More 'what bike' ramblings

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
Thinking of changing my 04 CBR1000RR to something different as working in London now with a short 15 minute commute through built up areas.

Will still use the bike for occasional blasts so don't want to sacrifice too much power.

I have a hankering for a twin as never had one although had a ride on a mate's VTR SP1 years ago and thought it was broken as have been born and bred on in line fours top end rush. Think I've matured a lot since then though!

Short list so far - budget up to £5k... I think :innocent:
Aprilia RSV (no dealer network though)
VTR SP1 (as above but expensive)
KTM Superduke
MV Brutale (one in Ballymena Honda today. I know not a twin but looked well)
Ducati Supermotard

Comments welcome

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Why not consider a Tuono Factory, brilliant comfortable bike and should be around your budget.

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
Just checked that one Mike - ill put it on the shortlist
Are the aprilia factory models a lot better on the road or is it only worth it on track?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'd fancy the ducati hypermotard because of the urban commute and the visablity you get from the higher riding position. If you try any kind of supermoto in a city they are so much fun, but then the ducati still has the power to make it fun out in country.
I'd have a ktm 990SM or SMT on the list too.
I think you might just about get one of these for 5k.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
I'd fancy the ducati hypermotard because of the urban commute and the visablity you get from the higher riding position. If you try any kind of supermoto in a city they are so much fun, but then the ducati still has the power to make it fun out in country.
I'd have a ktm 990SM or SMT on the list too.
I think you might just about get one of these for 5k.

Good shout, or a monster. Sv650 might surprise you how good it is.....

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
Good shout on the monster dusty
The only drawback i can see is with the wind at speed on the nakeds. Can this be sorted with an aftermarket fly screen?
I had a CB1300 a few years back and literally couldn't hold on past about 120 with the human sail effect! :laughing:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
The v twin Tuono is basically a big supermoto with more power and comfort. The factory model adds forged wheels in blue, carbon bodywork and ohlins suspension so really the standard one is fine.

KTM SMT is good but personally I don't like the engine much and the throttle is very snatchy.

Triumph Speed or Street Triple?

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
15 min commute.
Just buy a 125 scooter and keep the blade for the weekend blasts.

Id rather have a scooter robbed than a blade

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
The v twin Tuono is basically a big supermoto with more power and comfort. The factory model adds forged wheels in blue, carbon bodywork and ohlins suspension so really the standard one is fine.

KTM SMT is good but personally I don't like the engine much and the throttle is very snatchy.

Triumph Speed or Street Triple?

Was just reading a used bike article in Ride magazine comparing the SuperDuke and the Tuono.
Tuono seems to have the edge in their opinion. Very affordable too.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I had a Hypermotard 796 and really liked it.
Not the wheelie machine that the 1100 is but a great bike all the same.

The wee air cooled V Twin was surprisingly punchy and made a great noise.
It was a very useable road bike for nipping around on.

I wouldn’t fancy touring on one though.
You could obviously but by the time you modify it to do so you’d wonder why you didn’t buy a Multistrada in the first place.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Good shout on the monster dusty
The only drawback i can see is with the wind at speed on the nakeds. Can this be sorted with an aftermarket fly screen?
I had a CB1300 a few years back and literally couldn't hold on past about 120 with the human sail effect! :laughing:

There is only so much a screen can do but it definitely helps. I dont mind mine on motorway at all.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
Ktn vs aprilla id be taking the ktm much easier to get parts for. Ive seen it take 2 months to get a new rear tail light on an aprilla

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
Ktn vs aprilla id be taking the ktm much easier to get parts for. Ive seen it take 2 months to get a new rear tail light on an aprilla

Good point bud - not even a dealer in Ireland so would need to go over to Scotland for anything major ^o)

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Good point bud - not even a dealer in Ireland so would need to go over to Scotland for anything major ^o)
You can get anything online as you would for any bike. Unlikely you would be going to a bike dealer for any part on a 5 year old or older bike. I've never done it. They never stock parts anyway and order them in.

Aprilia parts are not as plentiful though.

Only thing I ever needed beyond oil and filters was a starter regulator.

genman

G
early v4 tuonos are nearly in your budget.
ive owned most of the sporty Aprilias and yes they have gremlins and electrical issues.
Generally parts arent that difficult to get but xan be costly.
However.... having now moved to a Suzuki Gsxs1000f i find it great. does everything and more than fast enough... shop about and theyll be close to the budget.. easy to service.. great on fuel and cheap to insure and being a street bike its great in town

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
UPDATE
Decided to send the blade home and buy a commuter for London :cool:
Looked at 125s but think they would be too slow
Viewed a ninja 250 but it was a bit small physically for my 35" leg
Dealer nearly had me convinced on a PCP deal on the new Honda CRF250 Rally
Then a mate recommended a KTM Duke 390 so booked a test ride for next week
Budget well and truly blown now any more ideas?

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
My choice would be a Yamaha MT07 for commuting around London.. they are small, light, frugal but massive fun. Not very expensive and you have Japanese reliability.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
The MT07 is perfect for London ^^ Full system(or factory Akrapovic) for a bit more noise though..

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
outa that list id pick the MT yamaha or SMT ktm.. mega fun on most roads...

the Aprillia. as sexy looking as they are. it WILL let you down at some point.

dave b

RMS Regular
OP
dave b
Drives
Panny Turbo
MT07 more than I wanted to spend. If new was looking to keep to maximum finance of around £4500
MT03 prob more suitable as commute is only 3 miles but maybe a little gutless? Need a test ride I guess
CB500F or X any good?

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
The honda 500s are all pretty good. Well built dont seem to need much maintanice bar oil the chain and usal service. They are abit slow but for a 3 mile commute cant see a problem.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.