J5eJOHOg.jpeg

sUYXM_8Q.jpeg

tcpyruEA.jpeg

Jxxd4fPw.jpeg

Removed

NfeC3VuQ.jpeg

0ffX_nwQ.jpeg

i00cALPQ.jpeg

The floors were for a 240Z but provided a base to start with, they came with rails for a 240Z so of course they were no use, Some ones of the correct size were folded up instead.

cNzFuz1Q.jpeg

3LcohtZA.jpeg

ACLNPY4w.jpeg

Fcnbqf3g(1).jpeg

sdm1xd3Q.jpeg

pEDXkMzw.jpeg

ru5NgJqQ.jpeg

H9mS9_9w.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Flip, basically making a new car from scratch 😳
Its certainly costing as much as a new car. :neutral: :sob:

I was always thinking that the front end wouldn't need work, after all, I thought I'd already tackled that. I thought wrong though. Previous work needs to come off and be done much better. Rails have surface rust inside but clean up ok just need to repair the mess on the outsides of them.

4nmNQZ8Q.jpeg

m45skBCz.jpeg

sIDZ1tlg.jpeg

Mj0XBcoA.jpeg

qjuHRacw.jpeg

kGVeqtJg.jpeg

4JymdsoA.jpeg

GxcA6Tbg.jpeg

Thats all for now, more soon.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Big undertaking and its great to see the care and attention to detail in order to keep cars like this on the road.

look forward to more updates on one of the nicest cars Datsun/Nissan developed

JT079

RMS Regular
Omg flip, this is like making a new car👍 I would imaging your kid (future) will be loving this Datsun!!!

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
The work in this is incredible.

Fair play to you. I would not like to be covering that bill!

The car will be amazing (y) (y)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think it was mentioned before here ?

What SR Autobodies are doing in terms of jacking points, by welding a suitable plate then fitting the little rubber/plastic jacking blocks so you can jack the car up without actually having to do metal to metal contact with the jacking points.

I presume these guys would do something similar, just to protect those areas for the future ?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Omg flip, this is like making a new car👍 I would imaging your kid (future) will be loving this Datsun!!!
If I have a kid, its possible.

The work in this is incredible.

Fair play to you. I would not like to be covering that bill!

The car will be amazing (y) (y)
So much more to go as well, at every step more than I thought.

You certainly don't want to be paying the bill, I know I don't, its pretty painful just down to the sheer amount of hours needed.

After spending so much I hope it ends up amazing, I'm certainly doing the best I can.

What SR Autobodies are doing in terms of jacking points, by welding a suitable plate then fitting the little rubber/plastic jacking blocks so you can jack the car up without actually having to do metal to metal contact with the jacking points.

I presume these guys would do something similar, just to protect those areas for the future ?
This is in the plans. (y)(y)

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
So the rails were worse than we had expected or hoped. Lots of work happening on the front end, the problem was when it was last done before the swap isn't that it wasn't done well but rather we thought the car was much better than it was so I didn't go so deep. This time its going all the way.

NL4dvyDQ.jpeg

Internal Strengthening

f3Qlt2HA.jpeg

Cleaned up and coated

c_65p84w.jpeg

TBiTQUPg.jpeg

RTB1ty5Q.jpeg

sX0W1ZCQ.jpeg

F1HRJlDA.jpeg

LdjXDvMg.jpeg

kUo5TZxA.jpeg

This panel isn't looking great, going to replace the whole thing.

wqVeJxQw.jpeg

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I'm doing the same to my R33 re the jack points. 2mm steel and bmw jack block rivnutted on.

At this point would you not have been better off importing a shell from the US or Japan?

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Amazing level of work and I’m sure an eye watering bill but will all be worth it to know that the car is completely solid.
Will massively help resale value as well if you ever consider it lol

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Amazing level of work and I’m sure an eye watering bill but will all be worth it to know that the car is completely solid.

Id say any notions of resale or profit/loss went out the window 300 welds ago 😁

Serious commitment, fair play.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
At this point would you not have been better off importing a shell from the US or Japan?
Not now, but at the start, had I known.

Plus its my baby, I want to see it fixed, cured of cancer you could say.

Would be US and then RHD converted, which is costly enough, and would still require some restoration work, eve then newest ones are 42 + years old. These are rare in Japan and costly.

Yes, yes and yes, but resale :laughing: Not a chance, this is mine for life.

With the photos of the restoration would help, previously restored cars don't mean much otherwise unless you have proof it was done well. This car was technically restored already.

I’m sure an eye watering bill
I sometimes think just what I could have bought with the money I've spent on the S30 from the start, and also the FD3S I could have bought with the cost of the restoration alone. (Actually thats not true, not with their current values, not sure how I'll ever have one now)

I never regret it though and even with £100k to spend on a car it would be hard to find something as special as this will be when done and with the satisfaction of having done it myself.

Although it has to be said...whether some of the previous repairs are liked or not...clearly someone has spent a lot of time before keeping it on the road given the amount of repairs.
The owner prior to the guy I bought it off had it restored, but he got ripped off by the first shop, took it somewhere else to get finished. Ran out of money and had to sell it once complete.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Documentation is everything. Whenever something comes up for sale as "fully restored" without documentation, you just know it will be rotten, patchy, or made of Isopon... Or all of the above :innocent:

Obviously nobody makes any money out of a deep restoration like this (well, other than the chaps carrying out the work 😉 ).

But that's not the point here so keep at it, whatever makes you happy in these crazy times 😎

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thought I should update here.

Pass side is mostly finished:

L4s-edaw(1).jpeg
qdW17mRQ(1).jpeg

Oumg9uZg(1).jpeg

Rail is left long because I'm having it joined up with the rear sub frame

N9TM6T8w(1).jpeg

T5RcUQ_A(1).jpeg

Drivers side is well underway.

XXqnLmgg(1).jpeg

VFjxXtpQ(1).jpeg

nrZM6iyg(1).jpeg

Will repair the front better this time, that would have rotted through after a while.

5rXr96pQ(1).jpeg

2fPQWTIg(1).jpeg

Thats it for now, work should begin again about Mid Jan if not earlier.

RevT

RMS Regular
I just spent about 3-4 hours reading this full thread again over the past couple of days. Insane.

I can’t wait to see it finished again.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I can’t wait to see it finished again.
Still a long road unfortunately.

Thought I should update, even though no work has been done since May my updates are still well behind.

Passenger side floor

6vgdRSJg.jpeg

4wzhJUBQ.jpeg

dpSpGLnQ.jpeg
5pKkiNLA.jpeg

A LOT of new metal to go in here.

5SiXNGlQ.jpeg

48crEmdA.jpeg

AoGVFznA.jpeg

gxFxfzxQ.jpeg

IgnilKvQ.jpeg

1GxT4eQQ.jpeg

Front frame rails are complete

JzRwpxlw.jpeg

G8ujKJSw.jpeg

No way the scuttle panel are was going to be left unchecked.

mlhgvm6w.jpeg

_poL5q2Q(1).jpeg

Rails have been extended to join up with rear frame for extra stiffness.

vZoxUStQ.jpeg

6zO0Eaww.jpeg

1MsGAz5g.jpeg

lHUgbNb9.jpeg

xTOgMFU4.jpeg

xmgiFJFg.jpeg

zKExZxci.jpeg