New Focus Rs

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
After backing out on buying one a couple of months ago due to a warranty issue I still have a real notion of one .I would love to see actual percentages of engines that have failed / need looked at as on the rs forums it is everyday there is 2-3 engines blowing .some guys have only got 2-4 thousand miles on there replacement ,apparently updated engines with the new gaskets ect but even these are sh1tting themselves .Wonder is it like 10% of all rs sold or is it more or much less .i suppose if you want to buy one and keep it with at most the 375 m kit then that’s ok but personally I would like to do more than that .The one I looked at was perfect with the 400hp tune but unfortunately no warranty .i couldn’t of afforded to replace an engine at my own expense if it had of went bang .Having had rs fords from I first passed my test near 30 years ago it’s hard to get away from the Ford rs range but I will have to give this one a miss unfortunately .
Or you just buy a Golf R(y)

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Or you just buy a Golf R(y)
Didn’t impress me tbh .maybe I was expecting to much from it . if I could get a run in a stage 2 car it would be different I imagine as the golf was the car I was for buying until I drove one.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Didn’t impress me tbh .maybe I was expecting to much from it . if I could get a run in a stage 2 car it would be different I imagine as the golf was the car I was for buying until I drove one.
The Focus isn't much quicker and if the Golf is a dsg it's slower. I wasn't that impressed with the Focus, I suspected the crackles from the exhaust would annoy me after a while and I know the overly firm suspension would. I had a 2016 St focus for 3 months so I know how solid thr shocks are for rough roads and daily driving and that was one reason I didn't like it.
Factor in the engine problems and it equalled Golf R for me.

Last edited:

zafturbo

RMS Regular
The Focus isn't much quicker and if the Golf is a dsg it's slower. I wasn't that impressed with the Focus, I suspected the crackles from the exhaust would annoy me after a while and I know the overly firm suspension would. I had a 2016 St focus for 3 months and that was one reason I didn't like it.
Factor in the engine problems and it equalled Golf R for me.
In fairness I got out of my almost 500hp s4 into the golf.it was always going to feel slow I suppose .

Con S3

RMS Regular
Drives
RRS SVR
Having driven the Golf R in both manual and DSG format, I was underwhelmed. However, I have never driven the RS, but by all accounts the driving experience is much more engaging as far as reviews go.

I think the RS looks far superior as well in hot hatch terms. That being said, the subtlety of the R appeals more to my taste, but then, I'm old and drive Audis :joy:..........

zafturbo

RMS Regular
An RS3 is a much better can than a golf R.
Not even close.
I have so much want for a rs3 but it has to be a 2015 on car and I can’t afford one .life sucks .:worried:
There is still £10k difference between a 16 plate focus rs and a 16 plate rs3.
The quality of the Audi is night and day between it and the focus .you can’t even compare the two imo.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
An RS3 is a much better can than a golf R.
Not even close.
I like the RS3 but your statement is wrong.

I've driven both as I could afford any of them and at the time i couldn't see the 50% asking price of the Audi over the VW and this proves it.....

RS3 v Golf R and the Golf wins an Evo track test by half a second even though it has 70hp less.

Audi know the appeal of the RS3 is the 5cylinder but the price is mad for a car that, stat's wise, is no better.

Anyway, the Focus RS is great too...... they are all good cars and it's nice to have the luxury of 1st world decisions that we have;)

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
I’ve owned a golf r for 2 years and extensively driven a number of Rs3’s.
They are a much better all round car.
That’s not taking anything away from the Golf, but Audi refinements and driving are just much more professional feeling.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I’ve owned a golf r for 2 years and extensively driven a number of Rs3’s.
They are a much better all round car.
That’s not taking anything away from the Golf, but Audi refinements and driving are just much more professional feeling.
I'd buy an RS3 but it's just for the 5cylinders really, I just can't see the extra £10,000 for an Audi badge and another cylinder on what is the same VAG platform underneath.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
@mike150 surelythe rs3 having the Quattro 4wd is A much better system than the gollfs 4wd .with owning a s4 at the minute,seriously the golf is nowhere near the quality of Audi interior wise unless the smaller a3.rs3 is not as good as the a4.
I have watched hundreds of YouTube videos of different rs3 Grs golf r ect and it blows the doors of every other hot hatch.a45 is the only one close to it and even then the rs pulls away immediately from the start.
Anyway back on topic ,focus rs.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
@mike150 surelythe rs3 having the Quattro 4wd is A much better system than the gollfs 4wd .with owning a s4 at the minute,seriously the golf is nowhere near the quality of Audi interior wise unless the smaller a3.rs3 is not as good as the a4.
I have watched hundreds of YouTube videos of different rs3 Grs golf r ect and it blows the doors of every other hot hatch.a45 is the only one close to it and even then the rs pulls away immediately from the start.
Anyway back on topic ,focus rs.

