Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Test Passed!
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Thank feck, costly enough handling. Need to get a bike now!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Test Passed!
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Thank feck, costly enough handling. Need to get a bike now!

What sort of costs were involved?

I didn’t think it was an expensive process as it was only around £500 including test fees and lessons.

Reactions: WSK

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Cheers all - No bike in mind just yet, so much choice! Friends recently passed and got sports touring type bikes, but cant say I'm not tempted by more of a sports type bike, cbr/gsxr etc.

I would say I'm closer to £700 Nicky, awk its no fortune but i didn't expect it to be as much i guess. Buzzing to get out and about here!!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Cheers all - No bike in mind just yet, so much choice! Friends recently passed and got sports touring type bikes, but cant say I'm not tempted by more of a sports type bike, cbr/gsxr etc.

I would say I'm closer to £700 Nicky, awk its no fortune but i didn't expect it to be as much i guess. Buzzing to get out and about here!!

It’ll be money very well spent when you get out on your own bike and can appreciate the effort it’s taken.

Sports bikes are cheap and plentiful, but sports tourers like a Honda VFR or BMW K1300 will be as capable on our roads and do what a sports bike will do in more comfort.

I’d absolutely love another sports bike, but the tall, comfortable, ridiculously good handling GS has me spoilt and can easily be ridden all day long, corner like an absolute champion and cover big distances at a very good pace, so I know I’d only end up walking past anything else in the garage to get on it when I want to go out.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

RMS Regular
@WSK in my personal opinion, go for a middleweight naked for your first bike, as long as it's north of 100bhp you won't be bored.

Or of course as Nicky says, a sports tourer if that's your bag.

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I took a dander around BMW Motorrad and Yamaha at the weekend, some lovely machines around.
I've always loved the look of a GS but after throwing my leg over one I feel entirely too small lol

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I took a dander around BMW Motorrad and Yamaha at the weekend, some lovely machines around.
I've always loved the look of a GS but after throwing my leg over one I feel entirely too small lol

Take 1 a run. They genuinely don’t feel anywhere near the size or weight when you’re moving.

@Alan_B went from a Tracer to an R1200GS Adventure and had absolutely no issue adapting. It pains him to say it, but it’s an even nicer bike to ride than the Tracer GT too… 😆

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Remember proper motorcycle boots will add a bit of a lift for you. I’m 5’8 in my socks and I’ve yet to find a bike I struggle with height or size wise from Hayabusas to Supermotos. If worst comes to the worst you can get lower seats with less padding or a lowering kit for the suspension.
As soon as you start moving, even at a walking pace, all the weight vanishes like Nicky says.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Take 1 a run. They genuinely don’t feel anywhere near the size or weight when you’re moving.

@Alan_B went from a Tracer to an R1200GS Adventure and had absolutely no issue adapting. It pains him to say it, but it’s an even nicer bike to ride than the Tracer GT too… 😆

Only time I struggle with mine is trying to move it backwards on even a slight incline. I’d never ask for a push though would I @Nicky lol.

Loved my Tracer 900 GT, very capable wee bike only let down by stupid mapping in 6th.

What about a Suzuki GSXS1000F @StephenMcC? Nice looking bikes.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I've decided I want to get my licence to ride a 125cc scooter, not interested in anything bigger than that. It looks like I need to do my CBT first before I can ride on the road, then I can use L plates until I get my A1 test. I'm not sure whether to buy a new chinese scooter or an older honda etc. Anyone advice would be welcome!

Reactions: Lee

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
I've decided I want to get my licence to ride a 125cc scooter, not interested in anything bigger than that. It looks like I need to do my CBT first before I can ride on the road, then I can use L plates until I get my A1 test. I'm not sure whether to buy a new chinese scooter or an older honda etc. Anyone advice would be welcome!
Buy an old Honda or other reputable brand.Better built,last longer,better parts availability if needed and easier to sell on when necessary.

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
@saxo_man buy a honda monkey, absolutely great fun to ride and look great too with the retro styling plus still only a 125cc 😎
Ive not been on my bigger bike since i got my monkey bike 🐒🙈🤣

saxo_man

RMS Regular
@saxo_man buy a honda monkey, absolutely great fun to ride and look great too with the retro styling plus still only a 125cc 😎
Ive not been on my bigger bike since i got my monkey bike 🐒🙈🤣
They are very cool, but another thing I want to be able to do is take a pillion passenger.

Wheelchair

RMS Regular
Drives
They are very cool, but another thing I want to be able to do is take a pillion passenger.
If you’re considering taking a pillion would you not consider the full A2 licence and getting something around the 400 - 600cc range? I can’t imagine a 125 being cut out for the task, unless the pillion is a child.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
if you're over 24, why not just go direct access? same amount of work regardless, and then you can get whatever size you want

I got my car licence 25 years ago 😳
I assumed A1 was an easier test that A but after looking it up, it seems to be the same test just on different size engined bikes? All I want is to be legal to ride a 125cc, and an auto at that.
If you’re considering taking a pillion would you not consider the full A2 licence and getting something around the 400 - 600cc range? I can’t imagine a 125 being cut out for the task, unless the pillion is a child.
It would only be occasionally, but would need to be an option.

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I'm going through the same thing at the moment and from what I can tell, all the tests are the same but just on a bigger bike.

definitely wouldn't want to be using a 125 with a pillion myself, most are only 12bhp and anemic with even a single rider

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
As others have said id go direct access as more than anything the training on the bigger bike is well worth it and you gain alot of confidence from having it!

Personally id not take anyone on the back of a 125cc, well maybe unless it was a quick spin round to the shop with your son/daughter on the back but id like something bigger for protecting two people.

I know a fella with a Honda NC750X DCT which means it uses Honda's DCT automatic gearbox and he loves it, seems a nice cruiser and pretty sturdy.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Same here I wouldn’t be taking a pillion on a 125 twist and go they struggle enough with one person. I quite fancy something like a Suzuki Bergman maxi scooter to commute on I think they come in 300 and 600 cc.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Thanks for the feedback guys! Obviously yous have the experience here so I’ll look into it a bit more.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
If you're not wanting to go mad in to big bikes some of the Royal Enfields are lovely retro styled urban commuter bikes in the 300-600cc bracket. One of my team commutes on a Classic 500 which is nice. I quite fancy a Scram which is their 400cc scrambler styled runabout.

Could be an alternative to the scooter idea just.