MK4 Golf GTI 1.8t

sam_9n

RMS Regular
I am embarrassed now as I couldn't work out what the cut-out was for :joy: .

Something about a front mount just puts me off the idea of it, the likes of cutting the crash bar and seeing MK4s on the owners groups with intercoolers hanging out the bottom of the splitter :joy:I'll weigh things up closer to the time of mapping and see. Absolute power isn't my goal with this car, I drove @HILL9N3GTI 's Polo and although it's very well put together and nice, the power is too much for my driving capabilities right now, I think 200/210 would be a nice figure for me but I just want to go down the most economical route, is the K03s you have good to go? I just need a turbo now and I think good to go for mapping, without starting a flame war could you (or anyone) recommend someone to map a 1.8t in NI?

Yea ko3s is ready to go. Been sitting in my garage for a bit.

done right the front mount is completely hidden, I managed to hide my single pass welly cooler behind the Polo bumper without cutting the crash bar. Just takes a bit of thinking.

Fire me a message if you’re wanting this ko3s, as someone else mentioned about wanting it if you didn’t, cheers

HILL9N3GTI

RMS Regular
Yea ko3s is ready to go. Been sitting in my garage for a bit.

done right the front mount is completely hidden, I managed to hide my single pass welly cooler behind the Polo bumper without cutting the crash bar. Just takes a bit of thinking.

Fire me a message if you’re wanting this ko3s, as someone else mentioned about wanting it if you didn’t, cheers
@Rossios you would be foolish to let this opportunity slip plus Sam is a gentleman and always happy to help with any dramas.
He is my go to local dude with all the gear and all the ideas lol

Plus you can just use my old turbo for spears if you need it...

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Just a little update...

Got most of my bits now in the post but still waiting on a few items, i've gathered 90% of the bits now to move forward with the turbo swap (After mouthing about doing it for a year :eyes: ), some of the stuff I order in the past few weeks
1589567675495.png
1589567761347.png

Big thanks to Sam for sending me up the turbo, just needs a clean up and new bolts, i'll also test the actuator once this lockdown is lifted.
Everything fits the AGU charge pipe well and just needs a clean up (and possibly wrapped in gold or silver if i'm feeling brave and it isn't tacky:joy:), the other items i'm waiting in the post are a boost gauge and a valve cover heat shield.
My intercooler ducting was also cracked and it was on the list of things to replace, but I managed to source one on ebay so after a clean up it should be good to go!
1589568224290.png

Other than getting the bolts, gasket and lines for the turbo I have a friend who recently started working for VW and was going to get him to get the gaskets etc from TPS but he is currently not working, if anyone has any other ideas? The K03 gasket kits on the likes of ebay are tempting but I don't want a blown gasket 2 months down the line. Then it's just fire the turbo on and get it booked in for a tune, after doing research my ECU is ME7 so hopefully should be no issues on that front. I see a lot of people getting not so much 'pops and bangs' mapped in, but more overrun burbles on the decel after a certain RPM, what do you think of them? Are they cool? or too chavvy and an unnecessary cause for wear and tear, i'm tempted if the tuner can do it but would like to hear some opinions!:oops:

I'm not sure what will be next for the car, I still aim to get the stone chips at the front tidied up and I still toy with stepping back down to 17s but we will see. A catch can/vac 'delete' is also on the table at some stage but my vac system is working fine at the moment, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I need bigger brakes after this remap also.

Oh also my battery has been giving bother the past while, i'm a key worker so I don't think it's because the cars been sitting draining the battery as i've been driving it, after work yesterday it wouldn't start so I got jumped and bought a new battery from my local Halfords (don't have a pic)
1589569222468.png

Hope everyone is keeping sane and well over this lockdown (y)

Thanks for reading, here's a pre lockdown picture of the car as pictures of parts can get boring :cool:
1589569596934.png

Geoff Campbell

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat
Regarding sourcing the gaskets etc during lockdown, you may want to check out Coverdale Car Parts on Facebook. They were able to help me get a replacement ECU housing seal for my Passat in the middle of all this with no issue. They should be able to source genuine parts for you if you fire them a message.

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
I tackled my new boost pipes and TIP this bank holiday weekend. The TIP wasn't as bad of a job as most make it out to be, I probably had the old TIP off and new one on in around an hour, the boost pipes however were an absolute pig, getting everything lined up was a nightmare!

