Passat W8

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Be interested to see if there are any of these about. Autotrader, ebay and Pistonheads all seem to suggest no.

Auto estate preferred.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I looked at these last year when I had my V5 Passat and by all accounts they appear to be a nightmare to do anything on and get anything for. Usually a few ex police ones knocking about but they were mostly ex HMSU cars and lived a hard life.

Reactions: dub

Ben

RMS Regular
OP
Ben
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
With the wedding the coming up and starting the house I'm thinking I need to free up a few more £ than orignally intended. S4 isn't off the table but looking more unlikely as £4-5k ones are probably leggy. Hence another VAG V8 (W8) being an option.

My criteria is:

300bhp+
Toys: Heated leather, Armrest, Cruise and Nav would be nice
Nice sounding engine, no diesels or 4cyls
Estate is preferable
Auto would be nice

Last edited:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
With the wedding the coming up and starting the house I'm thinking I need to free up a few more £ than orignally intended. S4 isn't off the table but looking more unlikely as £4-5k ones are probably leggy. Hence another VAG V8 (W8) being an option.

My criteria is:

<300bhp
Estate is preferable
Auto would be nice

You would be bored with a W8 Passat by the time you got it home!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip

My criteria is:

<300bhp
Estate is preferable
Auto would be nice
S6 ;) although that is >300bhp

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Most disappointing spin out ever was in one of these. Thought it would be a proper beast :worried:

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36

My criteria is:

<300bhp
Estate is preferable
Auto would be nice

Subaru Legacy GT-B? Interior might be a bit low rent and I'm not sure if you could get nav but relatively low mileage cars are within budget. Be a hell of a lot more exciting than a Passat.

pic1313989405138.jpg

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Subaru Legacy GT-B? Interior might be a bit low rent and I'm not sure if you could get nav but relatively low mileage cars are within budget. Be a hell of a lot more exciting than a Passat.

pic1313989405138.jpg
4 cyclinders are they not?

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I wouldn't have thought there's too many low mileage (sub 100k) W8's about. Have to agree with @Coog, bit of a disappointing drive, just a quick Passat. Much better out there that isn't as bespoke and is more exciting, even an Alpina would be handier got bits for.

Ben

RMS Regular
OP
Ben
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Legacy is a nice idea, although I just don't think I could bite the bullet on something that old and jap. 300bhp isn't really a requirement, but would be nice. Something like an E91 330i M-sport would be ticket.

Would LOVE an E39 Touring M-sport 535i/540I

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Legacy is a nice idea, although I just don't think I could bite the bullet on something that old and jap. 300bhp isn't really a requirement, but would be nice. Something like an E91 330i M-sport would be ticket.

The youngest W8 you'll get will be 12 years old, have you priced bits for them? I'd nearly rather have something Jap though I've a guilty love for BMW Tourings!

Ben

RMS Regular
OP
Ben
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S

Apparantly these don't exist? Well none for sale online in the UK anyway. A couple of non-sport 540i tourings, but would want a facelift M-sport Touring V8.

Ben

RMS Regular
OP
Ben
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
The youngest W8 you'll get will be 12 years old, have you priced bits for them? I'd nearly rather have something Jap though I've a guilty love for BMW Tourings!

I do like my VAG stuff though. Think passats are great cars, wouldn't care if it handled like a pig or wasn't as fast as a 1.8t tuned one. I would be dropping and straight piping it.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
They do, mate of mine had a 540i E39 Tourer in green. Check Car and Classic, there's a silver one there but it's 2001, looks like an M sport

Reactions: Ben

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I do like my VAG stuff though. Think passats are great cars, wouldn't care if it handled like a pig or wasn't as fast as a 1.8t tuned one. I would be dropping and straight piping it.
That's exactly what they are like! I'm VW through and through, haven't been without one of some description in 15+ years, but I wouldn't have a W8 and drive it without the thoughts of it exploding in a dramatic expensive oddly engined fireball. Or just breaking down really.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.