Planning an Install

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
I've got wood now and getting the spare-wheel screw removed tomorrow ;)

I need to figure out what size the sub enclosure needs to be for a 13" sub.
I'm mounting it magnet-out :cool:

Any ideas much appreciated
Trev

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Just wondering;

Is it safe to un-earth my current amp to get to the panel in-behind when I'm dynamatting ?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
yes but disconnnect the power and remote wires too and dont leave it turned on either

for the box you should try and get a proper spec of the focal site or the list of ts parameters and try and work to those. although you may be making a custom fg box and it will be hard to measure it will be worth it to get it sounding correctly

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Quick question;

I have made a base-plate in the boot floor to secure the sub-box to,

How would I go about securing it to the boot?

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
if its a good tight fit with the boot floor, and has a sub box and sub on it, then it should be grand

Krisclio ( SQD )

RMS Trader
Drives
Megane dci130
andy_gdon said:
if its a good tight fit with the boot floor, and has a sub box and sub on it, then it should be grand

thats ok till you roll the car and end up with a sub box implanted in your head. a few screws are a good idea, just hit them with paint where they come through the outside to stop them rusting.

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Well the false floor would cover the box anyway, and it will be screwed to the umm "floor"

The base-plate is in a very awkward position to put any screws in it cause of the curve in the well :confounded:

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
Krisclio ( SQD ) said:
thats ok till you roll the car and end up with a sub box implanted in your head. a few screws are a good idea, just hit them with paint where they come through the outside to stop them rusting.

So you'd stick screws through the car just to hold down a false floor?!?! Butchery!! there are strong adhesive strips that can be used. screws into the floor of a car is never a good idea - no matter how much paint you through at it!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
i dont screw my flase floor down, i dont want to put holes in my boot floor, one for the earth bolt is bad enough!

and i dont plan on rolling my car. its not always needed to bolt a false floor down, i certainly wouldnt see it going anywhere in a hurry

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Fair enough folks, just gettin ideas - need to pad the wheel-well with a bit of foam to surround the sub box before I fix anything down

keep the ideas flying though (y)

Krisclio ( SQD )

RMS Trader
Drives
Megane dci130
andy_gdon said:
So you'd stick screws through the car just to hold down a false floor?!?! Butchery!! there are strong adhesive strips that can be used. screws into the floor of a car is never a good idea - no matter how much paint you through at it!

its called doing the job right andy, if it needs screwed it gets screwed. nobody plans on rolling their car but it does happen, a mate of mine rolled his last week and his install was fine, nothing moved even though the car was totalled. sometimes you wont need to screw it in if the back seats will hold the build tight, but this doesn't always happen, so a couple of screws add security. but what would i know about it? lol

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
and even if the seats do hold it 9 times out of 10 it will get thrown threw the seats on heavy impact as i have see a few times

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Here's the masterpiece in question :p (So far may I add)

DSCF0132.jpg

DSCF0129.jpg

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Any Ideas how I can secure that board?

Not exactly the easiest shape/position to put screws into

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
surely there is a screw hole under that board where the spare wheel would have been screwed down to?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Lee-8-Ball-Auto said:
surely there is a screw hole under that board where the spare wheel would have been screwed down to?

was thinking the same thing myself or else theres always the expanding foam route. spray some in there under the board then place the board on top, it will support the board and might avoid the need to screw it down. just make it a tighter and neater fit though!

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
Sounds like a fun (y)

Silly question but does anyone know what expanding foam is like for sound deadening? (Runs & Hides)

-Pete-

RMS Regular
in a word- messy!!!! you need to prep pretty well but in all honesty i would say stick to standard sound deadening matting. expanding foam is only really used in spl type cars and ones that you dont give a stuff about as it can be seriously messy stuff that can go everywhere and is also a real pain to get of your skin too!

it can get everywhere if you dont seal things up well enough. dont even think of using it in your doors

for the extra hassle i would say theres next to no benfits to be had over standard sound deadening. if there was everyone wouldnt bother with the likes of dynamat or second skin etc and just use cheapy expanding foam everywhere

and remember its foam so its pretty porous stuff so it wont always make as good a contact on a panel youre trying to dampen therefore it may not be that great at all

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
OP
Tigger 172
Drives
RS Clio 172
I've literally cut myself into a bit of a muddle :innocent:

cut 2 of my panels a bit short for the sub-box.

Saying that, the re-calculated volume might give a tighter bass.

I was set out to make a box with 1.25 CFt;
at the minuite it's working out at 1.17 CFt

Since I'm mounting the sub arse-out will this be ok ?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
that amount of difference wouldnt be incredibly noticeable, the sub should still be fine in it

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.