My 2006 Mini Cooper S

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Time for the next triggers broom project!

I've sold on my Impreza STI, which is sorely missed, however driving the fairly noisy Civic on a daily basis was starting to grate a little... Really I wanted something as a cheap run about, minimal outlay, but still something with a little poke.

As much as I tried to find something extremely cheap, I thought it would be more sensible to put a little more money towards something that was less of a shed and a little tidier.

I was always drawn to the R53 Cooper S, and was well aware of their quirky nature. So the hunt was on.

I'd looked at them before and have previously owned a Cooper, so was pretty au fait with their common weak points. One private sale was well, not worth an advert, one dealership car was incredibly poorly maintained...

As much as I tried to find something extremely cheap, I thought it would be more sensible to put a little more money towards something that was less of a shed and a little tidier.

Then this car popped up. Just over 50k miles, very well maintained, great conditon, lots of history and two owners. The deal was done and I have to say the private sale went very well, a very down to earth owner, that provided me with loads of spares, cleaning kit and a diagnostics device.

Let the scrubbing commence!

20170923_135917.jpg

20170923_135944.jpg

20170923_154001.jpg

She was a very clean car anyway, but she's now even cleaner.

20170923_185854%280%29.jpg

20170923_185913.jpg

Wheels were removed to clean them properly and grease the hubs.

New rear discs and pads have been ordered.

20170924_141336.jpg

I have to say the wheels came up very well. The insides were in good condition, with only a good clean being required.

20170924_150505.jpg

So the plans to keep it standard but well maintained didn't last long.

Three days after owning the car, the illustrious JCW air-box was bought. This is of course a used item, so it was treated to a good scrub in this photo. For anyone interested this air-box was used on the JCW tuning kits for the Cooper S cars. It adds a significantly larger air-feed over the standard air-box, along with a different filter design. Noting it is a daily driven car, I didn't want an open cone filter, the additional air feed comes from the scuttle, so it has every opportunity not to heat soak. This air-box has a vacuum operated baffle system to keep noise down, it's been removed.

20170927_203830.jpg

Rather than use the poor flowing OE filter, a K&N unit was used in the hope of improving flow.

20171005_182342.jpg

20171005_182349.jpg

I'm just starting to remove the standard air-box here. A before photo...

20171007_143520.jpg

During – this photo has the air-box and ECU removed.

20171007_144642.jpg

The gear change was a little stiff, a common problem. This was the perfect opportunity to lubricate the linkages.

20171007_144645.jpg

Everything cleaned and lubricated. Time for the install.

20171007_153659%280%29.jpg

Job done, a nice standard stealthy install. Noting the Samco intake hose and new stainless hose clamps.

20171007_170453.jpg

We had company most of Saturday with this homing pigeon. From speaking to the USPCA it's common for them to become water logged and need to dry out for a day or two. I was advised to only provide water.

Percy stayed in the garage overnight and was looking much perkier in the morning. I opened the garage and off he went. :sob:

20171007_172612.jpg

Still on Saturday I started into the ignition.

The ignition points were checked, cleaned up and greased. I have to say they were in pretty good condition anyway.

I'd replaced the plugs with the upgraded NGK Iridium versions. I was initially going to stick with the standard plugs, but I thought it was worth the upgrade. Even if they do have to be changed again after a pulley upgrade (lol).

She's now starting much much quicker.

20171007_174526.jpg

I've had the car checked over by the very helpful Darren at DW Autos. There was a cross threaded wheel nut on one of the wheels, so to make life easy I had both wheel bearings changed. The NSF wheel sensor was flagging an error, possibly only due to my intensive cleaning, it was replaced for good measure. The oil and filter were changed along with the chain tensioner.

My next plans are:
  • gearbox oil change
  • rear discs and pads
  • possible front brake upgrade
  • braided brake lines all round
  • brake fluid flush
  • coolant change with thermostat
  • tyres all round (non runflat)

Driving the car it's a very solid, rigid little go kart. She's easy on fuel and being fairly well specced with cruise, air con, LSD, xenon lights, puddle lights etc etc she makes for a perfect little daily. Though it has a very linear power delivery, it's plenty of mid range for motorway work.

This should free up some time for the other toys too, which was one of my aims :grinning:.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Bmw mini will certainly be triggers broom, good luck with it. Tracking it? Gav's was great craic.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
Drives
MINI JCW
Looks a lovely example! JCW Airbox makes some difference to supercharger whine. If you don't want to spend big money on a BBK, the R56 Cooper S front calipers make a vast improvement over the standard R53 brakes.

McKay

RMS Regular
These are great cars, had a jcw R53 many moons ago and it was the most fun things I ever owned.. plus the supercharger whine is awesome
Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Looks a lovely example! JCW Airbox makes some difference to supercharger whine. If you don't want to spend big money on a BBK, the R56 Cooper S front calipers make a vast improvement over the standard R53 brakes.

It sure has made a difference to the supercharger whine. Even with the flaps removed, it's still quite refined.

That's exactly what I will be going for brake wise. A nice OE style upgrade would be hard to beat.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Nice one Neil, health to drive!

You may add a smaller charger pulley to that list an all lol. It’s bound to happen at some point, really is the best value mod you can do for a bit of power :laughing:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
These are great cars, had a jcw R53 many moons ago and it was one of the funniest things I ever owned..
Can't wait to see what you with this one.

You summed it up well, it is great fun. As you well know they go well and handle exceptionally well.

She's very very clean so I wouldn't go mad, just get her even cleaner, well maintained and a few mild upgrades would only help it.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Nice one Neil, health to drive!

You may add a smaller charger pulley to that list an all lol. It’s bound to happen at some point, really is the best value mod you can do for a bit of power :laughing:

Cheers dude.

I've definitely not been looking at a 15% pulley and an Airtec intercooler. :neutral:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
If your after an airtec give me a shout, plus you can go 17 no bother with an airtec or similar

LOL I don't need any encouragement, but I will surely give you a shout if I go down that route.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
That looks a great example, set of JCW wheels would look awesome on it

Cheers, she is a very clean wee car.

I quite like the standard wheels, though they do have a few kerb marks.

Last edited:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I didn't think much of the JCW airbox from the seat dyno, but from driving her this morning, she definitely seems to have improved response.

The extra Supercharger noise is very welcome. However as the bypass valve opens around 3,000 RPM she's still quite civilised on a gentle cruise.

I also had the front control arm bushes replaced with Meyle HD items by DW Autos.

The car now probably needs a good alignment. So I'll do that sooner rather than later.

simy

RMS Regular
Cheers, she is a very clean wee car.

I quite like the standard wheels, though they do have a few kerb marks.
Those wheels are very heavy, you would notice a big difference with some lighter ones, if you want to keep it standard looking I think the 16" x-lites are the ones to go for.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Those wheels are very heavy, you would notice a big difference with some lighter ones, if you want to keep it standard looking I think the 16" x-lites are the ones to go for.

Ta for the pointers, the x-lites are a pretty cool looking wheel.

Lighter wheels are way down the list though. :worried:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
And not to dampen your spirits too much, exposed electrical connections under the car can corrode and fail, power steering pumps are a problem (recall in the US but not here), coolant expansion tank leaking, mushroomed front top mounts, etc etc.
Going by your other projects, you know you are doing.
This is a good guide.
20 Things You May Not Know About the R53 Cooper S But Should Know

Cheers for the link. It's not my first mini and I've already addressed most of the issues anyway :grinning:.

I do need to coat the connections under the bonnet, all in due course though.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
You can find them! A car I’d like to own at some stage (y)