Despite the badging, the RS3 is just haldex too.... albeit a new tune in the 2017 cars.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Really ,I thought it was the same system as mine .maybe an rs3 isn’t as good as I thought .

I really like the RS3, the only issue I have with them is the price!

A few reviews have picked up on some things that would put me off slightly, like the interior is still pretty much a3 with some trinkets (ie excellent for the class, but not for the price), the supersports seats aren't electric and aren't as nice as the newer ones in the rs4567, and the looks could do with a little more wideness.

But most praise the neutral balance and the traction/grip so the haldex must be doing it's job. The RS3 version can send 100% to the rear which none of the other standard haldex vw group cars do.

For me the biggest niggle was if I was sacrificing looks for the practicality of a hatchback, the boot looks tiny! I'm old.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Big test here, the tester's say the Golf R embarrasses the RS3 at £15,000 less and neither of them are in the final 3.
They are Focus, Megane RS and A45 Amg, which one wins.......

Last edited:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
As an all round package I think the Golf R is tops.

MarkM

RMS Regular
As an all round package I think the Golf R is tops.

I keep reading that on here but what’s not all round about the RS, A45 or RS3? All 4 doors, decent boots, all better looking (to me) and better to drive with much more character, and the A45 is cheaper to insure in my case lol I suppose that’ll get me lynched on Vag central RMS :innocent:

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I keep reading that on here but what’s not all round about the RS, A45 or RS3? All 4 doors, decent boots, all better looking (to me) and better to drive with much more character, and the A45 is cheaper to insure in my case lol I suppose that’ll get me lynched on Vag central RMS :innocent:
I would have liked a look at an A45 but in the 2 months I was car shopping in N.I I only saw 2 saloons for sale and I didn't want one due to the very low back roof line, I'd have knocked my wee girl out every time I was getting her in and out!!!!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE

If I had the budget my next car would be an A45. Love my Golf R but the A45 (to me) is a better looking car. But the Golf R is a fantastic all-rounder and fits all my criteria. I’ll likely replace mine with another one or an S3. Still very, very tempted by an 8P S3 Revo’d and save myself £5K. There’s no doubt the RS is fantastic, every review tells us that, they’re just not my cup of tea. I’ve fallen out of love with manual cars and it’s looks aren’t to my taste. Personal preference

MarkM

RMS Regular
I would have liked a look at an A45 but in the 2 months I was car shopping in N.I I only saw 2 saloons for sale and I didn't want one due to the very low back roof line, I'd have knocked my wee girl out every time I was getting her in and out!!!!

The CLA45 is a bit odd looking to me, the A or even the shooting brake CLA are much better looking imo, CLA is a softened version of the A in 45 trim. I only saw two other A45s over here when I was looking, red one was sale agreed (@slapshot_99 bought it) and the other was gunmetal and poor spec, so trawled England for the best spec white one I could find :grinning:
I'm a big fan of the RS, although the interior is dull as ditch water, but the Mrs hates them with a passion and apparently we're sharing this one 8o|

If I had the budget my next car would be an A45. Love my Golf R but the A45 (to me) is a better looking car. But the Golf R is a fantastic all-rounder and fits all my criteria. I’ll likely replace mine with another one or an S3. Still very, very tempted by an 8P S3 Revo’d and save myself £5K. There’s no doubt the RS is fantastic, every review tells us that, they’re just not my cup of tea. I’ve fallen out of love with manual cars and it’s looks aren’t to my taste. Personal preference

The 45 is my 1st twin clutch car, I avoided them for years but I now love it, wouldn't rule out a manual again though, just whatever floats my boat at the time really lol

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
How are the long term owners finding the RS to live with? Do you use it as your daily?

kippermoon

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 rs/impreza r
How are the long term owners finding the RS to live with? Do you use it as your daily?
love it so far,have it almost a year now but it only is used maybe once a week.more to do with working so much rather than the want to drive it.for example yesterday i had a message to do in mayobridge.ended up taking the long way home,over spelga down to bryansford,castlewellan and onto newry trough banbridge.its a long long time i'd even dream of doing a run like that just for the hell of it.
its been modded a bit with the basics and a litchfield tune,fitted eibachs which helps the ride no end,honestly for the money i can't see anything else i'd be able to push on as hard over those types of road.it's a car you have to explore a bit with,regular test drive in a std car will feel like whats the fuss all about

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.