mtec brakes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Got one of their full car kits for the accord last time round.

Drilled and grooved with mintex motor factor spec crap all round.

Noisy and dusty, but no fading unless I'd really been tramping over a long distance.

Pads lasted 3k miles at most. Blue print in as a stop gap until I can get DS2500's figured out and cut down to fit.

61_Vert

RMS Regular
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
the noise on mine are terrible and constant clicking even when not braking. look at the damage on these MTECs they were correctly installed run off check and i dont even brake hard mostly m'way miles. MTEC are cheap gash and when you ask them for help they dont want to know and make it as tricky as possible by asking for the discs back.

IMG-20180716-WA0002.jpg IMG-20180716-WA0005.jpg

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Put grooved mtecs on the front of the Range Rover and they were brilliant, no noise, and disc and pads cleaned perfectly after getting wet and dirty Off roading which is the reason I got grooved.

Drill discs are a balls tho I think

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Had grooved discs on a Yaris T-Sport and they made a hell of a noise. Were super dusty too. Never really saw the point in them over cheap discs and decent pads other than looking a bit sportier. There's probably some science to it but can't imagine a Yaris would benefit too much from it lol

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
the noise on mine are terrible and constant clicking even when not braking. look at the damage on these MTECs they were correctly installed run off check and i dont even brake hard mostly m'way miles. MTEC are cheap gash and when you ask them for help they dont want to know and make it as tricky as possible by asking for the discs back.

View attachment 200894 View attachment 200895
Looks like something was stuck between the pad and disc?

I just installed a set on the 330ci, because it's what it had before and they were perfect, also the MTEC kit was good value for money and the car is only used for going up and down the M1 anyway.
Now there is bit of noise of one but I think that's just down to the pad not being seated properly and I've not had a chance to go back to it.

It was a lot more prominent after first install but seems to have died down after bedding in, potentially paint on the discs? Only makes a bit of a clickling/ticking noise on start off now and you really have to listen out for it
Other 4 wheels are silent though

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
It was a lot more prominent after first install but seems to have died down after bedding in, potentially paint on the discs? Only makes a bit of a clickling/ticking noise on start off now and you really have to listen out for it
Other 4 wheels are silent though

Bmw’s Come with 5 Wheels? Lol

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
After much research I went for Zimmermann brake discs for my Insignia. MTEC and a few others were slated on other forums.

I had badly warped the standard discs, and had brake fade on 2 occasions which nearly needed some underwear changing. Even with 321 discs on the front, it was possible to get them to fade on a twisty road especially downhill.

I have been very pleased with them, they are as quite as standard brakes and I haven't had any brake fade since. I think i have put about 16,000 miles on them now. I installed Brembo pads with them and they are about 2/3 worn now.

Another pleasing feature is that they are coating, so no rust to worry about.

Otto Zimmermann Bremsscheiben GmbH -

i got mine from German Ebay.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've honestly never been able to tell the difference between different discs on the same car.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I've honestly never been able to tell the difference between different discs on the same car.

I have warped a few discs in my day.

I got a ticking off when I worked for Toyota, my first "company car" a little red 1.0 Aygo Sport needed new front tyres, discs and pads after only 4500 miles.

I've never had a set of discs last longer than 25,000 miles

Some might say I'm a bit hard on brakes.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
I warped discs flat out when I was driving tdi boras ect when I was young and couldn’t afford to insure anything with decent brakes so I’d be fairly hard on brakes. I had M-tec drilled and grooved discs on my 530d for 4 years+ without issue and would happily recommend them

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
By the scores on that disc matching the scores on the pads i say you have picked up a stone or something. I have ran m tec discs on a few skylines and s14s without an issue

pablo

RMS Moderator
After much research I went for Zimmermann brake discs for my Insignia. MTEC and a few others were slated on other forums.

I had badly warped the standard discs, and had brake fade on 2 occasions which nearly needed some underwear changing. Even with 321 discs on the front, it was possible to get them to fade on a twisty road especially downhill.

I have been very pleased with them, they are as quite as standard brakes and I haven't had any brake fade since. I think i have put about 16,000 miles on them now. I installed Brembo pads with them and they are about 2/3 worn now.

Another pleasing feature is that they are coating, so no rust to worry about.

Otto Zimmermann Bremsscheiben GmbH -

i got mine from German Ebay.

I have zimmermann on my M3, I like them a lot. Bought from autodoc in germany:

2018-04-25 20.17.03.jpg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I’ve used MTec drilled and grooves discs on a few cars in the past and no issues with them. Yes they’re dusty but isn’t that a normal byproduct of grooved discs?

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
Mtec are based in L'derry - I've been buying discs from Gavin (owner) from when he used to drill them in his parents garage. Never had an issue with them!

There are a few things I dislike now they have gotten bigger. A good example is the last discs I purchased, they were around £120 on their ebay store, that includes free delivery. I call down to their unit and ask to just buy them cash and collect, expecting to get them a little cheaper than £120 as they don't have to post. They said no, it's £120 take it or leave it - so I just stood there, ordered on my smartphone off ebay, and said sure send them out to me.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Mtec are based in L'derry - I've been buying discs from Gavin (owner) from when he used to drill them in his parents garage. Never had an issue with them!

There are a few things I dislike now they have gotten bigger. A good example is the last discs I purchased, they were around £120 on their ebay store, that includes free delivery. I call down to their unit and ask to just buy them cash and collect, expecting to get them a little cheaper than £120 as they don't have to post. They said no, it's £120 take it or leave it - so I just stood there, ordered on my smartphone off ebay, and said sure send them out to me.

Lots of big business like that now simply do not deal in cash so it can be more hassle for them to do so. Their business just isnt built around that model

I've had the same when buying some big stuff from ebay sellers in England where I've been over there to pick stuff up and paid for it. They actually told me it's a lot of hassle for them to use cash, and their banks charge them a fee for lodging cash.

genman

G
Lots of big business like that now simply do not deal in cash so it can be more hassle for them to do so. Their business just isnt built around that model

I've had the same when buying some big stuff from ebay sellers in England where I've been over there to pick stuff up and paid for it. They actually told me it's a lot of hassle for them to use cash, and their banks charge them a fee for lodging cash.
I don't see how they can't offer a discount if still paying by debit card at their shop...zero shipping costs , no ebay fees etc ...makes no sense not to encourage over the counter card sales....objections to cash i can understand

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I don't see how they can't offer a discount if still paying by debit card at their shop...zero shipping costs , no ebay fees etc ...makes no sense not to encourage over the counter card sales....objections to cash i can understand

depends how automated their whole process is, and how easy it is for them to do a manual transaction.

You'd think it should be like that though.

Uncle Buck

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford Focus
I am currently waiting on 2 sets of discs and pads I ordered from their website on the 6th of July! But if I was to have ordered through eBay, I could have had them in 2 days. Don't know what's holding them up, only that they'll speak to the tech team and get back to me but still nothing. I understand they're busy and July holidays and that but still, basically 3 weeks!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.