Mk7 Golf R

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
What about a 640d? I think they’re fantastic in every way apart from the insurance costs ..

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
A nice Golf R would be good! 😂

We deliberated for ages whether to keep it or not! But the miles were getting up and she wanted something with less of a “bucket seat”. Although the F36 seats look like they fit the bill, we need to call somewhere tomorrow to check in person.

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Have to say I’m struggling big time to find something to replace our R, they really are good.
Only thing that’s taken my fancy is a TCR but think they have a bit to come down yet so maybe patient

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Too boring I think. A5 5dr is an option, but again over my preferred budget.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Too boring I think. A5 5dr is an option, but again over my preferred budget.
To boring as well. I had a 3.0 tdi quattro coupe for a few months many moons ago, nice car though.

As a general rule the bigger and heavier a car is the duller it is to steer.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
It would be the new model though. I think the old platform is pretty dated now. Whereas I still think the F3* interior still feels fresh.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’m reluctant to start a what car thread, so thought I would post in here for anyone interested in sharing their opinion.

Basically, contenders for Golf replacement are an SQ5 or 435d GC. They’re near enough the same money (BM a bit less) and mileage, but SQ5 is 2014 and BM is 2017. To me the SQ5 just seems like a lot of £ For an old jeep, which doesn’t sit well with me. Then I look at Q5’s and you can get the same thing for £5k less, but they are just so plain. However I imagine the SQ5 will always demand a premium over a Q5, so the gap will never close.

Mrs Lyons thinks she needs a jeep, but in my eyes a jeep is only needed for her commute on days there’s been heavy rain, so she can take the Tiguan. The 435 is quicker, more efficient, cheaper tax and far fresher tech.

Heart is saying SQ5, head (and partly heart because it’s not as if its by any means a boring or poor second choice) is saying 435D.

Head is pure wrecked. Down to 1 car at the minute which is an absolute nightmare too!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
XC60 wouldn’t be for me I don’t think.

And not quick enough for Mrs Lyons 😂

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Women think they need suvs for the extra height. Get her saloon and before the test drive put the seat way up.

Nice new model a8 - 4wd and plenty room

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Have you looked at how cheap 2nd hand f-paces are. I couldn't believe it!

3.0 is over budget still.
Women think they need suvs for the extra height. Get her saloon and before the test drive put the seat way up.

Nice new model a8 - 4wd and plenty room

The extra height is for flood/snow purposes.

As much as I’d love an A8, they’re too big coming from the Golf.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If she wants a jeep there's no amount of seat height lifting is going to convince her that it's basically the same :joy:

I'm using my A4 at the minute and miss the visibility, access, etc of the Cayenne.