need steel piping

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Does anyone know where i could get some steel piping,

I need it to be about 12mm internal diameter and sorta thick enough so that it could be tacked to a steel plate. I also need to be able to bend this piping in some way.

I piping is to run a cable though for a wee project that im doing, if it doesnt work right i might have to a bigger diameter.

Cheers for any help

Sean

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
might be a bit big for the space i need it for, although im thinking i might have to upgrade the cable so it might be ok..

Ya can just buff the galvanise off and then tack it .. cant ya?

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Havent a notion, never tried it. What sort of shape are you bending it?

its hard to explain without a drawing bute theres a few bends needed in it.. thats why i was thinking that a smaller pipe would be easier worked with.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Kennedy and Morrison on boucher road do a huge selection of this stuff.

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
yeh alex woods in dundonald, they will have all sizes ... I doubt they will have galv pipe but unless it needs to be galv just coat it yourself

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
no no dont need it galv cause i have to weld it onto a plate, ill paint it or something just to stop rust if needed..

where abouts id alex woods? I actually work in the ulster hospital so might be able to run over 2moro.

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
if you are coming into dundonald from ards, past ballybinyard (on the left) then at the lights turn left, straight on takes you towards the hospital and right towards carigantlet...so turn left at those lights then its immediately on your right ... Robbs road I think?

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
lol havent a notion where that is.. Do you know the company name so i could google map it?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
do they have stainless pipe tho stevie? copper pipe must be about 12mm.

Who asked for stainless ??

He asked for steel. Copper pipe can be whatever size you want it in.

Common plumbing would be 8-10mm microbore, although Im sure 12mm and 15mm etc is readily available too.

but i need to be able to weld it, you can only braze copper..

Of course copper can be welded. Virtually any metal can be welded with the right equipment.

B&Q have loads of stuff, pipe, angles etc in steel, brass, aluminium etc.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
If you work in the hospital Woods would be handy for you and they can cut a small piece if that all you need.

Just search Robbs road dundonald on google maps and it will show you where it is. If coming from newtownards road and turning right down robbs road, its a 100 yards or so on the right hand side on robbs road. You cant miss it when you turn off main carrageway

I think its called H woods or something like that

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
rang h woods this morning and they didnt have anything..

But they gave me a number of kennedy&morrisons on boucher rd and they have a steep pipe with a 12.5mm bore which would work perfect.. down side i have to take bloody 6m of it... lol

Marc

RMS Moderator
make sure you bend it with a pipe bender, or you will crush the pipe making your cable impossible to get through

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
How much do you need? It its only a meter im sure when you go up they will cut or have a piece lying around instead of 6m lol

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
i know a plumber down the road from me so ill get him to take his pipe bender over some evening when i get a chance.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
a meter would be great id say cause i only really need about a foot but i'd take a meter incase i make a mess of it... lol

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
well my uncle got me some steel piping there the other day from his work but it was like over 10mm stuff.. too big for what i need it for.

What sort of pipe could i get that would be under 10mm and would bend ok?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.