never content?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I'm the opposite, i've only ever bought two cars and I still own both.
1st was a dturbo for getting to work which my mum now drives and the second was the 330d which only got bought because my wife needed a car for work.
I've had two company cars so I would have probably bought more if I hadn't had them.

Like @Ollie I cant throw anything away, too many times I've thrown stuff out or sold something and needed it the week after so now I just keep it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
No you're not alone. I would buy something to try for a bit then punt on (i.e 350Z). One year I was upwards of 20 cars for 'keeps' with 4/5 lying in the drive at once. Recently I've been better though as I just can't be bothered dealing with the arseholes.

I see mates of mine spending a fortune getting a car clean, tidy and working 100% only for them to get sick of it and punt it on before starting the cycle again. I must be getting old because that would do my head in. Plus there's that much scrap floating about these days with wheeler dealer types trying to make a profit on a dose, 'minters' and deliberately hidden faults that I'm just put off going through the buying cycle altogether these days.

When I get a bit bored with something now I go out and buy something for it. MX5 getting a LSD this week for example.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I keep my cars long term, fisrt 2 clios were 2/3 years each, A3 was 3 years, S3 was 5 years however the Porsche was only 10/11 months but that was just because my S4 came on the market

I do not think i will keep a car longer than the S3, it was my complete favourite but with regards to never being content, that is the beauty of car modding, always something to do! :grinning:

56oval

RMS Regular
Im one of lifes easy streeters, i dont have to have the latest gadgets or pay any attention what him next door has, and the same applies to my cars, ive had the bug since 2001 and my knackerd old van since 2005 , it works why change it? Ive never truly had a must have urge with cars but i guess im not a true petrol head.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
I tend to keep the daily driver for a long time and only send it on when it starts to become uneconomical to maintain, the second car has been changed about quite a bit as there are many cars out there I want to experience!

Car hunting is very enjoyable to me, one of the best feelings is going to pick up the new car for that hyper alert drive home, even better when you can get your money back when you sell it on for the next move and look back fondly on your time with the car.

Already considering my next move in autumn for when I'm gonna store the soarer for winter, love car hunting!

Jason

RMS Regular
I get itchy feet all the time so try to incorporate it into cars I sell so it keeps me interested lol

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I really hate buying cars, all I seem to see is overpriced tat that belongs in a scrappers with some tw4t telling you 'she's mint bai'. Just annoys me so much that I actually end up buying something that I don't really want just because I end up too wound up with the whole *****. I have zero patience for anything that should be simple but give me a difficult engineering problem and I'm happpy for days. I like buying in England where in general there are less chancers and liars than here.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I tend to keep the daily driver for a long time and only send it on when it starts to become uneconomical to maintain, the second car has been changed about quite a bit as there are many cars out there I want to experience!

Car hunting is very enjoyable to me, one of the best feelings is going to pick up the new car for that hyper alert drive home, even better when you can get your money back when you sell it on for the next move and look back fondly on your time with the car.

Already considering my next move in autumn for when I'm gonna store the soarer for winter, love car hunting!

Actually that's a fair point. The heap for work will stay til it dies. It's more the toys I seem to change often.

Bronk

RMS Regular
i was the same.. never happy with any of my cars.. always thought how can i make it better .. then when i run out of ideas i would sell it on. Now ive my own house.. its a different story.. i think twice about mods now for the car and spend my ££ on the house .. think its old age kicking according to @m00k

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
I get itchy feet all the time so try to incorporate it into cars I sell so it keeps me interested lol

Me too...thats the beauty, you can turn a hobby that used to cost you into something profitable. The only problem is the honeymoon period lasts about a day!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I went through a long phase a few years back of buying and selling, was really an excuse to try many different cars I've wanted. Was changing on average every 3 months for a few years, sometimes 2 or 3 cars at a time. Have now been in the same car for a couple of years but that's more due to a house purchase and new baby meaning I didn't really have the funds or time to chop and change. Still getting incredibly itchy feet though and fully intend to change it over the next couple of weeks. Mrs Gaz also needs a new vehicle so may as well take the hit all in one go (n)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Used to be the same as @Bronk but owning a house, getting married and having a baby has put the handbrake on. Funs over for now, electric cars ftw :p

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I go with the flow when it comes Cars.. I have sold some in the past that i wish i held on to you but i guess we have all done that. I dont know where i would go from my A8 i couldnt see myself in a 1.9 Diesel at any time in the near future. My next car will be an S4 but the A8 wont be going any where.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
5 Mini's and 3 106 Rallye's is my (Driven) car back catalogue. Owned a ST202 Celica and a Subaru UK turbo for a brief period too before going back to 106's again.

I don't like change.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
I've had 5 cars in the last year and a half, I see it as wanting to experience as many different marques as I possibly can.

The only car I've missed so far was the MX5.

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
I would like to change my GTI but I do find it hard to let it go, especially since it does everything I need very well. It goes fast enough for me and is still very tight, no rattles, creaks or anything. It has been extremely reliable in the coming 5(?) years Ive owned it.

My sensible head says keep it and run it into the ground, which I probably will now. Though I do like the sound of these leasing deals. Some of them seem really good value to have a brand new car for ~2 years. Maybe if the lease deals for the new Type R are good enough, Ill go down that route :grinning:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Had my current car 9 years next month.

Think I'm in the minority here

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I changed my cars quite often I liked changing up to something newer each time. Getting married, buying a house/renovating/building and baby on the way has slowed things down somewhat.

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
@big_pete I don't see that as a probelm ;) wanting to change to something else is human nature (generally, I know this doesn't apply to everyone as proven through the thread) but having something else isn't a bad thing...

The problem is you end up spending money... then more money......... then more money............ like who really needs an alcantara wheel? :p

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Used to be bad for changing my cars every year but I'm now driving the wife's mk5 golf and it's had a fair bit of work to make it sit how I want it. I'm content for now but would love to change to a mk5 GTi. It's an itch I need to scratch lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.