Obligatory comparison pic;
1590431530408.png
1590431555947.png

I also gave my AGU charge pipe a quick clean and a metal polish, I plan to get it sanded and properly polished up shiny when I have some more spare time.

1590431592407.png
1590431681075.png

The front bumper came off again to fit a 'new' intercooler shroud, all with clips intact thankfully :oops:

1590431691927.png
1590433003674.png

The homebase boost-leak tester came out again too, just to make sure everything was tightened up ok!

1590433485855.png

This is how things are looking now under the bonnet, the engine bay hasn't got a proper clean so I plan to do that next free weekend I get, I also need to tidy up the air filter situation as the new TIP didn't reach my new heat shield, so I b*stardized an extender for now, I also plan to paint the rocker cover crinkle black, and also unfortunately one of my injector have started leaking again after only 10 months of being replaced.. so that will need done too.
I've also seemed to lost some performance after fitting the TIP, I think for the moment it's running of wastegate pressure so I'll have to get a lend of a laptop to plug it in into VCDS, I'm not sure if it's because the car has a lot of hardware now on the standard map, or I disturbed a sensor as I essentially had the whole intake and half the vacuum system apart, I will give it a week to see if the ECU will adjust but I suspect something has went wrong. 8-(

I also made an unexpected brief appearance on the Reload Podcast, I got to briefly speak about my car but I'm somewhat camera shy, and it was also windy and raining outside while Connor was interviewing me, so I couldn't make him out that clearly :joy:, but regardless it was a pleasure to be on, thank you

I'll leave you with a picture of my first (on the road) car at Titanic Dubs 4 years ago I came across while tidying up my PC, gotta love the metro plates haha, i've changed a lot since then!

29839943081_e76769cb55_h.jpg

I hope everyone had a great bank holiday weekend, thanks for reading

Attachments

• 1590433134014.png
    1590433134014.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
  • 1590433134704.png
    1590433134704.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 127

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Shouldn’t have any issues with a new TIP and cooler pipes. Check MAF and n75 is the right way round. Could be a leak somewhere too. Get her scanned anyway, hopefully shed some light on the issue

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Was good to have you on @Rossios and it's great to see a clean MK4 20vt surviving. Sorry for having yous out in the rain lol.

That pic of your polo bread van at Titanic Dubs, I look that too lol

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Was good to have you on @Rossios and it's great to see a clean MK4 20vt surviving. Sorry for having yous out in the rain lol.

That pic of your polo bread van at Titanic Dubs, I look that too lol
No problem, hopefully I wasn't too boring!
Nice I didn't realise, it was definitely the nicest photo the wee car ever got, I regret selling her!

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
I also made an unexpected brief appearance on the Reload Podcast, I got to briefly speak about my car but I'm somewhat camera shy, and it was also windy and raining outside while Connor was interviewing me, so I couldn't make him out that clearly :joy:, but regardless it was a pleasure to be on, thank you

Thats just @natogreen16v 's dulcid country accent, most people cant understand him either, but lets blame 'the rain' :joy::joy:

Glad to see the car coming along. Mine hasnt turned a wheel since march, never mind had any issues sorting :weary_face:

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Thats just @natogreen16v 's dulcid country accent, most people cant understand him either, but lets blame 'the rain' :joy::joy:

Glad to see the car coming along. Mine hasnt turned a wheel since march, never mind had any issues sorting :weary_face:
You would think being from Tyrone I could somewhat make it out :joy: , but in all seriousness it was very windy lol
It's hard when I need to keep the car on the road at the same time but I'm getting there (y), can't wait to see your Anni out, definitely is a perfect example of one

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
A couple of more bits came for my engine bay over the past while and I'm at the stage now where I can say i'm nearly finished with it;
I started by scrubbing the rocker cover to spray it with VHT, I also sprayed and cleaned other small bits in the engine and replaced some clamps, I also had to re-locate the vacuum chamber as it sits on top of my rocker cover, in order to fit my new heatshield:
20200530_122810.jpg
20200531_170903.jpg

20200530_164831.jpg

I think it came out ok, I'm no painter and @HILL9N3GTI usually does all my painting and it ran in a few places, but I'm happy enough with the outcome, the heat shield also conveniently hides my mismatched coilpacks haha, I just need a sticker now to put on the coilpack cover, if someone would give me a sticker starting with P it would be nice..

