Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Cheers for the advice guys,
The biggest problem i have at the minute s the budget as I'm basically skint, tho i may be able to get away on paying the insurance monthly,

I sopke to a couple of friends today and found out one's brother was selling a bike, and i ended up bringing it home,
I couldn't refuse the bike at the money he was looking for it, sold as a non runner the price was still a bargain

Im now the proud owner of a Yamaha XJ600 S Diversion, it hasn't been used in a few years so I'm going to give it a full service before i even attempt to start it, I'm fairly handy so don't mind a project, hope to have it running soon
The only thing it really needs its a tail light which is broken, a good polish will bring most of the paint work up. Tyres are good, and theres a new battery in her,
Pics will follow asap, still remains to be seen if i can insure her lol

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Nice one dude :grinning: Let me know if you need a hand with anything. Bikes are fun to tinker on :grinning:

Looking forward to pics

Also on the look out for a commuter 600/650 myself if anyone is thinking of selling (y)

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
congrats on getting a bike... none runner you say...
does it turn over? if not then lies within the electrical/ starter
is it getting fuel?? if not check hoses/ carbs could be disgusting (had it happen to my hornet)
is it sparking? coils could be dead
plenty of problems plenty of solutions lol my big one was the diode in the ignition was fried 20p to fix it and i spend over £50 on new coils etc ffs lol

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Yeh I was so close to buying coils for mine with the misfire, 4quid spark plug and its fixed.. phew !!

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
i went through everything serviced it, spark plugs fresh fuel, easy start, new battery, coils... all for it to be a 20p diode thats blown agian. got a new rectifyer that shuda been plug and play and wasnt so its gona sit in the garage agian and rot like it has the last 9 years ....bloody streetfighters lol

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
... anywho, took a 04 blade out on a test ride today... tempted to maybe change to it from my cbr600rr4 but i dont know.... hmmmmmmmm

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Howd you find it? Rode to kirkistown on a HRC Blade with full yoshi system. Felt remarkably tame but fast. Very confidence inspiring

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
i priced a divvy for insurance years ago and it was retardedly expensive compared to other comparable bikes like 600 bandits and fazers. like hundreds more. some models of bike are just like that. was years ago tho, things change.

dross - i dont think his is a non runner, from the sounds of it he just wants to service it before starting it. considering some of the heaps ive got running im sure itll start right up if it was going when it was put away lol

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
i dunno it felt really planted flicked very easy didnt notice any real weight difference, noticeable power of course as it also has a power commander. i got off it thinking hmmm do i really wanna buy it.. is it worth my bike and a grand.. admittedly i did enjoy it, just so different having to be so careful not to give it the beans as the wheels was spinning up on any slight site of dirt on the road were the 600 doesn't.
although the fact of fire the throttle on doing the "national speed limit" lol in 2nd and it going "very light.. as in very very light" on the front was interesting..... i may talk myself into is as it was lovely looking bike. a better set of tyres on it perhaps and it being mine less afraid to drop it may make it more enjoyable... its just you cant drive it like a 600 off the stop everywhere for to get any really go outa it, it was just that nice twist and gone in most gears lol
if its still there when i get my car sold or get paid what ever comes first i may give it more thought

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Cheers for the advice folks,
The bike had been bought a new battery by the fella i bought it off, unfortunately it had gone flat when we tried to start it,
The next problem was the seat catch was seized so we couldn't jump start it either, so the bike was sold as a non-runner for sale purposes.
He had it running sometime over last summer and is confident it won't take much to start it.

Spent the last day and a bit trying to get the seat removed, turns out the catch was bent,
Seat is now off and the battery is on the charge, Ebay seems to be the place to get parts for them so I'm going to get a tail light off there,
There is a small crack on the exhaust where it enters the silencer, so will get that off and welded up hopefully over the weekend

I plan to flush the petrol tank and put some fresh petrol in it,
It turn out she had oil and a filter recently too,
What else would i need to do to give her the best chance for an easy start?

Pic as promised, (ignore the rubbish mid way through a tidy up lol)
She's not the prettiest with a few scratches and scrapes but it'll do as a first bike

DSCN0664.jpg

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
i dunno it felt really planted flicked very easy didnt notice any real weight difference, noticeable power of course as it also has a power commander. i got off it thinking hmmm do i really wanna buy it.. is it worth my bike and a grand.. admittedly i did enjoy it, just so different having to be so careful not to give it the beans as the wheels was spinning up on any slight site of dirt on the road were the 600 doesn't.
although the fact of fire the throttle on doing the "national speed limit" lol in 2nd and it going "very light.. as in very very light" on the front was interesting..... i may talk myself into is as it was lovely looking bike. a better set of tyres on it perhaps and it being mine less afraid to drop it may make it more enjoyable... its just you cant drive it like a 600 off the stop everywhere for to get any really go outa it, it was just that nice twist and gone in most gears lol
if its still there when i get my car sold or get paid what ever comes first i may give it more thought

Yeh - You can very easily get in trouble on a super 6 nevermind a 1000... ! The HRC was the same. Didnt feel quick then you looked down and oh dear thats license troubling speed.
That light front wheel is why I spent 350quid on a damper for the zx6r lol. Imagine what its like when youre hammering it! Great fun tho.

The XJ looks like a great wee project there (y)

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Bike looks well! A few hours spent with autosol would make a world of difference to it with the engine casings/yoke/footrest hangers etc.
I plan to flush the petrol tank and put some fresh petrol in it,
It turn out she had oil and a filter recently too,
What else would i need to do to give her the best chance for an easy start?
Being honest I wouldn't waste my time changing the petrol. Bit of an old wives tale that petrol goes off. I've got old bikes running after years of sitting with 10 year old petrol still in the tanks. Maybe just pull the plugs out (look easy got at in the picture there) and give them a bit of a clean then hit the button, see what it says and go from there.

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
petrol does still ignite after a while but its better to run fresh fuel through the carbs, id try it once the battery is charged and see what happens no point in spending money if itll start with just a charged battery lol, if you going for fresh fuel drain the carbs before starting just means the fresh stuff comes through quicker. other than that some easy start sprayed in behind the filter would help

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Still working away at the bike,
Not starting yet, strong spark but no sign of fuel, going to have a look at the carbs next,

Came across this on my searches for information,
The below link contains links to many owners and workshop manuals all types of bikes,
I downloaded the manual for my bike and it appears to be a genuine Haynes manual, much more detailed than a yamaha owners manual

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

With any luck someone will find it useful

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
carbs could just be bunged up, or vacum pipe may not be on correctly from the carbs to the fuel tap. also seems silly but is there fuel in it lol if its a Manuel reserve tap it could just be the ON part of the tap is above were the fuel is, try swapping to reserve. all failing that dirty blocked up carbs.. hopefully is all

NATMAN

RMS Regular
Drives
passat tdi130 /6
Still working away at the bike,
Not starting yet, strong spark but no sign of fuel, going to have a look at the carbs next,

Came across this on my searches for information,
The below link contains links to many owners and workshop manuals all types of bikes,
I downloaded the manual for my bike and it appears to be a genuine Haynes manual, much more detailed than a yamaha owners manual

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

With any luck someone will find it useful
My vfr 400 had a problem starting and it was the vacum part of the tank tap, i done away with the vacum insert and left it that you manually opened the tap for starting etc, never gave bother again.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Just traded my RR3 in at Ballymena Honda this morning and picked up my new bike.

It's a 2012 Honda CBR600F.

Over the moon with it. The bike is exactly what I'm after at the minute.

Perfect riding position for me (being 6'2), handles brilliantly, supple suspension and yet it's quick enough for a bit of fun.

I would definitely recommend one of these to someone who has just passed their test.

There is now 16 miles on the clock from my ride home:

cbr1c.jpg

cbr2v.jpg

cbr3.jpg

cbr4.jpg

cbr5.jpg

cbr6.jpg

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Get a members thread up about it you goat! :p Unless you wan tthis moved?

Cant see the pics but whats the big difference in riding position :confounded: I thought they'd be fairly similar no?

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
That is gorgeous!! Keep her rubber side down!
Cheers!
Get a members thread up about it you goat! :p Unless you wan tthis moved?
Cant see the pics but whats the big difference in riding position :confounded: I thought they'd be fairly similar no?
I would recommend this as a first bike so this post applies to the thread title you pedantic little Hitler of a moderator you! :grinning:

The riding position of this is night and day compared to the RR.

It's esentially a Hornet with fairings, a slightly different riding position, different suspension and different throttle map.

Peter

RMS Regular
Love these new CBR600f's! Wish I had've known these were coming out when I bought my hornet. Health to ride!

I would recommend putting some proective plastic on the foot peg hangers where your heel would be as they can get scuffed around there.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Lovely looking machine there and a nice colour choice! Bar a tail tidy and a fruity can, the only modification worth doing is going -1 on the front sprocket and +2 on the rear. Made an absolute world of a difference to my own Hornet. Response and drive out of corners and when overtaking will be massively improved the front should come up no bother if you give her a handful in second without touching the clutch ;)