MOT: Vehicle test centre closes over fault in car lifts

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
its not correct that all mot for cars and vans is suspended. go to the test center and ask. i was at a test center this morning and got a date for this afternoon. they are working away doing as many as they can over the pit. just ask nicely and you might get lucky.

neil#66

RMS Regular
It’s all pretty bad communication and explanations as to what can and what can’t be done. Here’s what I can pick up from this all, not sure all this is right but just my personal view.

1. cars/light commercial vehicles which are over 4 year old cannot be tested, they will have their current mot extended for 4 months, as they should have a certificate which can be extended

2. a car which is now 4 years old (first time being MOT’d here) will be prioritised to get a certificate. These will be tested on the HGV lane,

3. taxis will be prioritised as well.

4. HGV’s/buses will be tested as normal.

5. retests can be done (as long as a lift is not needed to check the defect)

6. Cars/light commercial vehicles tests can still booked for first available date, if that date arrives and the issue still isn’t sorted and extension can be given from that date?

I have a car needing to be MOT’d, it’s booked for middle of February, I will be waiting to that time before making any assumptions of what should be done or to get it on the road.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
its not correct that all mot for cars and vans is suspended. go to the test center and ask. i was at a test center this morning and got a date for this afternoon. they are working away doing as many as they can over the pit. just ask nicely and you might get lucky.
Agreed, one I prepared last week went through Larne tonight.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
One day Mot’s cancelled... the next....
9301AAAD-FC14-490B-906D-EB5D14BAB493.jpeg

colin84

RMS Regular
I would be interested to know how they are going to deal with the back log if this does take months rectify, bearing in mind they can't keep up as it is. My MOT was supposed to be next Sunday!

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
I would be interested to know how they are going to deal with the back log if this does take months rectify, bearing in mind they can't keep up as it is. My MOT was supposed to be next Sunday!

was wondering that myself. Summer will be interesting! They may open 24/7!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Would it be worth my while ringing each day to see if there was a cancellation between now and the 14th?

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Maybe a bit premature yet. Probably more sensible to get the NCT centres down south to test for NI....:p:p

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Nichola Mallon rattling on yesterday that she's not long back to work and she's inherited this mess and there will be an enquiry blah blah.

Does she expect to go back to work and just sit on her hole like she (and the rest of them up there on the hill) have for the past few years. Holidays over Nic, get on with it.

As for an enquiry that's going to cost us taxpayers, well the outcome will be the same as any other enquiry. Someone f**ked up, they'll apologise and that will be the end of it.

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Its still all rather confusing and messed up.
Seems earliest date I can book is 20th Feb, but MOT is up on 10th Feb.
What if they don't cancel that date then, I guess that means I do not receive the TEC.

Why can't they just issue the TEC for all those who have a date booked over the next say 4 weeks?

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
If you have a car that's due MOT in the spring / summer would it be advisable to book a date now even though you know it's unlikely to happen?
IE - when things are back up and running will they be giving preference to those who have tests booked over those who try to book when things have levelled out?

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
Bit of info for anyone who has a car that is now out of MOT or is about to run out of MOT:

There is an extension being provided to certain vehicles which are due MOT after 20th January. The extension can be up to 4 months. DVLA number to contact to find out if you car is eligible for the extension is 0300 200 7861. If you follow the steps through to "driver and vehicle testing" and then the step for "speak to advisor" give them your registration and they will tell you if your vehicle has the extension. They will send out paperwork to the registered keeper of the car to confirm this and it will also be logged on the DVLA system online.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Bit of info for anyone who has a car that is now out of MOT or is about to run out of MOT:

There is an extension being provided to certain vehicles which are due MOT after 20th January. The extension can be up to 4 months. DVLA number to contact to find out if you car is eligible for the extension is 0300 200 7861. If you follow the steps through to "driver and vehicle testing" and then the step for "speak to advisor" give them your registration and they will tell you if your vehicle has the extension. They will send out paperwork to the registered keeper of the car to confirm this and it will also be logged on the DVLA system online.

I was just in the test centre there and the advisor on the phone was explaining that the extension would only kick in once the test appointment has been confirmed as cancelled.

By the sounds of it, the likes of @Boydie who's test appointment isn't until days after the MOT runs out, his extension won't be valid until the DVA has confirmed his appointment will not go ahead?

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
If your car failed its MOT, say last last week for example, and your retest date is cancelled...does this mean that your car is not road legal for the X amount of additional time until you get another appointment? Or will you get the extension, effectively allowing your keep driving roadworthy vehicle?