20200531_194828 (1).jpg

20200531_194046.jpg

I also had to buy a new air filter with a different end on it to fit onto my silicon pipe, a few bits of pipe and other things to clean up here and there but overall really happy with the engine bay, it's really subtle. Next somewhere down the list is to simplify the vac/pcv system and install a catchcan, but I shall see how things go.

I also got a new N75 (c) valve and it seems to sort of fix my boost problem. I scanned the car and got no codes, I also took the opportunity and did some logging with the car,
with 22C ambient I logged my intake air temps, after idling the car for 15minutes;

30-32C while cruising
40-42C on WOT 3rd gear to redline

Coolant 91C

I was also pulling 135g/s through the MAF at peak, considering the ambient temperatures I'm happy enough with the numbers I was producing for a side mount intercooler, hopefully I'll be able to reach my target of 200bhp and still keep things relatively cool. Once I get these gaskets sourced I'll be booking the car in for the turbo swap and tune. The car sometimes holds back at higher rpm with boost, like it's still running on actuator pressure but i've exhausted my resources trying to sort it and will put it down to lack of tune, I will try changing my fuel as well but I doubt that's it.

I also gave it the first proper wash/detail in a long time with the decent weather we have, I love this colour in the sun;
20200531_194659 (1).jpg

20200531_183039.jpg

I've been thinking alot about the car recently too, it's become a bit of a money pit recently and not a great reliable daily, in 10k miles i've spent 4x on the car that I originally paid for it. I think come autumn time when my insurance renews I will buy something like a Fabia VRS/Golf GTTDI as a run about, and if I can organise it get storage and get the GTI sealed underneath and take it out on a temporary basis for shows or whatever, and if I can't get affordable/convenient storage I may just sell up or drive it into the ground. I'll discuss with the insurance and get other opinions but it seems every time I detail the car I find another small dent, scrape or stone chip on it, daily driving it is wrecking it. I'll just see how it treats me between now and then and hopefully I get no more issues with it.

Hope everyone has a great week, thanks for looking

HILL9N3GTI

RMS Regular
Iv said it before lmao i cant hand them out thats @jayme that calls that one 🤣
Good we bit of work their and i honestly think you should get rid of that hole n80 set up

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Should be able to put her on classsic buddy be shame to sell her and not find one as good
I'm not 25 yet unfortunately, I know some companies do classic insurance for under 25s but there's alot of requirements and restrictions, if I could I would!

Iv said it before lmao i cant hand them out thats @jayme that calls that one 🤣
Good we bit of work their and i honestly think you should get rid of that hole n80 set up
Cheers Jack, I'll convince him someday haha

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Is it that it's not an issue with reliability but more you just tinkering and spending the cash? :joy:

Greenlight do a limited mileage policy which is cheapest for me by a long way. You should check that option out, esp of doing 3-5k a year.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Is it that it's not an issue with reliability but more you just tinkering and spending the cash? :joy:

Greenlight do a limited mileage policy which is cheapest for me by a long way. You should check that option out, esp of doing 3-5k a year.
Ive noticed the more you **** about with cars and mk4's in general, the more problems you open up, especially with the 18t😂

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios

Partly true :joy: , however some bits i've bought for the car I haven't updated on here due to being uninteresting or whatever, items to keep it on the road, but the clutch, t belt, heater matrix and now turbo have been the killers, should have bought a nice MK5 GTI! I'll be sure to try out Greenlight

Ive noticed the more you **** about with cars and mk4's in general, the more problems you open up, especially with the 18t😂
Any standard non 1.8ts for sale?^o)

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Partly true :joy: , however some bits i've bought for the car I haven't updated on here due to being uninteresting or whatever, items to keep it on the road, but the clutch, t belt, heater matrix and now turbo have been the killers, should have bought a nice MK5 GTI! I'll be sure to try out Greenlight

