MK7 VW GOLF R'S

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Can you make it a convertible and take 3s off the 0-60 time? Sadly the only way Mrs Lyons would be interested!

You done an E93, you know you want to try an E88

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
I will be looking 3 door blue or grey with around 20-30k max miles as want to take a few years out of it and I like low miles, thanks though
Remember to factor in the cost of the 40k mile service if buying one with them miles, it can be just expensive enough 8o|
Had a look on Autotrader there and there's a real good choice in England if you don't mind a wee trip, could be worth it to get a good spec(y)

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Remember to factor in the cost of the 40k mile service if buying one with them miles, it can be just expensive enough 8o|
Had a look on Autotrader there and there's a real good choice in England if you don't mind a wee trip, could be worth it to get a good spec(y)
I usually go to england for my cars, better choice and better miles for the money, will see what comes up in the next few weeks ;)

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Golf R and S3 underneath are similar and some of the short sighted or VW nuts will tell you the Golf is a better handling, more engaging car but the two cars look totally different from the inside and out.

I had no issue going from my old S3 to my Scirocco R to my new S3 which effectively are more or less the same engine.

KevM

RMS Regular
The only “problem” with a Golf R, and the same can be said for most fast Audi’s, is, they do everything a little too well, which almost removes the feel of proper exhilaration. It’s too easy to drive them quick, they feel safe. That’s likely a really good thing in a daily.

Personally, I would rather have a slower less capable car that engages the driver more.

That’s not a negative against the R, just a personal preference I suppose

zafturbo

RMS Regular
435d are awesome! Would you not find s3 too similiar to the golf r?
My friend has a mapped 435 d Xdrive and it is a really good going car say 0-90mph .only had a quick blast up the carriageway for like a mile up and down but it felt real quick of the roundabouts .

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The only “problem” with a Golf R, and the same can be said for most fast Audi’s, is, they do everything a little too well, which almost removes the feel of proper exhilaration. It’s too easy to drive them quick, they feel safe. That’s likely a really good thing in a daily.

Personally, I would rather have a slower less capable car that engages the driver more.

That’s not a negative against the R, just a personal preference I suppose

Heard someone liken the Golf R to a smaller brother of the Nissan GT-R, makes sense if you think about it like that.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Surely a golf r well set up is more than quick enough to trouble or even pass a Impreza ect .
Stage 2 tuned they are over 410bhp in a smaller lighter car. Id have thought be plenty power to pass imprezas or evos?
I’m talking handling and grip. Not even close. As for power Imprezas and evos can be tuned to anything depending on your budget.

Michael44

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancia
Surely a golf r well set up is more than quick enough to trouble or even pass a Impreza ect .
Maybe, but not with the typical golf r owner driving it. They must be programmed to only accelerate when the steering wheel is dead straight and go into panic mode at the first sight of a corner.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Of the many cars I've owned the 4wd cars I've owned have been 2 Impreza's, an Evo 6 and now a Golf R

The Impreza was a lovely car, characterful noise, great going, neutral handling, but a little soft, by that I mean brakes, suspension and gearbox (I had one that made a horrible grinding noise when driven hard for more than a few miles, under warranty tho!)...………..this made it a fantastic every day fast car though, comfortable and brilliant seats. That was why I had 2 for a for a few years. I liked them and miss them.

The Evo 6, always wanted one, saw them as hard nut. It was! Characterless, no nice engine note, unbelievable traction, hard suspension and great brakes but brilliant for going fast on back roads, great handling, edging to oversteer, but hard to live with. I drove it every day for 6 months. Easy to see why it was such a successful GrpN rally car. Didn't miss it.

The Golf R...……..bit like a cross between the 2 + more technology and comfort but with the DSG its a great every day car. The suspension gets out of its depth at over 9/10ths driving as do the brakes and the handling is fine but the haldex setup makes it very front biased on power which again makes it great every day. Its fast but not fun to drive, I can't think of a single modern mainstream car that is fun to drive though...…………......🤔

What's faster? The Golf in a straight line, just but the Evo 6 was the king on a back road and to me always will be, mind bending! Still prefer my Golf R over either though;)

Last edited:

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Of the many cars I've owned the 4wd cars I've owned have been 2 Impreza's, an Evo 6 and now a Golf R

The Impreza was a lovely car, characterful noise, great going, neutral handling, but a bit soft, by that I mean brakes, suspension and gearbox...………..this made it a fantastic every day fast car though, comfortable and brilliant seats. That was why I had 2 for a for a few years. I liked them and miss them.

The Evo 6, always wanted one, saw them as hard nut. It was! Characterless, no nice engine note, unbelievable traction, hard suspension and great brakes but brilliant for going fast on back roads, great handling, edging to oversteer, but hard to live with. I drove it every day for 6 months. Easy to see why it was such a successful GrpN rally car. Didn't miss it.

The Golf R...……..bit like a cross between the 2 + more technology and comfort but with the DSG its a great every day car. The suspension gets out of its depth at over 9/10ths driving as do the brakes and the handling is fine but the haldex setup makes it very front biased on power which again makes it great every day. Its fast but not fun to drive, I can't think of a single modern mainstream cars that are fun to drive though...…………......🤔

What's faster? The Golf in a straight line, just but the Evo 6 was the king on a back road and to me always will be, mind bending! Still prefer my Golf R over either though;)

Have you any tuning done to your golf R Mike?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I honestly thought a new golf r would be all over the back of a standard Impreza Sti on a fast back road .