My RB26 260Z Project

pablo

RMS Moderator
unreal - re the previous repairs they were likely done back when the car wasnt worth much before values and rarity kicked in. you simply wouldnt have gone to these lengths (and expense) on a cheap japanese car. Obviously now its a completely different story.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I'd imagine after all the work, the dipping/galvanising process would surely be the best for future protection ?
Heres what Dave said about e-coating. And its why I didn't dip it also. The acid gets trapped and then rots the car from the inside. For any coating process the car would need dipped in acid first as it has to go on to bare metal, but then you get the problems as below.

"I have worked on a shell that was E coated, I was impressed with how far the coating got as I had to remove the quarter panels and it had got in everywhere.
But that said I had to remove the boot lid skin as rust was bulging out on the seems where the acid got in but the coating didn't... This also happened in the chassis legs in a few areas and I had to go in and remove sections and replace them

For you car I wouldn't advise it, it would add around £2500 for the process plus covered transport to Coventry to their faculty would cost around £350/£400 each way.
I don't think you'd get value for money with the E dip, and as we have so much of the car removed and we are adding epoxy primer to the areas we open up. I'm confident this is the best way for this project"

Good to see people still doing proper restoration work. Too many 'restoration specialties' are just plating over the top of rust without even replicating the factory panel and covering it in waxoyl
Exactly why I spent so long searching for the right place to do the work.

The tinman skills are fantastic. Not just those little corner pieces and so on, but adding that little piece inside the sill with the swaged holes and I'm not sure it's even going to be seen? Lovely work.
Yes, Daves metal working skills are top notch. The swaged holes are important as they make the panel stiffer (they are there on the stock panel), plus I'm sure his artistic craftsmanship side would only allow a neat job.

Stupid question - why was it painted before all the metal work?

Great craftsmanship and attention to detail :cool:
Its not paint, its colour matched epoxy primer, it was done immediately after blasting to prevent any flash rust from starting.

The old repairs are just the reality of old rusty cars. They may not have been pretty....but it's clear they seemed to be structurally fine, and certainly they don't seem to have rusted too badly from when they were done either.

And as you're finding out....it is a mammoth task to do a better job, which if it's just someone keeping a car on the road, that expense simply isnt needed. Certainly some of the old welding repairs look a lot better than you see on the likes of car SOS etc !!
I know what happened with my car as I communicated with the owner who had the work done, the place he took it to messed him around, so he took it elsewhere to finish the work but ran out of money and had to sell the car once it was back together. Sounds like he had a bad experience but he said that the work was done ok. I guess different people have different ideas as to what is good work. Also its not wise to try and restore a classic unless you have the funds in place or it goes wrong. Never go cheap on the metal work.

I'd definitely want that in a heated garage after all that work has gone into it, to try and keep it as dry and mint for as long as possible !
As I always have since I got it, it will be garaged and inside an air chamber and never driven on a wet road.

Work looks great. Good to see them peeling back joints and doing it properly.
Yeah, only way I could be happy knowing its as rust free as possible, even in the hidden areas.

Jeepers that is some amount of work bud, the quality of the new work looks outstanding. Certainly not cutting any corners.
It is, more than I expected. but at least my choice of using Resto Shack seems to be paying off.

Another view of rust repairs and fabrication. And more interestingly from a local with a Alfa 75. I don't want to detract or take anything from this thread but it seemed sort of relevant ? Some serious rust on this one !
Cool, that worth a look.

I thing it's fair to say that undertaking something like this, even "on the cheap", is never going to show any kind of return. Classic car ads are full of "spent X on restoration", complete with receipts and all, and even asking prices are nowhere near that.
Yeah, even if I sold her for £75k I am taking a loss at this point and I can't see it going for more than that. That being said if I did put it up I'd put her up at £100k, if someone with the money wants her, great, if not I keep it. You'll not find anything new like this for that price with the rarity, looks and performance.

I did this with the view of owning it forever though, hence wanting to make sure I don't have to revisit this again.

