My RB26 260Z Project

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Received my expansion tank, Amazing quality fab work as always from Pro Alloy, the welds are beautiful.

Tank%2011.jpg

Tank%2014.jpg

Tank%2013.jpg

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
At a time of mass produced eBay rebranded tat it's nice when you get something nicely put together.

RCT

RMS Regular
What way are you mounting the new expansion tank? Is there a small platform it will sit on at the side of the radiator or what, as there's no brackets or mounting points on the tank?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
At a time of mass produced eBay rebranded tat it's nice when you get something nicely put together.
Well, its true that you get what you pay for, Pro Alloy aren't cheap but its well worth it for a quality item made to your specs by skilled craftsmen.

What way are you mounting the new expansion tank? Is there a small platform it will sit on at the side of the radiator or what, as there's no brackets or mounting points on the tank?
Only place I could find to put a tank was beside the intercooler, hence why there is an angled side on it, so that it sits level when attached the side of the intercooler. I didn't want to waste driving time by removing the intercooler to get some mount system welded onto it so I've opted to attach the tank using 3M Dual Lock, this stuff is very strong so I don't think it will have a problem holding it.

RCT

RMS Regular
Only place I could find to put a tank was beside the intercooler, hence why there is an angled side on it, so that it sits level when attached the side of the intercooler. I didn't want to waste driving time by removing the intercooler to get some mount system welded onto it so I've opted to attach the tank using 3M Dual Lock, this stuff is very strong so I don't think it will have a problem holding it.

I use the 3m dual lock for holding various things in place on cars i've worked on, like data loggers etc, but I don't know about using it to hold something like that in place. With the heat the sticky back side might give up. I seen the angle on it so knew you must be tight for space and have a place for it. If it were me, i'd of mounted it with decent 6mm rubber bobbin's and a couple of brackets welded to the tank.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
It can hold a fair amount of weight as long as the heat doesn't affect the adhesive, already tested in on the intercooler side but the tank will be getting up to 100c at times so it might be too much. If it is I'll just get some brackets welded on, I'll make sure to have it lashed with a cable tie until I know its going to hold so I don't loose it.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Got myself a nice blueprint of my car, just wish I'd gone for A2 instead of A3.

DSCF9890.jpg

DSCF9891.jpg

DSCF9893.jpg

My new expansion tank looks great I think

DSCF9916.jpg

DSCF9918.jpg

New clutch, brake and throttle rubbers, some new bolts for the cam gear cover, oil filter and spark plugs and new rubber corners for the front bumper.

DSCF9895.jpg

New track rod to replace the one that got jammed and messed up by the guy setting the alignment.

DSCF9926.jpg

Want to have a usable tow hook, thinking about making a small extension to the tow hook plate and welding the supplied threaded boss onto that, with a small hole in the airdam behind the number plate which let you screw the hook in.

DSCF9897.jpg

New adjustable arms for the rear so I can now set my toe:

DSCF9879.jpg

DSCF9886.jpg

Billet alloy hubs, should save 2kg per side:

DSCF9902.jpg

DSCF9898.jpg

DSCF9905.jpg

Need to machine my centre bore bigger first though:

Hub%20in%20wheel.jpg

Picked up some new cleaning supplies from @Woodcutter @ Paints and components.

DSCF9927.jpg

Got myself a fun new toy to play with, a VBOX Performance Box, so now I can accurately measure 0-60, 0-100 (and everything in-between at 10mph intervals) 0-100-0 & braking. G force lateral, braking & accelerating, 1/4 mile and many others.

DSCF9938.jpg

DSCF9940.jpg

DSCF9947.jpg

Managed to pull just under a G under acceleration on low boost with cold tyres on a cold surface.

DSCF9944.jpg

DSCF9951.jpg

Hoping its dry tomorrow for a run up to the RMS BBQ.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Still loving the car ? Any other plans ?
I see quite a few are now mating fancy sequential gearboxes to the rb26. Samsonas or g-force available locally at powermax.... Just in case you are bored for ideas...

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Blueprint is awesome.
....And the car of course, goes without saying.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Saw it again today, love it, the engine bay is just stunning and we know the hidden bits are at the same standard.

Actually that makes it twice seeing this car now without meeting you! Or maybe I did, lol :grinning:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Still loving the car ? Any other plans ?
I see quite a few are now mating fancy sequential gearboxes to the rb26. Samsonas or g-force available locally at powermax.... Just in case you are bored for ideas...
Still love it to bits, it still make me laugh sometimes after putting the foot down, its just so much fun.

Other plans, well, nothing big, I'm currently working on a carbon splitter to improve the front end aero and I'm going to draw up some blueprints for a new alloy washer bottle because the stock plastic one doesn't cut it. Can't decide to go polished or satin black, I think satin black would look good but the catch tank on the other side is polished. Also still toying with the idea of running wider wheels on the rear.

DSCF9976.jpg

DSCF9979.jpg

DSCF9907.jpg

Other than that I'll just drive it and maintain it for a bit while I save up for a house with a nice workshop or triple garage. I have given thought to a sequential, throwing gears at it that fast would be fun, but I think a car like this should stay full manual, plus its crazy money for any sequential worth talking about.

Superb build.

Where did you order the blueprint from if you don't mind me asking?
Cheers, nice meeting you yesterday. I funded the Blueprint through kickstarter and actually paid for it about 18 months ago. He has said that he will be stopping most of the blueprints because he is now making official merchandise for a few car companies however the website is still the same so you could try him. He already has the drawings for a GT-R.

Nissan GT-R - Laser Engraved Blueprint Artwork

You are almost as bad as @Tufty :p :innocent:
Yeah, almost, nobody is quite that bad. :laughing:

Saw it again today, love it, the engine bay is just stunning and we know the hidden bits are at the same standard.

Actually that makes it twice seeing this car now without meeting you! Or maybe I did, lol :grinning:
Thanks, I saw your car there and was hoping for a chat with you but I never managed to find you. Maybe next time.

It was great to see the car today - sorry I missed you Ian! Absolutely stunning to look at in every detail.
Thankyou, yes, it would have been good to have a chat.

Was a pleasure to have a look around this today. Looked as good in person as it does through photos.
Thanks, very nice to meet you and have a chat.

Met you coming out of portrush in this today. I was in a mk1 caddy. It looks amazing! Such a presence on the road
I clocked your caddy (y), it stands out a fair bit on the road also.

Was this in portstewart tonight? Lovely car !
Yeah, it would have been, cheers.

Cheers to everyone else for the nice comments, I'm pleased it always gets received so well. Hopefully they like it as much in England, I'm meant to be heading over to Japfest @ Silverstone, managed to get a spot on the top 20 show and shine paddock so I thought it would be worth going over, would be cool if I won a prize but I imagine the competition will be pretty tough. It will be cool to get to drive around Silverstone, looking forward to that.

All this driving makes it hard to keep the car properly clean, but for me a car like this is all about driving it and enjoying it, so I wouldn't have it any other way, I built it to be used and used properly.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I'm going to draw up some blueprints for a new alloy washer bottle because the stock plastic one doesn't cut it.

That would look lovely, my vote would be for polished to match the rest in there (y)

How would it work with a stainless coolant tank and checking levels? Or maybe you would not mind taking the top off every time to check, would drive me round the bend though :grinning:

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@EF Ian Love the recent updates the Blue Print is a really nice touch. You have just been adding to what already is perfection in my eyes.

Also i vote for the satin black washer bottle it would tie in so nice with the rest of the bay.