wiring the switch via the expansion loom. But where to put an extra couple of switches without cluttering up or butchering my dashboard... πŸ€”

Simple... and actually kinda stealthy 😏 I trimmed about half an inch off the ash tray with a Dremmel to give clearance for the top of the toggle switches, sanded it flat, took a flat development profile of it into work, made a cad profile of it and laser cut it from brushed stainless steel to match my window switch panel. It's a perfect fit and clears the lid nicely πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Ž could nearly squeeze another switch in there if I wanted to. Just need to label the switches and solder the wires on. Excuse the dusty photo's...

Stainless steel washers and top nuts may be swapped for titanium ones if I can find where I packed them (because I am a bit of a tart when it comes to that stuff 😜 apparently lol)

IMG_20210207_131838.jpg
IMG_20210207_131637.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Funny I just bought the bluetooth module for my ECU do be able to do this and run a few additional gauges on the phone or tablet.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Awesome work.... and here's me who was pleased with myself for polishing my dashboard up nicely last night. When all this is done and you're bored with no project car to work on... I can solve that for you :laughing:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Awesome work.... and here's me who was pleased with myself for polishing my dashboard up nicely last night. When all this is done and you're bored with no project car to work on... I can solve that for you :laughing:

I don't think it'll ever be finished per se lol I thought it'd be "finished" when I put it all together in the first place. Dare say I'll develope it further in years to come.... provided the shell doesn't go to pot! It should be fine for a good few years though given the amount of prep that went into it during the build. When it does inevitably rot I have plans to put the new engine etc into something else 😜 but keeping that under my hat for now.
Funny I just bought the bluetooth module for my ECU do be able to do this and run a few additional gauges on the phone or tablet.

Yeah I'd looked into that before too. Just thought this would be very convenient next to the gear lever to be able to flick things on and off.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
The plot took an unexpected twist this week when a friend (and fellow forum member) posted on his Instagram that he would be parting ways with his current turbo setup 😏 haven't got it yet but hopefully soon.

Unfortunately the manifold I bought a couple of months ago was a T25 single scroll manifold and this particular turbo is a twin scroll turbo. I found this Trust Performance tubular 304 stainless steel, 3mm thick wall with 12mm thick steel flanges. V band flanges are a high grade stainless steel resistant to heat . The collector is welded inside and out for ultimate strength and ports also welded inside for a smooth transition πŸ‘ŒπŸ» Unfortunately they couldn't do an equal length manifold for the twin scroll turbo but I doubt it'll make that much of a difference. Will come with ports for 38mm external wastegates and ports for EGT sensors on each scroll.

Not a photo of the exact manifold but it's still pretty s3xy eh 😜
IMG_20210221_123346_571.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
That is one impressive bit of kit, i look forward to seeing it fitted

So do I. Although at the moment I don't know when that will be. All my money's going into the new house and setting up a business, those are taking priority at the moment

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Today marked another milestone in what feels like the longest engine build in history 🀣 Big thanks to @chopaholic πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Ž t his was on his 1JZ powered S15. It's a Holset HX35 twin scroll and should easily see me hit the power goals I'm after.

Hard to believe its almost 2 years since I took delivery of the new engine and stripped it! I hardly got near the car in 2021 due to the new house and fitting out the garage, hopefully it won't take too long to get this build over the line

IMG_20220103_170639.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
A month or so ago I flogged the Volvo valve springs after reading about some catastrophic failures and purchased these Cat Cams uprated valve springs instead. The quality is noticeably better, less agricultural looking for sure πŸ‘πŸ» The cylinder head is off getting some fettling done too 😏

