Mk4 Golf GTi 1.8T :)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
A friend from NI BMW took a cracking pic of my car at the TSCC NI Cars and Coffee this morning:

IMG_0160.jpeg

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Get a rear ARB like Whiteline or similar to help the handling. Honestly makes a good difference in keeping the car more directional and you know what the rear is doing rather than waiting a few seconds on it catching up keeping you wondering.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Get a rear ARB like Whiteline or similar to help the handling. Honestly makes a good difference in keeping the car more directional and you know what the rear is doing rather than waiting a few seconds on it catching up keeping you wondering.
Ah ok, good shout. An adjustable one or just a straight (albeit upgraded) replacement if you get my drift?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Had the rear adjustable Whiteline on the S3, I thought it made a real difference. I put it on its hardest setting and left it there. It's not like you will forever adjust it, but it's handy to have options to try and see what works for you.

I also thought it was useful to keep the front softer. Basically, a softer arb increases grip on that axle relative to the other, and vice versa. So if you want to shift the balance, like reducing understeer in your case, then increase the rate more at the back than at the front.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So I was moving all my Mini parts out of my shed today and I came across these:

IMG_0258.jpeg

A pair of Silvertec indicator bulbs that I had in the Mini before swapping the whole indicator/sidelight unit for an LED set.

Fitted them to the Golf today as @Con can attest to as he caught me on tinkering lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Ever since I got the car on the road there’s been an intermittent knocking noise coming from the front end. When on ramps or jacked up I could never replicate the noise, but I did see what I thought was a little bit too much movement in the rearmost bushes of the front wishbones.

So I replaced them today, however I was wrong (or maybe I was right) about the bushes, it was the front most bushes that were done!

Drivers side:
IMG_0293.jpeg

Passenger side:

IMG_0294.jpeg

I’ve also noticed that there’s a bit of a gap in the drivers side arb bush so I’ve a pair ordered.

Hopefully that along with a quick clean of the brake pipes should get it through MOT next month.

And yes that is a grinder lol, one of the bottom ball joint bolts was just spinning in the retaining but, so I had to go nuclear! 😂

Edit:- I should add that these bottom arms had VAG part numbers on them, quite possibly the factory fitted ones!!

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Enough play for the gaps to be full of gravel! 😅 🤫

Got to love old cars!

I shouldn't say anything really, the rear bushes on Olive are probably even worse after 26 years of UK roads 😇🫣

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I scrapped a MK4 TDI a couple of months ago. It had the 4 original shocks, front arms, and rear axle bushings. 20 year old and 150k on it. The engine and gearbag now live in my sons golf estate.

Only reasons I scrapped it was it needed a windscreen, and the son needed an engine. I've replaced it with a 20 year old Passat sport with 137k on it.

They don't build them like these any more. In comparison my daughter bought a 2015 mk7 golf. Just over 60k on it and all 4 shocks are leaking oil.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Not really car related (albeit I did take the GTI to watch this)……..

As you know my wife is still receiving treatment for breast cancer.

A charity that has become close to our families hearts, Cancer Fund For Children have a choir that my wife and three of our kids joined a number of months ago as a way to give back to this amazing charity who have supported us and given us amazing breaks at their Daisy Lodge retreat in Newcastle.

Today they had a Coffee Morning in Dundonald Presbyterian Church and performed a few songs to raise much needed funds.

I can honestly say that I’ve never been so proud of them all:
IMG_0418.jpeg

Two of my kids had solo’s and (I may be biased) performed them flawlessly!!

I now beg of you guys, if you can, please make a small donation to this wonderful charity who help children and families who have been impacted by cancer.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So the car has had a weird hesitation as I’ve mentioned on another thread, between 2k & 4k rpm before picking up again and then a hard cut at around 5.5k. It had gotten progressively worse recently to the point where it was almost undriveable!

Boost pressures were all over the place and having changed the MAF, the MAP sensor, Intercooler which was 20mm narrower than what should’ve been fitted!!,

IMG_0442.jpeg

Correct 85mm Intercooler on left, wrong 65mm on right, on the car when I got it btw!

I also changed the n75, Diverter valve, fuel pressure regulator (which was plumbed incorrectly, again as I had received the car) and performing a couple of rudimentary vac/boost leak checks combined with the boost pressures appearing to spike before each hesitation, I sent the ecu away to have the remap removed and put back to factory spec.

Sure enough it’s running a lot better now, no hesitation after about an hours worth of driving today, but does still have the weird hard cut at around 5.5k under wot and full load.

I suspect there might be a wastegate actuator fault as the vac pipe has a bad kink in it on the 90deg bend, so I’ve one on its way to me. Failing that it’s going to be the fuel pump being replaced next.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I forgot to take photos, though it’d be hard to show this fault.

The drivers side door drops when opening, top hinge pin had worn, changed the door side of the hinge and all cured.

Quick clean of the brake pipes and that’s all the prep I’m doing for Monday nights MOT test.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.