The amount of tinwork and quality is staggering (y) fair play for going that deep into it majority would have just thrown the towel in a long time ago
Problem is I don't know when to quit and I'm pretty stubborn.

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The outcome of the Fast and Loud car was a bit of a shocker. Certainly seemed to sell for fairly reasonable money though as it did seem to be a minter.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Great work and it is good to see that it is being done properly!

If it's treated, sealed and oiled properly that car will outlast you. The only problem I would have is the fact that I couldn't drive it afterwards for fear of damaging it. It's just how I am...

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
The outcome of the Fast and Loud car was a bit of a shocker. Certainly seemed to sell for fairly reasonable money though as it did seem to be a minter.
Was bad luck. They actually seemingly did a good job on that one. Its value was never going to be as high as similar examples due to it being the less desirable 2+2 model. If it was the 2 seater it surely would have sold for more.

The only problem I would have is the fact that I couldn't drive it afterwards for fear of damaging it. It's just how I am...
I might have that problem, however I reckon a run through the gear on full boost should cure that, as my love of driving it will overtake.

Update Time

Strip the boot and get it in primer:

Boot.png

Its not the flattest boot, and someone has drilled holes in it, but it will work just fine after some love.

Time for the other side

As she stood before the surgery started:

cp28Ii0A.jpeg

The operation beings, lets cut off that scrap quarter panel and see what awaits, expecting similar to the other side:

FetQlQmA.jpeg

Could be worse, although someone has used some seam sealer as an alternative to weld.

FIlskm7A.jpeg

Rocker, arch and rear panel support removed

5TX6MqJw.jpeg

Cancer

VZbYYAZQ.jpeg

EX4PqG7g.jpeg

A closer look at the cancer:

-xnXhdvA.jpeg

Thats different to the other side:

W6rybrng.jpeg

N3K8VPfA.jpeg

fxEBk1Og.jpeg

Cancer Gone

ugTXIFbg.jpeg

L16wqrMw.jpeg

G0_EFRag.jpeg

_41xcVvQ.jpeg

Without the fuel filler, the panel support is much simpler on this side:

XhBZMpoQ.jpeg

Dcg-St5g.jpeg

Just the complicated front area to do now:

UJ5sXY1w.jpeg

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
this already is fantastic !! going to be so special the first time you drive it again!!

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
The level of detail and workmanship going into this is astounding. Fair play for going all in and doing it properly, regardless of the expense.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Absolutely outstanding work! Hope to be able to get a look around this when it's finished!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Was planning to update this, but Photobucket isn't playing ball.

this already is fantastic !! going to be so special the first time you drive it again!!
Thanks, Honestly I can't wait for that first drive, unfortunately it will likely be at least a year away before all I want is done its its 100% together. Then it needs MOT and alignment and if I change my downpipe setup and make the airflow improvements I've planned it will need a minor remap.

Hope to be able to get a look around this when it's finished!
I'll hopefully attend some of the RMS meets once it back on the road.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Was planning to update this, but Photobucket isn't playing ball.

Thanks, Honestly I can't wait for that first drive, unfortunately it will likely be at least a year away before all I want is done its its 100% together. Then it needs MOT and alignment and if I change my downpipe setup and make the airflow improvements I've planned it will need a minor remap.

I'll hopefully attend some of the RMS meets once it back on the road.
Just attach the photos here Ian! Need our updates!!! :laughing:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Continued update, all inner framework on both sides complete:

Front rot

JPb0cDYQ.jpeg

erFX_lMg.jpeg

BBsfpz_w.jpeg

Finishing the rear panel support:

HFhUOmPw.jpeg

lDtjjDag.jpeg

qyhYteDg.jpeg

Sill test fit:

vY6Szh0A.jpeg

Building a frame to support the shell for the next step.......

