Quarters are fitting better now:

2A8bVZlQ.jpeg

yCfvnn-w.jpeg

gQl4qIcs.jpeg

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
That work looks fantastic so far Ian, interested to see what the welding and seam work will be like.

What sort of measures are you going to put in place to stop any future issues? Have you seen any of Steve Richardsons posts on Facebook? He often talks about it quite a bit about GTR's he is working on, how he removes layers, treats, primes and welds is certain ways to prevent anything rusting there again.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
That work looks fantastic so far Ian, interested to see what the welding and seam work will be like.

What sort of measures are you going to put in place to stop any future issues? Have you seen any of Steve Richardsons posts on Facebook? He often talks about it quite a bit about GTR's he is working on, how he removes layers, treats, primes and welds is certain ways to prevent anything rusting there again.

Work looks great so far, worth paying for it to be done right. I sort of wish I had gone into something like this a while back.

Anywhere inside that can be, will be spayed with epoxy, anywhere its possible weld thru primer is being used, all seams will be well sealed and all cavities will be well oiled and waxed. Anywhere the original design was overly complicated and was leading to trapping of dirt or moisture the design is being improved.

Open to any suggestions.

I follow Steve on Instagram but not on facebook, perhaps I should be.

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'd imagine after all the work, the dipping/galvanising process would surely be the best for future protection ?

Although if you can keep the car in a heated garage...that alone will work wonders.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I will look into getting it e-coated, but I doubt I'll have the funds for it.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
What they are planning to do will be absolutely fine for how you will be using and storing the car.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Having an explore to see what is needed. As you will see, its quite a lot. Its scary how much work is needed.

You can see evidence of not so good work here:

7K7_l7eQ.jpeg

Not exactly tidy work is it:

8vi1oGlg.jpeg

Rocker test fit:

IWdvvQbw.jpeg

And with the door:

--Aj5x9w.jpeg

Zetm4_Cw.jpeg

QcZr0yzg.jpeg

And the patchwork continues

UPZbYYxg.jpeg

:eek:

X5wzRwfA.jpeg

9VQ88odQ.jpeg

-SoFwDcw.jpeg

yFuGkyqw.jpeg

c8733Xug.jpeg

Its coming on, but still such a long way to go, what horrors are yet to be revealed. Just hope my savings hold up to the amount of work.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
The tinman skills are fantastic. Not just those little corner pieces and so on, but adding that little piece inside the sill with the swaged holes and I'm not sure it's even going to be seen? Lovely work.
My wallet trembles just looking at that.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Stupid question - why was it painted before all the metal work?

Great craftsmanship and attention to detail :cool:

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
It wasn't painted before this work this time but was painted a few years ago, unless you're referring to the weldable paint primer I think is being used, probably Bloxide ?

Some job Ian, must be nice to know it's progressing!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The old repairs are just the reality of old rusty cars. They may not have been pretty....but it's clear they seemed to be structurally fine, and certainly they don't seem to have rusted too badly from when they were done either.

And as you're finding out....it is a mammoth task to do a better job, which if it's just someone keeping a car on the road, that expense simply isnt needed. Certainly some of the old welding repairs look a lot better than you see on the likes of car SOS etc !!

But with old stuff where panels are not available, and patches need done....patches just get done as trying to replicate panels is such a huge task.
I'd definitely want that in a heated garage after all that work has gone into it, to try and keep it as dry and mint for as long as possible !

I've just started some repairs on mine...and it really is horrible work.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Strangely....only just found this online tonight.

Another view of rust repairs and fabrication. And more interestingly from a local with a Alfa 75. I don't want to detract or take anything from this thread but it seemed sort of relevant ? Some serious rust on this one !

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Christ, that Alfa :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fair play, having the skills and time and resources.

I thing it's fair to say that undertaking something like this, even "on the cheap", is never going to show any kind of return. Classic car ads are full of "spent X on restoration", complete with receipts and all, and even asking prices are nowhere near that.

All labours of love.