Motor insurance bureau

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I had accident recently with uninsured driver hitting my car. He and some others were were arrested for this and other offences.
Car is getting fixed at the minute and I'm assuming my insurance sort it all out with MIB? Seems I just have to pay £150 excess.
Does this sound about right?
Also, minor personal injury, if I claim for this, would it put my future premiums sky high? I'm on insurance for 2 cars, 2 bikes and a van so it could make quite a difference?

Yes your insurance should just sort it with the MIB... Or that's the theory anyway.

As for affecting your premiums there most likely will be an impact there as you'll now have to answer yes to the 'have you been been involved in an accident in the last x amount of years' question. How much of an impact only you will know unfortunately.

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
I had accident recently with uninsured driver hitting my car. He and some others were were arrested for this and other offences.
Car is getting fixed at the minute and I'm assuming my insurance sort it all out with MIB? Seems I just have to pay £150 excess.
Does this sound about right?
Also, minor personal injury, if I claim for this, would it put my future premiums sky high? I'm on insurance for 2 cars, 2 bikes and a van so it could make quite a difference?
You wouldnt be claiming from your own insurer in respect of your injury claim so your insurance premium would not be affected. The claim would be progressed via the MIB as well but you need a Solicitor to lodge the application. Happy to provide you with any advice you require.

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
2.5yrs on and still not a penny received!

Going through MIB and the fella legging it to Poland doesn't help matters...
MIB are a disgrace these days, changed to an online portal during covid to “improve” the application process but now basically can’t contact them by phone. I sent a formal written complaint to one of the top dogs in there recently, expecting a response soon.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
MIB are a disgrace these days
TBH they always have been, a load of mates of mine were in a non fault accident in the late 90's, car written off, injuries etc. Other driver was uninsured, took 7 years for it to be sorted out via the MIB.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
My MIB case, from August (as above ^^) is now 8 months in and my solicitor had told me it would be typically 8 or 9 months to wait, so was hoping to hear something soon.

I don't like the sound of this update from herc and Neil.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
You wouldnt be claiming from your own insurer in respect of your injury claim so your insurance premium would not be affected. The claim would be progressed via the MIB as well but you need a Solicitor to lodge the application. Happy to provide you with any advice you require.

So when you go for a new insurance quote somewhere and have to answer have you made any claims in last 5 years- does that not affect your quote?

KevM

RMS Regular
My MIB case, from August (as above ^^) is now 8 months in and my solicitor had told me it would be typically 8 or 9 months to wait, so was hoping to hear something soon.

I don't like the sound of this update from herc and Neil.

I think it took them 6-7 years with mine!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
So when you go for a new insurance quote somewhere and have to answer have you made any claims in last 5 years- does that not affect your quote?
Just renewed my own car insurance last week, with this MIB claim still hanging. The accident was in my wife's car, not my fault.
Told them about it, and it made no apparent difference to the new premium on my own car. Shopped around too, and was getting competitive quotes from others too.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
This resulted in a £13K claim, no personal injury claims or anything. (Just for the repair and hire car)

20211030_135147.jpg
20211030_135150.jpg
20211030_135143.jpg

There are people in the system making an extortionate amount from something so simple.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This resulted in a £13K claim, no personal injury claims or anything. (Just for the repair and hire car)

View attachment 360850 View attachment 360851View attachment 360852

There are people in the system making an extortionate amount from something so simple.

And this one of the many true reasons why car insurance is so expensive. It most certainly is not those with no insurance, it's the fact the industry itself is corrupt as **** with massively inflated charges for everything, and a culture of encouraging false claims.

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
2.5yrs on and still not a penny received!

Going through MIB and the fella legging it to Poland doesn't help matters...
I still owe the mob money from an accident where the cops rammed me and then claimed back in 2003. Still never heard more from them than 1 single letter. Sound like a right useless bunch of ****s to me

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
Received an email from my solicitor stating that they have received confirmation that the MIB are prepared to deal with your claim and to enter into negotiations for full and final settlement.

Have to complete a conditional assignment form now.

Anyone know how long after this is should expect payment ??

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
It can still take a good while after they say that. I issue proceedings in all cases involving uninsured driver's now, sue the uninsured driver and the MIB, the MIB then effectively step into the shoes of the uninsured driver and nominate Solicitors to defend the claim. Means cases resolve at the usual speed (9-12 months from accident all being well). The problem arises when an accident is caused by an untraced driver as the claimant cannot issue Court proceedings in that scenario. In those cases I am finding there is significant delay and that's why I lodged the complaint, its unfair and against the principles of access to justice.

-herc-

RMS Regular
OP
H
It can still take a good while after they say that. I issue proceedings in all cases involving uninsured driver's now, sue the uninsured driver and the MIB, the MIB then effectively step into the shoes of the uninsured driver and nominate Solicitors to defend the claim. Means cases resolve at the usual speed (9-12 months from accident all being well). The problem arises when an accident is caused by an untraced driver as the claimant cannot issue Court proceedings in that scenario. In those cases I am finding there is significant delay and that's why I lodged the complaint, its unfair and against the principles of access to justice.

Don’t expect it this side of Christmas tbh - it’s an absolute shambles the MIB