need steel piping

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
You'll more than likely need to use a pipe bender no matter what the bent (unless it's very slight).

I've one but wouldn't have heads that small I don't think.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
its hard to explain without a drawing bute theres a few bends needed in it.. thats why i was thinking that a smaller pipe would be easier worked with.

cheapest way of bending pipe without crushing it is to fill the pipe with sand, then using a blow torch or oxy settling torch to apply heat to where you want the bend, then bend it as required .

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
I can get a micro bore bender off a plumber i know..

What size diameter is brake line pipe or something along those lines?

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
i'm not really worried totally about the bending just yet, more the size of the pipe.

I dont want the cable to be able to move much once its inside the pipe. The last thing i want is me trying to release the cable and nothing happening due to the cable moving about.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
most common brake pipe is 3/16" or -3AN

that would be about a 10mm outside diameter on the threaded unions so taking into account the union thickness and pipe wall thickness, your down to about 3-4mm max

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
mmmm maybe i could work something like that.. was talking to someone there and thought of a different way to work it by clamping the cable both ends.

If the diameter of the pipe is 10mm i could try drilling it out to allow the cable to fit in.. its like 5mm

if i was to get some brake pipe that your on about.. do i just go into the like of motoglass or euro carparts and ask for 3AN brake pipe?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It might help if you are more specific about what you want ? and what are you trying to achieve ?

And brake pipe is 3/16" OD, nowhere near 10mm.

What size do you actually need, and what is it doing ? Is this cable moving, static ? etc etc

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
-3 pipe 10mm OD? lol. -6 is 11mm OD approx and something like 8mm ID.

You could maybe use -6 or -8 teflon hose, you should be able to pull wires through that. But you won't be able to weld it onto a plate.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
I need to be able to keep a bicycle brake cable in the same position all the time. I chose bicycle brake cable cause it is a really strong cable and it will be able to bend any way as long as its not a real tight curve and function with no problems + the actual cable will be in the reinforced black tubing, so when the tubing is fixed down the cable will run freely.

when one end of the cable is pulled i need to be sure that it is going to pull the other side, thats why i need the cable to he held in place at all times. if the cable was to dangle it might not pull properly and release the catch and ill be up shiv creet without a paddle.

i have now thought about getting some maybe 1" or 1 1/2" flat steel and cutting and welding it into the shape i need and then with clips or something fix the bicycle cable to the plate.. i might even take some dimensions and draw it up and see can someone laser cut it out for me and bend it, would be a tad tidier looking id say.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Copper brake line is about 6mm.

And as for your earlier question, yes, to weld galvanised tubular all you would need to do is buff the area your going to weld with a flap wheel/grinding disc and ensure the other surface is clean. Job done...

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
-3 pipe 10mm OD? lol. -6 is 11mm OD approx and something like 8mm ID.

read, read and read again dude

not once did i say the OD of the pipe was 10mm - the OD of the threaded unions to suit a 3/16 or -3an pipe are generally 10mm (considering most modern brake components rely on 10x1mm threaded unions)

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I need to be able to keep a bicycle brake cable in the same position all the time. I chose bicycle brake cable cause it is a really strong cable and it will be able to bend any way as long as its not a real tight curve and function with no problems + the actual cable will be in the reinforced black tubing, so when the tubing is fixed down the cable will run freely.

when one end of the cable is pulled i need to be sure that it is going to pull the other side, thats why i need the cable to he held in place at all times. if the cable was to dangle it might not pull properly and release the catch and ill be up shiv creet without a paddle.

i have now thought about getting some maybe 1" or 1 1/2" flat steel and cutting and welding it into the shape i need and then with clips or something fix the bicycle cable to the plate.. i might even take some dimensions and draw it up and see can someone laser cut it out for me and bend it, would be a tad tidier looking id say.

If it is in its conduit already then providing the ends are held strongly you wont have a problem

why not weld a bolt onto your structure with a hole through it just big enough for the cables conduit.

wind a nut past the hole, put your cable through, wind a nut onto the end then tighten both nuts to grip the conduit (or the metal end caps that im imagining) to retain the cable conduit whilst allowing the cable to move freely inside

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Thats actually a really good idea.

I could make a plate up weld like a m10 or something like that at each end, theres a place where it will need to change direction so i could weld another one and that should keep it well in place..

ill draw up something quick here in cad to show you the route the cable will have to go.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Very rough drawing... the circles you see are where i think it should be fixed.. the red line is the bicycle cable and the black box behind it is supposed to be the plate it is to be fixed on..

Untitled-1.jpg

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
How long a piece of pipe is required? If its not too long if you knew someone with a lathe and just get them to turn and drill round bar to suit exactly what you need.

Tho somewhere is meant to do tube close enough to what you need and save alot fo hassle with bolts etc.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Were talkin maybe a 6" to 8" long piece max..

Im starting to think that the plate and the bolt idea might be the easiest option due to having to ge the pipe bent and then havin to try to weld it to a plate.. could work out akward enough.

If i got some like 1" flat cut into the exact shape i neet it would work out better i think.

Anyone know anywhere that could laser cut steel?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Does it have to be as neat as laser cut? Any machine shop would be able to cut it and clean it up. Wouldnt be as nice as laser but would work out cheaper in sure.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
No doesnt have to be laser cut.. i just thought it would be handier..

Would the best thing would be for me to dimension it up this weekend and draw it up properly on monday when i get back into the office and print it out and give it to a "machine shop" for them to cut it out?

Any places round belfast that could take on with something like this?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I know a place in lisburn who would do a small job like that.

Alot of places either wouldnt be bothered or charge a fortune for the hassle to do a small job.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Untitled2.jpg

Something like this only 1" wide all round... couldnt be bothered drawing it up properly..lol
(Its the friday feeling kicking in..lol)

Ya think the place in lisburn could do this?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Which way is that meant to be bent? Can you do a bit better sketch, dont quite understand it and i will email it to the guy in lisburn.

It could be easier to weld it at 90 and grind it off flat, you could paint it after, would that be alright?

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Give me a minute and ill do a side elevation here.. donesnt have to anything fantastic tbh cause it wont be seen.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.