Once common cars that you don't see anymore

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
Every time I deliver to a customer in Wicklow I notice an Opel manta across the road, it either parks in the exact same spot religiously or doesn't move 🤔 but it looks unreal

There’s an old German movie called Manta, Manta, Manta. It’s like a straight to video version of f@f, in classic 80s dm boots 😂 I forwarded through most of it, but just getting to see some Manta’s being abused was funny as f!

Here’s a wee clip!

Oh yeah, movie is crap, but it’s worth it for a bit of Manta nostalgia 🤣

Paul.

RMS Regular
There’s an old German movie called Manta, Manta, Manta. It’s like a straight to video version of f@f, in classic 80s dm boots 😂 I forwarded through most of it, but just getting to see some Manta’s being abused was funny as f!

Here’s a wee clip!

I never expected to see anyone else mention this film, but I'll admit I like it. It's kind of a guilty pleasure film. It's something of a cult classic in Germany, too, with a few Mantas built as replicas of the lead car. Just to keep with the theme of this thread, here's another clip (just after the one you linked). Every single car parked on the roadside was once common.

Manta owners were a common joke in Germany in the 1980s/90s so, bizarrely, here's another film that released in the same year. Fair warning, this one is crap from what I remember of it - but I don't know of anywhere else you'll see a Manta chopped to fit two front axles.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

Here’s a wee clip!

Haha, thats awesome!

I can just imagine him stabbing his rivals in the face like he did in Inglorious Basterds 🙃

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Spotted this thing abandoned in the middle of the Sperrins complete with dodgy door opening lol.

IMG_20200515_081148.jpg

IMG_20200515_081201.jpg

RevT

RMS Regular
I passed that Fiesta yesterday too Gary, looks ropey as sin. I assumed it was some oul farmer from Moneyneena/Draperstown.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I passed that Fiesta yesterday too Gary, looks ropey as sin. I assumed it was some oul farmer from Moneyneena/Draperstown.
I reckon it's some farmers field car or runabout. The inside is full of mud and the ignition barrel and drivers locks still intact.

you check the boot?
Naw didn't want to touch it and incriminate myself lol.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's not been taxed since it was bought in March by the looks of it. Probably a farm scrapper as above.

As an aside, what happens to these abandoned cars? See them all the time in England, usually with a "police aware" sticker on them, sitting for months. Not much left of them after a while, people using them as free parts bins by the state of them.

Do police pick them up and go after the owner, or how does it work? Just left with owners hoping someone else will pay for dragging it to a scrap yard?

Especially untaxed like the above?