Modest Mods

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lee

RMS Regular
Personally I think a number plate is a big one as mentioned.. It can make or break a car. For a good example, an E46 M3. A 2 digit NI reg will look so much better than a re-reg for example LIG ****.

It can't be denied that it adds much more class to the car.

Agree'd on cleanliness too. Some cars just look like nothing when dirty/no tyre shine. Keep it mint and people will rubber neck.

Daniel

RMS Regular
OP
Daniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Always like a small touch of carbon wrapping if it's done right & not overused.

Daniel

RMS Regular
OP
Daniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
I don't know if this is so much modest, but its definitely a nice touch to have your rear seats match your front brides!

izgu.jpg

Last edited:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Take it you mean with aftermarket front seats?

Don't think there's much need to replace the front seats in an EVO tho, there usually pretty nice looking.
Each to their own tho

Last edited:

Nigel AI 600

RMS Regular
Drives
EVO VII
Nice to see that even the little touches don't go unnoticed. Like you say maybe not exactly modest but for something relatively simple to get done it totally transformed the interior of my car and brings the whole interior together. To be fair my favourite interior mod which could again arguably be called modest within reason was getting the roof cloth and and all pillars retrimmed in black alcantara totally transformed the whole inside of the car.

Daniel

RMS Regular
OP
Daniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
Always loved coloured wheel nuts other than the standard polished ones. Not the cheapest modest mod, but they look the part!

The ones I got for my own car.
img2012102000485.jpg

I loved the blue ones I had on my old starlet, they were real nice against white on white. :grinning:

Daniel

RMS Regular
OP
Daniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
I've recently started to get a notion for under the bonnet mods.

Any help/advice/cool stuff I could do or buy? (Relatively cost effective, not just turboing/supercharging)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I always liked the wee mod i did in my last a4. Shortened the card drawer, fitted an ipod dock and connected it up to the head unit.

Very smart Richie, absolutely love that! Going to look into doing it myself now.

Edit- any idea what dock you used @richie_mck? And was the phone tight fitting? I have a thin case on my phone and would rather not have to remove it each time.

Last edited:

ryan_v

RMS Regular
Drives
mountain bike
I love subtle mods and the sleeper image but in most cases unless your a die hard fan of that particular model of car you'll never notice. My car isn't 100% the way I want it too look from the outside but no one ever suspects a granny spec starlet to be a 300bhp+ 4x4.

I also think any car can look 10 times better if its detailed, with out changing anything.

My mate just cut and welded his Astra gsi window wiper arms with Vxr Astra ends so he could have the smaller fitting on the end and it still looks oem, doubt anyone will ever notice the effort put in to his window wipers.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
One of my favourite subtle mods was the iPod recessed into the sun visor of the caligra
Caligra086.jpg

Used the plastic tray from the iPod box, ran the lead up the a pillar and through the leather trimmed visor.

Great idea but why in the name of god would you mount an iPod sideways which has no accelerometer built in to turn the screen! Especially when 1st gen ipod touch can be got for buttons these days. Looks very smart but the sideways head to change song would get very tiresome

1331399565385488.jpg

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
I've started adding bits to my Accord, black leather gearknob with red stitching and matching gaiter, maybe try and get one for the handbrake to match. Next up, do something with the steering wheel then a nice boot spoiler

Stevie91

RMS Regular
I've recently started to get a notion for under the bonnet mods.

Any help/advice/cool stuff I could do or buy? (Relatively cost effective, not just turboing/supercharging)
What about this?

How to Install Bonnet Struts (Hood Dampers):

Would like that myself

Daniel

RMS Regular
OP
Daniel
Drives
Silvia PS13
What about this?

How to Install Bonnet Struts (Hood Dampers):

Would like that myself

That's actually what my mate said to me yesterday while fitting the new induction kit. Then I watched this very video just earlier today & now you've said it, the gods are saying "You must do this!" lol .. I shall do some research :grinning:

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Very smart Richie, absolutely love that! Going to look into doing it myself now.

Edit- any idea what dock you used @richie_mck? And was the phone tight fitting? I have a thin case on my phone and would rather not have to remove it each time.

Sorry only seeing your comment now. I just used the standard iphone dock at the time and shaved the sides down to make a tight fit, then just a bit of double sided tape to hold it down and to make an easier job if it needed upgraded. The phone sat perfect in it and had no probs playing, even with it lowered on coilovers. I also had a charging kit so that the dock charged the phone as well. I don't think it would work with the phone case though :worried:

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Great idea but why in the name of god would you mount an iPod sideways which has no accelerometer built in to turn the screen! Especially when 1st gen ipod touch can be got for buttons these days. Looks very smart but the sideways head to change song would get very tiresome

View attachment 56404

It wouldnt fit upright considering it has a hardwired connector going to it and we didn't want to have to remake both sunvisors.

And the ipod touch was only a year old when we were building this so fetched a premium. Despite it not being our own money we were spending, Lee spent it all on f*cking teak decking.

@r16vka LOL!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.