Motor insurance bureau

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
MIB is a balls, a mate got hit by a stolen car years ago (like 30 years ago). Car was written off and 3 out of 4 people in the car quite badly injured, it took 5 years to get anything back for either the car or the injuries out of the MIB. They fecked him around in the most sh1ty ways, at one point they suggested the whole thing was his fault for driving in a 'dodgy' area. Engage whoever you need to get properly compensated for your injuries.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
Surely the whole thing is 1 for your company insurance then?

I thought that too but someone had said to me my work van nor work was at fault so the responsibility lies on the offending driver. Which is of no use as the donkey had no insurance!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm no expert, but I would've thought its insured by your work, so its their insurance that sorts it.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Fella in our work reversed one of the companies vans into a car sitting in traffic. The boss didn't even suggest putting it through his own insurance. Company van on company time = companies insurance.

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
I run cases on behalf of clients through the MIB regularly under both the Uninsured and Untraced Drivers' Agreements. Generally speaking these cases take a bit longer to bring to conclusion as the MIB are notoriously slow (normally as a Police Report is required before they will consider the claim properly) but the outcome in terms of damages should be exactly the same. Under the Uninsured Drivers' Agreement you can issue Court proceedings against the Uninsured Driver and the MIB as Co-Defendants, effectively in this scenario the MIB step into the shoes of the Uninsured Driver, it is an option that should be exercised if the MIB are not paying appropriate damages under that Agreement. Under the Untraced Drivers' Agreement there is no remedy through the Courts but you can exercise your right to have the case examined by an Arbitrator- normally a Barrister, who will review the case and provide a written Judgment on it.
Always happy to give any Forum members a steer on the process if required.

Ricky

RMS Regular
I’ve heard mixed reports about MIB, I’ve heard of some people getting payouts and some people haven’t, I’m not sure how it works though as I’ve never dealt with it.

p.s the accident you were in in November, was it the multi vehicle crash near the train station at Holywood?

hope you’re ok now though mate!

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
I run cases on behalf of clients through the MIB regularly under both the Uninsured and Untraced Drivers' Agreements. Generally speaking these cases take a bit longer to bring to conclusion as the MIB are notoriously slow (normally as a Police Report is required before they will consider the claim properly) but the outcome in terms of damages should be exactly the same. Under the Uninsured Drivers' Agreement you can issue Court proceedings against the Uninsured Driver and the MIB as Co-Defendants, effectively in this scenario the MIB step into the shoes of the Uninsured Driver, it is an option that should be exercised if the MIB are not paying appropriate damages under that Agreement. Under the Untraced Drivers' Agreement there is no remedy through the Courts but you can exercise your right to have the case examined by an Arbitrator- normally a Barrister, who will review the case and provide a written Judgment on it.
Always happy to give any Forum members a steer on the process if required.

Hi Neil - I appreciate the information. I’m trying to workout which option is better for me in regards of putting my claim through the MIB or my work insurance. End of the day I was in a company van on company hours driving to one of my shops when the accident happened.

A few have said I can’t process my claim through work as I was hit by another driver that has no insurance.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
I’ve heard mixed reports about MIB, I’ve heard of some people getting payouts and some people haven’t, I’m not sure how it works though as I’ve never dealt with it.

p.s the accident you were in in November, was it the multi vehicle crash near the train station at Holywood?

hope you’re ok now though mate!

Yes pal I was involved in that accident. 7 cars involved - a polish driver was dangerous driving up through Holywood and tried to under take an Audi S4/5. He shunt him into my lane as I was Belfast bound and I was hit head on by the Audi driver.

Yes not too bad just going through physio for hand and chest still. Back to work on light duties for four weeks after 12 weeks off.

Ricky

RMS Regular
Yes pal I was involved in that accident. 7 cars involved - a polish driver was dangerous driving up through Holywood and tried to under take an Audi S4/5. He shunt him into my lane as I was Belfast bound and I was hit head on by the Audi driver.

Yes not too bad just going through physio for hand and chest still. Back to work on light duties for four weeks after 12 weeks off.

thought so, I remember hearing it on the news at the time.

That sounds horrific.

that road seems to have a history for head on collisions.

Glad you’re ok though and hope you Get sorted.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
thought so, I remember hearing it on the news at the time.

