Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
A few more photos as I kept working on the air-box...

The lower half is finished, a little more cut out along with a little tidying and smoothing.

20161214_200404.jpg

The air feed hose has arrived, so that is fitted to give you an idea of the layout.

20161219_173334%280%29.jpg

A little closer.

20161219_173340.jpg

Closer again.

20161219_173345%280%29.jpg

And a more direct angle.

20161219_173403.jpg

Many people report the Hondata air-box mod doesn't sound much different. That's likely due to a large resonator being left in the lid of the air-box. So this was opened up.

20161219_180109.jpg

This is the exit to the resonator from the main air feed to the throttle body (within the air-box lid).

20161219_180121.jpg

Sections of plastic were epoxied in place to seal off the resonator section.

20161219_195455.jpg

A view from the inside of the intake pipe.

20161219_195536.jpg

Stiffer springs arrived for the gearbox, along with some Hondabond to seal things back up.

20161220_113741.jpg

Hard Race hardened rubber tie rod ends arrived.

20161221_140924.jpg

Hard Race hardened rubber trailing arm bushes arrived with pins.

20161221_141303.jpg

Hard Race hardened rubber bushed lower control arms arrived with new bolts and washers.

20161221_141445.jpg

A brass steering rack slider arrived. The grease is extremely pungent :worried:.

20161221_141626.jpg

Gearbox cable bushes arrived too.

20161221_184031.jpg

All going well the gearbox springs and bushes along with the air-box should be fitted over the holidays. I'll try to do the gearbox oil too.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Neil let know what the shifter bushes are like when fitted

I sure will. They will hopefully get installed tomorrow along with the shifter springs. I will however leave the Hondabond to cure for a day or two.

I wish I had the motivation to go at my cars like you do. It's a great toy to go with all your other great toys lol.

More toys are needed :laughing:! I actually do it as a wind down from work, nip out to the garage for an hour or two :grinning:. Things not done right will annoy me, so there is some natural motivation to fix something.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Nice! Shifter springs make some difference!

Cheers Andy, hopefully so.

There is still quite a bit of play in the shifter... Undecided what route to go down, but I will try these simple tweaks first.

jordan 375

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
Cheers Andy, hopefully so.

There is still quite a bit of play in the shifter... Undecided what route to go down, but I will try these simple tweaks first.
Did you buy the pivot ball aswell for the actual shifter mech? The springs and bushes you have will make no difference to actual play inside
As for the oem airbox setup, it's cost affective but if you end up wanting the most from the Engine and or cams I'd recommend the gruppe m. You seem to be going in the right direction so I'm sure something is in the cards for the future Nice to see someone doing it right instead of the normal slammed,rash mods

hippyross

RMS Regular
Nice :laughing: as for air box sound I had the gruppe m in mine when I bought it, it sounded awesome but I sold it and ran no airfilter yeah none :p and it sounded even better but once I put the hondata box in I never like driving it again lol

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I fitted a buddy club race short shifter assembly to mine and it is superb. No play what so ever and gear change feels like the bolt on a rifle.

Would recommend a complete new assembly.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I fitted a buddy club race short shifter assembly to mine and it is superb. No play what so ever and gear change feels like the bolt on a rifle.

Would recommend a complete new assembly.

Cheers batman. Did you change from the Revo one?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Cheers batman. Did you change from the Revo one?
Yeah bud. Forgot to take the for sale advert down and a fella offered me a good price. I then found the Buddy Club one with 48% off in one of those Xmas sales.

To he honest I'm nearly sure they are exactly he same just in a different box.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Yeah bud. Forgot to take the for sale advert down and a fella offered me a good price. I then found the Buddy Club one with 48% off in one of those Xmas sales.

To he honest I'm nearly sure they are exactly he same just in a different box.

Cheers dude. Still unsure of what to go for myself.

