Mk 5 RCD300 Issues

Davytog

RMS Regular
Drives
GTD
I have a MK5 GT Sport as a daily with an RCD300 unit. In the past few days it loses radio signal, only hiss through the speakers. According to the hidden setup menu there is no signal. It has gone and come back unaided once.
I will continue to daily the car (08 with 52K) but need advice on a fix. I know there can be issues at various points from the aerial, tailgate etc. I was toying with a replacement head, nothing fnacy needed other than DAB and phone connectivity.
Any recomendations as to who the go to person would be to get it sorted?

Davytog

RMS Regular
OP
D
Drives
GTD
Thinking about it but having seen a video of the removal process it might need to wait until the Christmas break when I have more time

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
Drives
Old VWs
There was a guy swapping out his rns510 for something with carplay etc, he might still have it. It would be a decent replacement/upgrade
There was a guy swapping out his rns510 for something with carplay etc, he might still have it. It would be a decent replacement/upgrade

Davytog

RMS Regular
OP
D
Drives
GTD
Got round to this today. When the head unit was removed from the chassis and I turned the radio on everything was fine. Disconnected the ant leads and you could still hear the brodcast station albeit highly garbled and with a lot of hiss. So with no obvious issues I put it all back together. checked several times and the radio still worked. Having cleared up tools tried the radio again and @@@@ just static hiss. It does look as if the fault is in the radio electronics itself.

So who is the go to for replacement head units