WV0tusBQ.jpeg

XvHTnsSQ.jpeg

Co7dl-ZQ.jpeg

2LVwLHdA.jpeg

Next step - The floors
(After some work finishing the sides)

RTl1SWAw.jpeg

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Completely understandable why this is being done in England. I can just imagine the world of pain you would be in by now dealing with anyone in NI for such work.
That’s if such a person exists here even capable, it’s a bit beyond bits of biscuit tin beat into shape, migged to death and waxoyled over
Great stuff chum.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There's no doubt there are people capable here...but whether they are in business and doing it for customers is another matter simply because of the time and money that would be involved. Difficult sort of business to be in, and no doubt many severely kicked by dreamers, who end up having no money.
With more of a customer base available in England, and more customers likely to pay, there are more people out in the open doing such restoration and repair work

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Great Progress @EF Ian - Dare i ask what the hourly rate is from these guys?

@stevieturbo Totally Agree, there are some fantastic trades men this side of the water!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
There are likely people who can do this here in NI, but I couldn't find anyone who could provide examples of their work during the metalworking stages for me to be happy that they actually do a good job, some places I checked were booked up for very long times and other places were not keen to give an estimate, yet other places didn't even bother replying to messages. Some places claimed they could do it but didn't seem to have the metalworking tools you would need to actually do the job of shaping the panels properly. I wouldn't rely on previous customers recommendations unless that person understood bodywork a bit and saw for themselves the quality of the work done rather than just seeing it once it was complete.

David Marshall Restoration. I reckon David would have done a great job but with more evidence suggesting Resto Shack would be right for my needs I went with them.

Great Progress @EF Ian - Dare i ask what the hourly rate is from these guys?
A very reasonable £30 an hour. Per person. +VAT

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
It’s reasonable enough for one for the bigger outfits, but that’s still £250 a day (+vat?) and I know how little really happens in a day, I feel your pain believe me..

No one wanted to estimate for anything on my project other than the exhaust system and smaller items, things change and evolve as when they are on the operating table as you know.. if it’s a keeper, you can afford it and it puts a smile on your face, who cares!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
That's not much to keep a unit full of tools and power / business rates etc.
Pretty sure my Local bodyshop charges the same and its got a much bigger building so should be alright. Could be around £480+ a day given they are working on at least two cars at the one time, one in metalwork stage, one in bodyshop stage, perhaps another in the stripping, painting or rebuild stage so that could be £90 an hour if 3 of them are working on projects at the same time.

No one wanted to estimate for anything on my project other than the exhaust system and smaller items, things change and evolve as when they are on the operating table as you know.. if it’s a keeper, you can afford it and it puts a smile on your face, who cares!
Thats all very well, but you want to make sure you don't end up giving it to a place that charges £50k for the likes of this because only the very wealthy could afford that. I would have been happy with an estimate for the work I knew needed done with acceptance that it can change.

Reactions: Ged

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Thats all very well, but you want to make sure you don't end up giving it to a place that charges £50k for the likes of this because only the very wealthy could afford that. I would have been happy with an estimate for the work I knew needed done with acceptance that it can change.

This is the problem though. You are accepting of that change, you understand what's involved. Sadly over here there are a lot of potential customers who are not. And end up digging their heels in, crying, not paying, and it turns into a ****storm for everyone.
Which is why I can understand so few people here bothering with such work.
I'm sure there are a good few doing it for themselves, or a select few customers, but let's face it, any skilled area of motoring type work is fraught with danger in both directions.
And those doing and who are booked up...they're booked up for a reason.

I can imagine all said and done this sort of work could easily be 30k+ by time it's painted though

I know if I was doing it...I sure as hell wouldn't like to be paying myself lol. ( sadly I end up doing it all at a loss instead )

But it's definitely all looking great so far.

Ged

RMS Regular
Drives
sexmo VTS
£30 an hour is very good, considering most mechanics will charge that and id say the skills required for the fabrication are way above that of general service.

I couldnt work in my own shed for anything less than £25 an hour, if i have to lift a welder thats £40 an hour. A monster job like that I supposed ud go a little less but still overheads have to be £15-20 an hour minium. You cant quote a job like that as once you start poking who knows how far the rabbit hole goes.

The quality of work your getting for that is unreal. Ask pretices or Donnelys for that for thier extorionate servicing rates lol