MK1 Audi A3

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
So with many thanks to @Fatman I bought this wonderful little machine yesterday.

20200614_145654.jpg

18 years old with a wopping 221k on her.

Haven't had my own car in over a year as I wanted to save as much as I could to put towards my wedding but now its been pushed back another year thanks to auld Covid-19 I decided I needed to get a cheap project to keep me entertained before I go insane 🤣

So back to the car, it's a 1.9 130hp TDI with a 6 speed box. Actually in really decent condition given the miles on it although there are a few small issues that need sorting but nothing mega. The main one is the dash clocks play silly buggers sometimes so I'm gunna go over the earthing points and hopefully get it sorted out.

Plans for it are coilovers, 4motion/quattro ARBs and wheels off a V6 TT for now (wheels need a refurb so gunna do that myself with help from Dad).

20200614_181331.jpg

20200614_204701.jpg

20200614_185905.jpg

Cheers,

Aaron

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
Haha cheers. Yeah there's something so nice about it. Think it's because they used to be so common and now you just don't see them anymore.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
221k, crazy how good the 1.9tdi of that era are providing they well serviced. That looks in good shape too.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Tidy looking wee motor there man, colour is kinda like moonstone blue. Once she's on thee alloys she'll look well, they will be a handy enough wheels to refurb to with them thick spokes, no nooks or crannies. Yep the 130pd engine are a great soild reliable engine with ample power to get you around too g'luck with it 👍

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Looking forward to seeing it on the TT wheels! Didn't realise it had that many miles when you told me about this! Looks decent enough in the photos for that many miles!

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
Cheers everyone.

First thing I'm gunna do is whip these dash clocks out. They were going haywire dancing all over the show yesterday morning when it was cold but on the way home they were absolutely fine after the car had been sitting in the sun all day. Thinking its probably dry solder joints on the board in the dash so hopefully i can sort it out.....put my D grade GCSE Technology "skills" to use lol

If that fails though a mate says he has a set of clocks I could have 😁

PieMan1

RMS Regular
By clocks going haywire are you talking about the speedo/tacho?

the a4 of a similar year is the same, if its cold it will show miles to empty/mpg/avg mpg etc, if its hot outside the screem just disappears, i assume its a bad connection.

looks lovely .

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
By clocks going haywire are you talking about the speedo/tacho?

the a4 of a similar year is the same, if its cold it will show miles to empty/mpg/avg mpg etc, if its hot outside the screem just disappears, i assume its a bad connection.

looks lovely .

Yeah, when mine is cold the whole dash cluster dances until it's warmed up for like 30 mins lol. Speedo and Tacho drop out and then come back up to where they should be and theN drop out again and repeat lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Mate of mine got one of these new ages ago. Was as quick as my GSI Vectra off the lights. Very upsetting :laughing:

We toured all over in it and took it to Max Power in Skegness one weekend lol

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
I'm surprised how sharp it is to be fair. Going to bring it down to Gavin at Blackline once I've my dash issue sorted and he says he will check to see if it's been mapped before or not 😁

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
No big things just yet but I've bought a couple of wee things for it...

s-l1600.jpg

New (to me) headlight switch as the one in it looks like its been attacked by Edward Scissor Hands!

s-l1600.jpg

And a collection of manuals as none came with it.

Also have a set of dash clocks heading my way for it incase I mess these ones up trying to fix them for a bargain price of £30 😁

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
No big things just yet but I've bought a couple of wee things for it...

s-l1600.jpg

New (to me) headlight switch as the one in it looks like its been attacked by Edward Scissor Hands!

s-l1600.jpg

And a collection of manuals as none came with it.

Also have a set of dash clocks heading my way for it incase I mess these ones up trying to fix them for a bargain price of £30 😁
I’m glad I’m not the only person to buy owners manuals lol. I bought a load for the Beemer. Lol

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
I’m glad I’m not the only person to buy owners manuals lol. I bought a load for the Beemer. Lol

I always think it's just nice to have all the books, makes me feel like it's more complete and it's handy if you ever need to check something you don't know about the car.

Kind of wish it had service history although at 221000 miles I don't think it really matters now :joy:

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I always think it's just nice to have all the books, makes me feel like it's more complete and it's handy if you ever need to check something you don't know about the car.

Kind of wish it had service history although at 221000 miles I don't think it really matters now :joy:
That’s exactly it! In case there’s a feature a car has that maybe most aren’t aware of etc..

Service history? What’s that? Lol