IMG_20220210_191741.jpg

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
**UPDATE**

A couple of weeks ago a friend asked me to remove some decals from his early 90's Mitsubishi Evo. The car was dropped off at the house to the tune of a throbbing straight piped 4G63T right outside my window 😎 At first glance I thought it was an Evo 3 but actually turned out to be an Evo 2! Now the oldest and last Evo I've seen in Northern Ireland was a yellow Evo 3 GSR up at Bishopscourt (back in the old days up the old airstrip). I soon started to picture myself in it lol With decals removed I asked him if I could take it for a quick spin up our lane. With the engine still fairly cold I didn't thrash it but could tell this 28 year old car hadn't lost any of her horses. The bug had bitten.... I spent the rest of the day researching the car. I know it needs the bodywork tending to and last night I had it up on the ramps inspecting the underside of the shell for rot. The good news is it's pretty solid underneath, probably due to it being dry stored since 2006 and only seeing 5 or 6 winters here in the UK after being imported. The "How Many Are Left" website suggests that there are only 16 Evo 2's registered and taxed on the road in all of the UK so I think I'd be mad not to take this opportunity.

So, it's looking like the MX5 is going to have to go to make way for this. It will quite likely be broken for parts...

Watch this space

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Oh boy..... That is nice....

If you're pulling trick bits off the mx5 drop me a DM so I don't miss your sales thread.

That Kenwood needs a good home πŸ˜‰

(I darent ask..... The recaros and harnesses.... Selling? )

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Oh boy..... That is nice....

If you're pulling trick bits off the mx5 drop me a DM so I don't miss your sales thread.

That Kenwood needs a good home πŸ˜‰

(I darent ask..... The recaros and harnesses.... Selling? )
The Kenwood will be staying with me buddy lol as will the Evo 5 Recaro's, they'll be going into the 2. Harnesses I may part with though as I'll probably go for some Takata's in the Evo

I'll compile a list of what I'm selling including all the bits for the new engine I was starting to build

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
**UPDATE**

A couple of weeks ago a friend asked me to remove some decals from his early 90's Mitsubishi Evo. The car was dropped off at the house to the tune of a throbbing straight piped 4G63T right outside my window 😎 At first glance I thought it was an Evo 3 but actually turned out to be an Evo 2! Now the oldest and last Evo I've seen in Northern Ireland was a yellow Evo 3 GSR up at Bishopscourt (back in the old days up the old airstrip). I soon started to picture myself in it lol With decals removed I asked him if I could take it for a quick spin up our lane. With the engine still fairly cold I didn't thrash it but could tell this 28 year old car hadn't lost any of her horses. The bug had bitten.... I spent the rest of the day researching the car. I know it needs the bodywork tending to and last night I had it up on the ramps inspecting the underside of the shell for rot. The good news is it's pretty solid underneath, probably due to it being dry stored since 2006 and only seeing 5 or 6 winters here in the UK after being imported. The "How Many Are Left" website suggests that there are only 16 Evo 2's registered and taxed on the road in all of the UK so I think I'd be mad not to take this opportunity.

So, it's looking like the MX5 is going to have to go to make way for this. It will quite likely be broken for parts...

Watch this space

Now that's something different! No rot = no problem :cool: Anything else can be sorted.

I believe the 2/3 are quite different from the later ones? The 5/6, to some extent even 4/7, a lot of stuff is interchangeable. Not so much the earlier ones I think.

They're old as well now, and there were never a lot of them. It's getting difficult to get parts even for a 5/6, never mind a 2. Nothing to put you off, just expect the car may be sat for a month or two waiting for bits to be made in Japan or whatever.

But once you drive a sorted one that's it, game over, got to have one 😁 There is nothing else like them.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Now that's something different! No rot = no problem :cool: Anything else can be sorted.

I believe the 2/3 are quite different from the later ones? The 5/6, to some extent even 4/7, a lot of stuff is interchangeable. Not so much the earlier ones I think.

They're old as well now, and there were never a lot of them. It's getting difficult to get parts even for a 5/6, never mind a 2. Nothing to put you off, just expect the car may be sat for a month or two waiting for bits to be made in Japan or whatever.

But once you drive a sorted one that's it, game over, got to have one 😁 There is nothing else like them.

The subframes and wishbones etc will be getting dropped out, blasted and powder coated, the shell stripped bare and prepped so it never rots. Lots of POR51!!! I don't plan on going too crazy with it. Mostly sort the body out, some new coilovers and wheels (I'm thinking Enkei RPF1's in a light gold).... Oh and possibly a full rally livery