North West 2018

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
So........following on from the TT thread and as its up first, who is heading up this year ? I know a lot of people have been put off over the years, but they seem to have sorted some of the issues out last year, regarding delays between races and the ability to run over into the Sunday should it be neccessary.
Like everyone else i've seen huge changes over the years and not for the better imo. However......... its still the biggest sporting event in N. Ireland and bringing the top road racers from around the world, providing excellent racing, weather permitting and should be supported by attendance.
I head up every year for the week and for me, its an annual opportunity to meet up with a few old friends from both here and accross the water and have a bit of craic for a few days and enjoy the racing, nightlife and general atmosphere.

Edit: I can provide free, safe, bike parking for any members on here if they wish.

DriftnSlide

Banned
OP
DriftnSlide
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Before anyone jumps in with criticism......... yes.......the UGP is a better racing event (i attend it to) but it hasn't got the same ammenities being in the sticks and this is a NW200 thread. :grinning:

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Haha all in good time for the UGP/Armoy etc :laughing:

Should be doing a practice night at least if not thursday racing.

Tuesday 15th May Practice 9.15am – 3.00pm
Thursday 17th May Practice 9.15am – 3.00pm
Thursday 17th May Evening Racing 5.00pm – 9.00pm
Saturday 19th May Race Day 9.15am – 7.00pm

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Wouldn't miss it for the world, undecided whether to ride up on the Fireblade on Friday and camp or take the van up with the Supermoto in the back, see what the weather is like closer to the time. Where do you normally all watch from?

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
Will head to practices but I’ll watch race day online......saves any hassle, they do some ****ing about between races.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
I'm off work the Friday and the Monday after, still not sure if I'm taking the car or the bike, I'll only have been riding for a few weeks by that stage so will still be quite nervous, I'll see how I feel.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I'm off work the Friday and the Monday after, still not sure if I'm taking the car or the bike, I'll only have been riding for a few weeks by that stage so will still be quite nervous, I'll see how I feel.

Probably best to follow someone up who is reasonably sensible, it can be a bit daunting the first time with the amount of bike traffic, especially leaving on the Saturday after racing, its like a free for all. But it's an experience that I would put off for another year if I was in your position.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Yea I might be safer in the car this time, bike traffic was a wee bit close for comfort last time I was up and it was like the wacky races going to and from it

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I will be heading up on Thursday if you wanted to tag along with us for a bit of experience. You can always just wait a few hours after the racing has ended and head home when the traffic has calmed down.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
@Dub_cub 89 I was coming through Ballynahinch on Saturday after the racing at Bishopscourt and it was chock-a-block, I found the start, stop traffic easier to work my way through rather than the slow moving traffic that was in Lisburn. Even managed a bit of filtering, which makes you feel like a lord.lol. And that was my second day on the road. Throw yourself in at the deep end, thats what i always do, and if the traffic gets a bit daunting pull over and let it pass. Just know your limits/ablities and you'll be fine. Dont let more experienced riders pull you along. There was a few riders up at Dundrod pits last night doing a few laps of the circuit too and as much as i wanted to follow them around to try and sponge off them, I soon realised they were in a different league. Im sure they got a laugh when they banked it in at the end of they flying kilo and I put the anchors on and never seen them again. Im heading up with a few friends, some experienced, some newbies, some nutters and some sensible. Ive told them they i'll be sticking to a sensible pace though

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Should go without saying, don't be doing anything daft like having a small plate, wheelies or being generous with your speed. PSNI love NW week ;)

Also: An awful lot of riders will have spent 6 months in the garage praying for a nice day, therefore they're a bit rusty around the edges. By all means ride up, but don't go with the masses - there's a lot of Michael Dunlops come hometime

AC

RMS Regular
First year having our static in portrush so looking forward to a coast road run and being able to stay up.

Hoping for some good weather this year, last years Thursdsy night practice was sublime, ended up at Ballysally Roundabout which was a good spot (easy to escape after too). Pity about the change of weather for the Saturday, ended up staying at home with the feet up.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I have never been to NW, is it worth a spin down? Superbikes have never appealed to me tbh though.
Wouldn't be able to this year as I'm away on a stag weekend and not back until the Sunday afternoon.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
In a word, yes, its the feeling of speed and the atmosphere that makes it for me. And you can get a run up and down the coast if the mood takes you.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
It’s a good event will hopefully get a run up for race day with the sprogs in the car weather permitting

Deleted member 13907

D
I have never been to NW, is it worth a spin down? Superbikes have never appealed to me tbh though.
Wouldn't be able to this year as I'm away on a stag weekend and not back until the Sunday afternoon.
Even Rebekah wants to go back. She has zero interest in anything sporting or bike related, but we were up a couple of years ago and she would definitely go back...maybe not this year, due to her 'condition' :joy:

Reactions: Ben
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.