Mk7 Golf R

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
I don't like the DSG box either, the BMW 8 speed ZF box and the DCT box are much much better. Seem to give less problems too. DSG does stupid things most of the time and gets annoying.

I nearly wiped somebody out changing lanes on the Westlink recently because it just doesn't get going when you want it to.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Average about 32/33mpg. Servicing is standard sort of costs. Obviously need haldex service, dsg etc too. We have a VW warranty which costs £330 per year.
Very manageable, I am getting similiar mpg in my c class.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
I nearly wiped somebody out changing lanes on the Westlink recently because it just doesn't get going when you want it to.

I got a pedal box, that sharpened up the throttle and gets the gears to change with less of a push on the pedal

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Even the X5 box is better!

I have the 8 speed ZF in my X5 too and it's great!

Can't believe you're in the 30s with the MPG too... my DSG car gets no more than 25 and that's driving easy!!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I have the 8 speed ZF in my X5 too and it's great!

Can't believe you're in the 30s with the MPG too... my DSG car gets no more than 25 and that's driving easy!!

I get similar to @Lyons re the MPG. I've tracked it since I bought the car (I think there was 7 miles on it when I collected it) and its currently giving this:

Screenshot_2019-01-02-19-20-07.png

It has dropped a bit with the winter tyres on it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Just feels like yesterday I was posting this thread, can’t believe it was over 3 years ago 😰. Gave it its final wash last night, then after a stressful exchange this morning (which included me texting Mrs Lyons to say “if he appears back in the car park without me, block the car in”), it went to its new owner this morning. I don’t care what other folk think, but the R is 1 fantastic car- great all rounder. We’ve never kept a car for anywhere near 3 years before. It’s going to be sorely missed!

BC9C8AD2-FF52-49B1-9998-DA3996466C3A.jpeg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Why was the exchange so stressful?

Congrats on the sale anyway. I HATE selling cars, anyone who does it for a living deserves every penny they earn from it!

The whole thing was horrendous, the negotiations etc too. Today he had cash and despite me arranging to meet him at the bank, he wouldn’t go in with me and took 1 key, did the paperwork before hand.

Anyway, it’s done now. Just the stress of choosing a replacement lies ahead!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Sounds like a weirdo, no keys or V5 until the cash is handed over or in your account lol. Well at least it’s away, now comes the good bit, happy shopping!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sounds like a weirdo, no keys or V5 until the cash is handed over or in your account lol. Well at least it’s away, now comes the good bit, happy shopping!

The thing is, you could argue it was me being weird. He was happy to hand the money over, but I wasn’t happy to be relying on it being genuine!

Looking forward to seeing what you replace it with :cool:

Nothing too exciting, 430/5d or X3. “We” just can’t decide.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Nah you’re just right, used notes all the way, none of those crisp 50’s thanks! At least it’s in the bank and you didnt do what I did lol.....left 10k sitting in a paper bag on the frnot window sill of the house overnight 😱🥴:-#

Deleted member 13907

D
The thing is, you could argue it was me being weird. He was happy to hand the money over, but I wasn’t happy to be relying on it being genuine!

Nothing too exciting, 430/5d or X3. “We” just can’t decide.
435d all the way. In my eyes it’s pretty much the perfect car.

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
The whole thing was horrendous, the negotiations etc too. Today he had cash and despite me arranging to meet him at the bank, he wouldn’t go in with me and took 1 key, did the paperwork before hand.

Anyway, it’s done now. Just the stress of choosing a replacement lies ahead!

That sounds bloody awful! Fair play for sticking it out. I once sold a car to a guy from Dublin who made me go with him to two different banks to get a two separate bankers drafts, each amounting to half the price of the car. I think it was a tax dodge...

Enjoy the exciting moments while looking for a new car! Then you get to be on the other side and you can take half the money for the new car, from your offshore/underground/secret squirrel/foreign currency/gold store and hide its true cost from your (ex) wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/yellow pastures minister and speed off into the distance! Or does not everyone buy their cars from two bank accounts?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I really do wonder why it's so hard for some people to understand the basic principles of buying a car.

Have the finances
Arrange to see the car
Agree a deal / not agree a deal
Pay for it

It's not difficult so why do so many struggle with these 4 steps 😂