That sounds horrific.

that road seems to have a history for head on collisions.

Glad you’re ok though and hope you Get sorted.

It is the only spot from Belfast to Marino where the lanes are all opened with no centre reservation..

thanks buddy - much appreciated

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

I think you're looking more along the lines of claiming off their employers' liability insurance rather than their fleet insurance. Have a word with your solicitor.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
Surely if the audi hit you then its the audi drivers insurance you go after, its then their insurance what will go after the person who hit them into your lane?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Surely if the audi hit you then its the audi drivers insurance you go after, its then their insurance what will go after the person who hit them into your lane?
I'd say so, at first I thought the car had hit you alone but another car (Audi) has hit you so it's them you need to claim from. **** one for them as they are blameless but that's life.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H

I'd say so, at first I thought the car had hit you alone but another car (Audi) has hit you so it's them you need to claim from. **** one for them as they are blameless but that's life.

Really ??

I received a letter from my solicitor and stapled to the back was a letter from the solicitor of the chap who caused the accident saying to go through MIB as he had no car insurance and due to financial circumstances he can not afford to pay any compensation

I am trying to get ahold of my solicitor (but mugs here picked a mutual friend) and they aren’t returning my call ffs)

I am honestly baffled.

I’ll give a run down maybe someone can shed light on it.

Driver 1 ( offender) was dangerously driving up Belfast road Bangor bound. He was in the outside lane when he decided to undertake driver 2 (Audi)

Driver 1 whilst undertaking the Audi mounted the pavement hitting a car stationed on a foot path. He then bounced back into the road and hit driver 2 and pushed him into my lane as I was Belfast bound. Driver 2 hit me head on.

Driver 1 then hit 3 more vehicles behind me that were Belfast bound.

So out of all 7 cars involved driver 1 (offender) hit 5 cars. Driver 2 who was hit by driver 1 hit me.

Last edited:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Really ??

I received a letter from my solicitor and stapled to the back was a letter from the solicitor of the chap who caused the accident saying to go through MIB as he had no car insurance and due to financial circumstances he can not afford to pay any compensation

I am trying to get ahold of my solicitor (but mugs here picked a mutual friend) and they aren’t returning my call ffs)

I am honestly baffled.

I’ll give a run down maybe someone can shed light on it.

Driver 1 ( offender) was dangerously driving up Belfast road Bangor bound. He was in the outside lane when he decided to undertake driver 2 (Audi)

Driver 1 whilst undertaking the Audi mounted the pavement hitting a car stationed on a foot path. He then bounced back into the road and hit driver 2 and pushed him into my lane as I was Belfast bound. Driver 2 hit me head on.

Driver 1 then hit 3 more vehicles behind me that were Belfast bound.

Have you spoken to anyone from Crash Services? I know Accident Mgt companies have the rep of being ambulance chasers, but honestly they are worth using in very complicated cases like this.

It's worth a phonecall in my opinion, you have nothing to lose. They were invaluable in my Dad's case with the MIB.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Claim off the driver that hit you and let their insurance do the chasing.
Yes driver 1 was responsible for the RTC but it was driver 2 that struck you. Bad situation for them to be in, but that's what insurance is for. The uninsured driver was the cause of the accident but he didn't actually strike you.
I was involved with a 4 car nose to tail years ago in work on Bridge End, each driver claimed off the one that had hit them and it was passed down the line to the final drivers insurance company.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
Think I am going to phone citizen advise in the morning and ask what they suggest I do.

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
No point ringing Crash as their Solicitors will be unable to provide you with any advice as you already have a Solicitor. My advice is to speak to your own Solicitor. Agree re Citizens advice, no point contacting them really.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
So touching 2 years since this crash and I was informed that the chap legged it back to poland and there is now a warrant out for his arrest.

Was told by my solicitor that MIB couldnt settle the case until the criminal matter was resolved but now they are going to sort it.....

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I had accident recently with uninsured driver hitting my car. He and some others were were arrested for this and other offences.
Car is getting fixed at the minute and I'm assuming my insurance sort it all out with MIB? Seems I just have to pay £150 excess.
Does this sound about right?
Also, minor personal injury, if I claim for this, would it put my future premiums sky high? I'm on insurance for 2 cars, 2 bikes and a van so it could make quite a difference?