Mk2 Golf GTI 2.0 16v

Gambit

RMS Regular
seeing as there is a bit of a mk2 revival going on, may aswell get mine up seeing as ive been able to enjoy it once more now ive got the 2.0 running sweet as a nut - basically its been off the road for guts of 3 or 4yrs through 1 issue or another! still plenty to do but all in good time!

1989 mk2 Golf GTI 16v - Tornado Red

Engine
2.0 6a 16v
FastEddie ported & polished head
Autotech cams & pulley (currently on KR's for run in)
Schrick baffled sump & windage tray
G60 Airbox base setup
WUR adjusted
milltek 4-branch manifold
Supersprint exhaust system (large middle silence removed)

Suspension
Spax 40mm springs

Sachs Racing front & Bilstein Sprint rear shocks
Eibach rear anti roll bar
OMP heavy duty front strut brace

Brakes
280mm brakes
Goodridge braided lines

Interior
Full Factory leather
VDO Gauges
Votex centre console
Italovanti Wheel

Wheels
Ronal R15's
BBS RM Splits

was at 157bhp when it was a 1.8 - now its bhp

goes into hibernation at the end of sept

DSCF3515.jpg

DSCF3520.jpg

DSCF3519.jpg

DSCF3517.jpg

DSCF3522.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGDAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
audi a7
nice motor but im not a fan of the wheels the picture you put up on the other thread with the bbs alloys looked great

JonnyM

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW MINI
That looks like a really clean one, best of luck with it. the steering wheel is sweet too!

J-VW

RMS Regular
class, love the lower dials and steering wheel! Standard backbox would finish it off

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
BIGDAVE - yeah ronals are a bit hit n miss, i like them on the car but sometimes i look and just think the splits are the wheel for it. Splits are just due a refurb wouldnt part with them.

JonnyM, GT TDI JOE the steering wheel makes it stand out interior wise, its wee retro touches like that i love. backbox was actually something again i was thinking off, had a original with the stainless tips on it years back and should have kept the backbox, sold it for buttons also

Neil@rockvale red rocks!

Gman

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia and E39
Looks great Craig! Really really like the Ronals on it, wouldn't mind something like that for mine.
I'm trading in the BM this week. Keep an eye out for a silver Blob eye WRX Estate down the Dargan Road

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Looks great Craig! Really really like the Ronals on it, wouldn't mind something like that for mine.
I'm trading in the BM this week. Keep an eye out for a silver Blob eye WRX Estate down the Dargan Road

Cheers mates, big plus of the ronals is they are hell of a lot easier to keep than the splits! But they defo marmite wheels, pics confirm my marmite thoughts on them!

So ya joined the scooby gang then, is it staying std or gonna do a few bits n pieces to it?

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Yeah without doubt the splits but inclined to refurb them back in silver, and then with std backbox on it would transform the look of it. Will prob get a winter makeover (y)

jonnycab

RMS Member
Drives
Mk2 Golf
glad to hear shes back on the road running well with the new bottom end and no issues :grinning:

looking well in the photos!

Gman

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia and E39
Cheers mates, big plus of the ronals is they are hell of a lot easier to keep than the splits! But they defo marmite wheels, pics confirm my marmite thoughts on them!

So ya joined the scooby gang then, is it staying std or gonna do a few bits n pieces to it?

Its going to stay standard I think, I've a wedding to pay for! Must keep an eye out for Ronals for mine

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Going to start work again on mine in April some time too.
Will be lucky if its anyway presentable for next April :sob:

Your really looks the part Craig, bound to be a sharp wee car

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
@cormac81 yeah april is when i intend to tax it. gotta put it through mot but shouldnt be an issue as done next to no miles last year. quite happy that all it took was some fresh fuel and boom off it went after basically lying up from sept last year

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
@Andy044 did you buy/keep that one we talked about that night at the scooby meet? i love them for their simplicity

Yep, took me long enough to get through my mate to speak to her Da who owned it.
Got it for what I thought was a bargain, until I seen the amount of work needed lol

Walked by it earlier to notice a bit behind the rear buyer had simply fallen off due to rust! Haven't done much to it since before christmas tho i have been buying a few wee bits and pieces for it as i go along. My build thread hasn't been touched I'm sure you noticed but you did help talk me into keeping it for a bit at least.
I can't see it being a long term 'keeper' so i'll try to get it on the road for this summer then see what happens for the following winter.

KJS

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Tiguan
Looking nice (y)

Quick put it back inside the garage or your neighbour will reverse in this one aswell :p