They do seem to look the same. I've hear of both Buddy Club and Revo breaking. So I don't think you can win :worried:

Daniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Had a wee nosey through. Very nice motor! Actually came to a similar conclusion to yourself. Still really wanting an MX5 but think one of these might be more reliable. As you say, it's getting harder and harder to find a good one (or pretty much any honda lol). This looks sweet though. Good to see its well looked after!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Great wee project this, subscribed (y)

Looking forward to seeing you round Kirkistown :grinning:

As I think some have said already, don't go overboard. Get it on track first, see what works and what doesn't for you, and then spend the money where it matters for you. Really easy to get carried away by browsing Interweb forums and shiny catalogues.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Had a wee nosey through. Very nice motor! Actually came to a similar conclusion to yourself. Still really wanting an MX5 but think one of these might be more reliable. As you say, it's getting harder and harder to find a good one (or pretty much any honda lol). This looks sweet though. Good to see its well looked after!

Cheers dude.

I was pretty much told with the EP3 that if the engine and gearbox are fine, you're well on your way.

However finding one that meets those basic requirements, has been looked after is fairly difficult.

There are much more tidier Mk2 / Mk2.5 MX5s out there IMO. I looked at quite a few MX5s with @aza89 many of which were rotten.

I've been lucky enough to be able to put my money right into mods or maintenance items and not have to weld the car back together.

Great wee project this, subscribed (y)

Looking forward to seeing you round Kirkistown :grinning:

As I think some have said already, don't go overboard. Get it on track first, see what works and what doesn't for you, and then spend the money where it matters for you. Really easy to get carried away by browsing Interweb forums and shiny catalogues.

Cheers batman, thanks for all the likes. :grinning:

Thanks for the advise too, beyond a rebush, and set of tyres, she's nearly good to go for the track.

I've actually struggled getting good info from the forums on the EP3. The local guys on here have been of much more help.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
A quick snap of the PCV that was replaced, along with the hose and clips.

20161224_114919.jpg

Anyway, more interesting things... Time to install the gearbox springs and cable bushes.

Air-box removed.

20161224_115732.jpg

Starting into removing the bushes... the first pressed out with my thumb and surprisingly little force.

The larger bush is easily removed with a screwdriver through the centre part, and lever it out.

20161224_131326.jpg

Gear change mechanism out. Ready for a good clean.

20161224_140801.jpg

Old springs about to come off.

20161224_141112.jpg

New springs installed and assembly put back together.

20161224_143508.jpg

Shifter bushes installed.

The assembly was of course torqued down and sealed with a smear of fresh Hondabond. Also not pictured, I treated the shifter cable boots with silicon grease to keep them supple.

20161224_152526.jpg

Gearbox oil change time, doing this on a very cold dark night is not recommended.

20161226_165634.jpg

It was however made much easier by using this fluid pump and heating the gearbox oil. It was a two second job, with no mess.

20161226_165646.jpg

Gearbox rinsed down with degreaser, you can see I used new fill and drain plugs with new washers. Clearance is pretty tight.

20161226_165703.jpg

I have to say the gearbox is now a joy to use. These simple, cost effective mods have made a major difference to how the car drives. It's now keener to change gear with a much more positive action.

The gearbox oil is a no brainer, however I did drive the car before changing the oil and after fitting the bushes and shifter springs... These made the majority of the difference. Highly recommended. @white sport do it :grinning:... though I see the springs I went for have went up in price a little.

The gear shift assembly does of course still have play in it. Though I would suggest the above worn parts were highlighting it. I may have a new assembly ordered, which should tie that up.

jordan 375

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
As said above don't go mad with mods and see what works for you, good wee mods to start with. As for the shifter, haven't seen in your pics you replacing the pivot ball on the actual shifter itself. My car has basically zero movement side to side and front to back. For the sake of like £15 or whatever they are it's well worth it

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Any links to the pivot balls? No one seems to list anything for the EP3 specifically.

From reading up on the MTEC versions, they wear too. They are nearly the price of a full assembly too, and as mentioned before they don't have any interest in the EP3 application.

The Ktuned arms are intriguing too, but again, they themselves don't the EP3 application, but I have read some people have fitted them?!

Last edited: