Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
So as soon as you pass your test are you only allowed to ride up to a 600cc bike that is restricted ? After two years your then allowed to ride any size, that correct ?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
not entirely sure because i dont really fancy something really scary, i think you can ride up to Any CC, as long as it has been fitted with a restrictor..

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Do you know who your doing lesssons through ? I've Been on the Ians site but I guess theirs others ?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I'm using a guy in Derry now that I'm home again for the summer. I used a company called RTS in belfast before tho..

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
So as soon as you pass your test are you only allowed to ride up to a 600cc bike that is restricted ? After two years your then allowed to ride any size, that correct ?

incorrect, can ride any cc but must be restricted to 33bhp for two years if its power output is over that.

lorenzo make sure you test ride lots of different bikes, dont just decide on one you want now without having ridden any and then go looking at only that type. i.e. you might only look at zx636s now and then buy one, then your mate will give you a ride on their Z750 or supermoto and youll be like why the hell didnt i buy one of these its so much better lol just go to dealers and blag rides like ****

the most important thing when buying a bike is to try loads as they are all so different and there will be some that you just wont get on with.

FWIW i had a ninja and hated the handling i sold it after like a month, i just couldnt get on with it. if i had spent a fair bit of money getting the suspension set up for me it wouldve been good but i couldnt be bothered with the expense and hassle on that bike. apart from that it was a good bike the engine was awesome but i just didnt get on with it which is why im sayin try lots before you buy

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
A right, is it not bad for a bike with such a high cc to be restricted though or that a myth ?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Good man forde, sound bit of advice there..

I have a mate with a husaberg 650... Lovely thing, that would tempt me.. So I'll be touring all the bike shops for a while then, I like the look of the 636 I suppose that is all that is tempting me at the moment!

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
thinking of doing my bike test as well, only ever ridden a 4 stroke 125 (2005 XT125X)

dont have a clue on what size of bike to go for after the test though?

ive been offered a lend of a relatives CB1300 which i know id kill myself on... lol

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
leroy dont think it does much harm really but tbh you never really see anyone restricting anything over a 600 anyway as insurance would still be killer on a 1000 even if it was restricted to the same power they still charge more for the bigger bike. a restricted 600 is still quick enough for a new rider tbh. my mate had a restriced zzr400 and even it was good for over the ton

another thing to consider there lorenzo is that those ninjas are killer on insurance, mine was near twice as dear as the 1000cc i had after it and the 1000 i have now. they must have a bad crash record or something. get quotes for bikes your interested in before lookin at them or you might get a surprise lol.

yeah supermotos are sweet they are more for a fun blast tho if you were looking to do any distance i wouldnt be after one, what type of bike youll want depends what you want to do with it so have a think

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Seen RTS last week, 2 wee CG's being followed by a guy in a van (n)
Maybe bring van incase theres a problem and can just fire it in the back? Im presuming thats what it must be...

Will hopefully tell you in a few weeks as thats who im with at the min, but only done 2 lessons lol :oops: Altho 1 was that bad i just class it as a write off and as if it didnt happen!:broken_heart::mad::sob::sob:

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Ive my theory booked for next week lads.

Currently looking for an instructer in Belfast/Lisburn. Heard Rab Glendenning mentioned in a previous thread as being a good instructor.

Anyone recommend any others?

(y)

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Damn you lot are making me want to go for a bike now, even though my missus is like Benzo's mum and threatened me with the street last time I had the urge. I love the look and sound of the supermoto's so was considering getting a wee cheap DT125 to start on.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Cheers man, theory tomoz afternoon, so hopefully get that first step outta way (y)

Oh and Benzo, this might help too? :p http://www.reallymeansounds.com/forum/members-lounge/110989-getting-finger-out-motorbike-test.html

Theory is annoying, its the longer one now too so youll sit there wondering why youre still answering questions..

Hazard perception is funny the 2nd time round, very easy

Dam you lot are making me want to go for a bike now

Nice one ill fire up the pics from my mates camera of our pair then soon ;)

Everyones mum threatens them with living on the street lol

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Theory is annoying, its the longer one now too so youll sit there wondering why youre still answering questions..

Hazard perception is funny the 2nd time round, very easy
Well its bound to be longer than the 25 min, 35 question test i done 12 years ago :p:oops::sob:

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Ive my theory booked for next week lads.

Currently looking for an instructer in Belfast/Lisburn. Heard Rab Glendenning mentioned in a previous thread as being a good instructor.

Anyone recommend any others?

(y)

Rab (One to One), afaik, has stopped teaching due to health reasons.

I think his company has been taken over from another getleman from Lisburn whom apparently is also good.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
^ Thanks for that Ben, was just about to ring him tonight too!

(Edit: Just found out Rab is dead!)

How many lessons roughly ya talking to get the test, 10 or more? Just doin the sums up here!

(y)

NATMAN

RMS Regular
Drives
passat tdi130 /6
^ Thanks for that Ben, was just about to ring him tonight too!

(Edit: Just found out Rab is dead!)

How many lessons roughly ya talking to get the test, 10 or more? Just doin the sums up here!

(y)
Think me and my mate took 6 lessons and got the test 1st time that was 3 years ago. But then him and me both had been riding bikes years ago. The theory was ok we got it 1st time as well , i bought one of those cd rom theory test discs and just swotted on it for a week and read the book from cover to cover and picked pages at random and answered questions. Think it took 40 mins for the tests

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
A right, is it not bad for a bike with such a high cc to be restricted though or that a myth ?
Restricted bike is just less power, get your test done in England like I did. Direct Access means you dont need a restrictor. Mind you I dont know anyone that put one in after passing.

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
No difference in the test mate. You do all the same things as you would normally. Only difference is you do it on a 500cc not a 125cc. But you can only do it acoss the water and you got to be 21.