MK4 Detailed

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
ryan detailni and myself have been chatting about this and are trying to work with each other. I had to undercut at the start but my prices are around the same as ryan now

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
oh and amos im glad you have brought this to the publics attention. Sometimes you feel that people think we are con artists. Its nice to know people appreciate the effort that goes into a detail. And the passion to, its an art to us lol

Martyn

RMS Regular
Probably the easiest way is to charge per hour - say £20-£25...

If I get a car left for the day I know I can Valet it in 4-5 hours, but to detail it properly will take longer...

Most people are 100% happy with just a valet - so thats what they get.

Amos

RMS Regular
Drives
What ever is in
ryan detailni and myself have been chatting about this and are trying to work with each other. I had to undercut at the start but my prices are around the same as ryan now

I'm glad you see it this way, as it is a ART Form in my eyes...... But don't forget about the othe 15 odd detailers on RMS..... Ya's all need to talk....

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
See you boys going on about eleven hours and so on. Surely the half of that is because some of the 'detailers' are using slow Porter Cable buffers and would be done in half the time if they got the finger out and bought a proper buffer. Between that and them taking pictures of 50/50 shots etc, no wonder it runs in to 2 day jobs. Seems there's too much dicking about in detailing. If I was looking my car done I wouldn't be impressed paying 25 quid an hour for someone to be taking photos.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
myself and ryan dont take pics and we both use rotarys. And those that do take pics are only demonstrating their work so fair play to them,

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
each car is different but usually yes, some times longer. Thats how long it takes to do it to that standard

Detail NI

RMS Regular
it takes a good 2-3 hours to wash & prep before even taking a pc or rotary to it!
Pc and rotary will take the same time. still using the same process and nothing to do with a pc being slower.

I dont post up loads of pictures because to be honest I cant be arsed. I will do the odd one but taking a picture does slow you up!

Ruth

RMS Regular
See you boys going on about eleven hours and so on. Surely the half of that is because some of the 'detailers' are using slow Porter Cable buffers and would be done in half the time if they got the finger out and bought a proper buffer. Between that and them taking pictures of 50/50 shots etc, no wonder it runs in to 2 day jobs. Seems there's too much dicking about in detailing. If I was looking my car done I wouldn't be impressed paying 25 quid an hour for someone to be taking photos.

Doesn't work that way tho. Yes some people charge per hour. But from memory the likes of polish bliss charge per hour, when they view the car and quote say 10-12 hours work and agree a set price, if the car takes longer then they don't charge extra. I don't charge per hour personally and if I used a rotary or pc or whatever, it'd still be the same price..

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
I really don't think taking pictures is the issue here. It's only a few snaps here and there that are being taken. Surely it's just the person doing the detail that is slow.

Martyn

RMS Regular

I dont think thats a fair comment:oops:

I would never dream of charging a client time for taking photo's of their car while it was being cleaned... A lot of detailers do this because they enjoy it and like to show off!:grinning:

I can honestly say that 2 days to bring a car to show standard is fair... By the time you remove wheels - clean/de-tar and dress arches, clean the inside of the rims - wash underneath the car, clean engine - properly! then wash the car thats the best part of 1/2- 3/4 day gone..

You havn't even started the inside or even touched the paintwork at this stage....

If you can do that quicker - well done(y)

I dont normally bite at these theads anymore..... but I think what have said above is fair enough!

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
Slow???? its nothing to do with slow.

Getting a little annoyed are we lol.:p

I'm just saying, i doubt if you were not to take photos the time it took would really be effected. I'm sure the snaps only take a few minutes max.

Martyn

RMS Regular
Are you serious? I wouldnt pay over £15 an hour for ANY timeserved tradesman (joiner/plumber) never mind someone who has lifted a buffing machine and taught themselves.

£10-£15 sounds about right to me.

That includes materials as well BA!(y)

I wouldn't get out off bed for less than £15ph!^o)

I would just claim on the dole!

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
in england they charge around 400quid for a full exterior correction! We couldnt even dream of that in NI look at the complaining over the rates!

Amos

RMS Regular
Drives
What ever is in
If people can't get there heads around the Difference Between a VALET and a DETAIL, I'll give you a CLUE.... The word DETAIL, Detailers go into alot more DETAIL simple....

Also if you can't get your head Around DETAILING, don't be a Hero and talk about it on here.... Go and buy Turtle Wax, and work away..... Just let us DETAILER enjoy what we do.....

MANY THANKS...

Bass c

Banned
DETAILER is just the american term for a VALETER, a good VALETER will go into DETAIL depending on what the customer wants .........................................!!!£$"%^&*()_&^

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.