Any standard non 1.8ts for sale?^o)
Yeah a blue 2.0, paint isn't great but it's got something mad like 43k on it. Needs a front arm and lambda sensor. It's been out of test since December too. 2 brand new Toyos for it too and a lambda sensor in the glove box!
Also got an oceanic Green 18t 150,5 door, cream leather, sunroof and cruise control but its an ROI car so doesn't have aircon or MFA! Now back on Montreals.
IMG_20191222_151418.jpg
IMG_20191222_151547.jpg
IMG_20191217_120134.jpg

Rossios

RMS Regular
OP
Rossios
Yeah a blue 2.0, paint isn't great but it's got something mad like 43k on it. Needs a front arm and lambda sensor. It's been out of test since December too. 2 brand new Toyos for it too and a lambda sensor in the glove box!
Also got an oceanic Green 18t 150,5 door, cream leather, sunroof and cruise control but its an ROI car so doesn't have aircon or MFA! Now back on Montreals.
I was only joking but what a lineup! I know my father has been looking for a MK1 TT the past while as abit of a weekender, if you have anymore photos of the 1.8t I could show him see if he's interested? Not entirely sure how it will work with it being an ROI car with the current MOT shambles...

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I was only joking but what a lineup! I know my father has been looking for a MK1 TT the past while as abit of a weekender, if you have anymore photos of the 1.8t I could show him see if he's interested? Not entirely sure how it will work with it being an ROI car with the current MOT shambles...
The car has been here for 5 or 6 years, maybe more, I can't remember off the top of my head, it's on a TEC. I'll grab some photos over the next couple of days.
There's a anni and a 180 5door missing from that photo!
Screenshot_20200603_165252_com.whatsapp.jpg

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
A couple of more bits came for my engine bay over the past while and I'm at the stage now where I can say i'm nearly finished with it;
I started by scrubbing the rocker cover to spray it with VHT, I also sprayed and cleaned other small bits in the engine and replaced some clamps, I also had to re-locate the vacuum chamber as it sits on top of my rocker cover, in order to fit my new heatshield:
View attachment 281770View attachment 281775

View attachment 281772
I think it came out ok, I'm no painter and @HILL9N3GTI usually does all my painting and it ran in a few places, but I'm happy enough with the outcome, the heat shield also conveniently hides my mismatched coilpacks haha, I just need a sticker now to put on the coilpack cover, if someone would give me a sticker starting with P it would be nice..

View attachment 281779
View attachment 281780
I also had to buy a new air filter with a different end on it to fit onto my silicon pipe, a few bits of pipe and other things to clean up here and there but overall really happy with the engine bay, it's really subtle. Next somewhere down the list is to simplify the vac/pcv system and install a catchcan, but I shall see how things go.

I also got a new N75 (c) valve and it seems to sort of fix my boost problem. I scanned the car and got no codes, I also took the opportunity and did some logging with the car,
with 22C ambient I logged my intake air temps, after idling the car for 15minutes;

30-32C while cruising
40-42C on WOT 3rd gear to redline

Coolant 91C

I was also pulling 135g/s through the MAF at peak, considering the ambient temperatures I'm happy enough with the numbers I was producing for a side mount intercooler, hopefully I'll be able to reach my target of 200bhp and still keep things relatively cool. Once I get these gaskets sourced I'll be booking the car in for the turbo swap and tune. The car sometimes holds back at higher rpm with boost, like it's still running on actuator pressure but i've exhausted my resources trying to sort it and will put it down to lack of tune, I will try changing my fuel as well but I doubt that's it.

I also gave it the first proper wash/detail in a long time with the decent weather we have, I love this colour in the sun;
View attachment 281782
View attachment 281783

I've been thinking alot about the car recently too, it's become a bit of a money pit recently and not a great reliable daily, in 10k miles i've spent 4x on the car that I originally paid for it. I think come autumn time when my insurance renews I will buy something like a Fabia VRS/Golf GTTDI as a run about, and if I can organise it get storage and get the GTI sealed underneath and take it out on a temporary basis for shows or whatever, and if I can't get affordable/convenient storage I may just sell up or drive it into the ground. I'll discuss with the insurance and get other opinions but it seems every time I detail the car I find another small dent, scrape or stone chip on it, daily driving it is wrecking it. I'll just see how it treats me between now and then and hopefully I get no more issues with it.

Hope everyone has a great week, thanks for looking

Beautiful colour and condition... well done you 👏🏻

Always like something old and clean