Police investigate film of boy driving lorry on motorway

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The whole system is a mess. I have no faith in judges. This guy gets 2 years and loses a baby for protecting his home against 2 scumbags who are lifelong criminals (they got away with suspended sentences) all because the judge wanted to make an example of someone who took the law into his own hands…****er

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The whole system is a mess. I have no faith in judges. This guy gets 2 years and loses a baby for protecting his home against 2 scumbags who are lifelong criminals (they got away with suspended sentences) all because the judge wanted to make an example of someone who took the law into his own hands…****er

Watching that on 24 Hours In Police Custody actually made me really angry. The attitude of the two thieves as well.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Watching that on 24 Hours In Police Custody actually made me really angry. The attitude of the two thieves as well.

Yes now they are trying to sue him for massive damages as well, the judge will prob grant them a nice big payout 😡

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I remember a long time ago having this conversation with a good mate…..what if you caught a burglar in your house?

I still remember what he told me, if I over power him without killing him I’ll call the peelers, if it ends up him dead it’s in the boot and I’ll burry him somewhere!

I asked him why not just dump him somewhere as nobody will ever know he was in your house as he was there thevin, he said, **** might have told a mate and then if a body turns up the peelers could end up at mine searching it, disappearing a body is easier than getting rid of all that blood splattered all over the house!

He was deadly serious too!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I sort of get the idea that you can't have people losing the bap and chasing people around in cars and that's why the judiciary always come down hard on this sort of thing.

But, context is everything and his actions should be balanced against the fact that police have no resources to deal with the type of crime that happened here and they don't even respond. So people react themselves and stuff like this happens. This is decade's of government cuts in action and a lack of balance in looking at it by the judge. The cheeky blighters suing him for damages is just pouring salt into the wound. Every occupation has its dangers, if you are into burglary, getting the tar beaten out of you should be put down as an occupational hazard.
Having said all that, would I chase after someone who was trying to break into my house? No, as long as they are off my property and not presenting a risk to me or my family, nope. A very grey area and since I've witnessed a few people killed in front of me, not something I'd want to be responsible for myself.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I remember a long time ago having this conversation with a good mate…..what if you caught a burglar in your house?

I still remember what he told me, if I over power him without killing him I’ll call the peelers, if it ends up him dead it’s in the boot and I’ll burry him somewhere!

I asked him why not just dump him somewhere as nobody will ever know he was in your house as he was there thevin, he said, **** might have told a mate and then if a body turns up the peelers could end up at mine searching it, disappearing a body is easier than getting rid of all that blood splattered all over the house!

He was deadly serious too!

Sorry this is all I can think of reading that 🤣
cR5NFH1__400x400.jpg

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB

Watched that too on 24hrs of police custody and it really stood out, felt awful for the guy getting time and the scumbags getting off with it. Good to see a GoFundMe was started for him and done quite well, but can't replace the child they lost and the time he lost with his family.

Hopefully the scumbags who broke in don't get a penny out of their claims, but who knows, wouldn't surprise me

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
It's bad here already but it's worse in the mainland UK. Doesn't help around London that the Met appears to be as big a problem as the criminals, it's a breakdown of law and order caused by the party that stands for law and order lol... 🤦‍♂️
The part of Derby I stayed in was as close to the wild west as you could get. I once got challenged by a schoolboy with a knife on my way to the shop to get a sandwich at lunchtime lol.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
It's bad here already but it's worse in the mainland UK. Doesn't help around London that the Met appears to be as big a problem as the criminals, it's a breakdown of law and order caused by the party that stands for law and order lol... 🤦‍♂️
The part of Derby I stayed in was as close to the wild west as you could get. I once got challenged by a schoolboy with a knife on my way to the shop to get a sandwich at lunchtime lol.
Cough, what party is the London mayor part of? For policing in London do they not have responsibility for policing outside of City of London area?

Still agree that outside of London it's a mess too, and that is the fault of the current govt

Bryan

RMS Regular
Watched that too on 24hrs of police custody and it really stood out, felt awful for the guy getting time and the scumbags getting off with it. Good to see a GoFundMe was started for him and done quite well, but can't replace the child they lost and the time he lost with his family.

Hopefully the scumbags who broke in don't get a penny out of their claims, but who knows, wouldn't surprise me

Just watched the documentary too. Felt so angry. I can understand the Police's need to prosecute him for dangerous driving but there was absolutely no need for such a harsh sentence.

The judge in that case should be ashamed of themselves.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3

Hmmm don’t think it’s as bad in the mainland

2FDED6C8-2E5A-4B12-94ED-4B6011B81FDA.png

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Cough, what party is the London mayor part of? For policing in London do they not have responsibility for policing outside of City of London area?

Still agree that outside of London it's a mess too, and that is the fault of the current govt
Yep, I think he's fairly universally regarded as a muppet in London but TBF, if the budget isn't there, not much anyone can do.
Police coverage all over the country is woeful, the amount of crimes that go unresponded or even unreported because there is no point is mad.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Hmmm don’t think it’s as bad in the mainland

View attachment 386508
But they cut more than 20,000 officers in the last 12 years and a lot of the older, more experienced guys will have gone, leaving less experienced people to cope with a massive workload with crime levels going up exponentially. I'm seeing the same in engineering, loads of older guys got sweet deals to take early retirement and lots of organisations are struggling with a skills gap as well as a resource gap as a result.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
But they cut more than 20,000 officers in the last 12 years and a lot of the older, more experienced guys will have gone, leaving less experienced people to cope with a massive workload with crime levels going up exponentially. I'm seeing the same in engineering, loads of older guys got sweet deals to take early retirement and lots of organisations are struggling with a skills gap as well as a resource gap as a result.
Experience in policing doesn't necessarily mean effective or useful police officers, in my experience it's often been the opposite. However ability does have an awful lot to do with it.
The closure of local stations, along with limited opening of what are quite large stations, loss of part time officers because it didn't suit the narrative of the time and numerous other factors have led policing in NI to where it is now. Surely neighbourhood policing starts in the neighbourhood, not a crew having to drive miles from their nearest station to carry out "local" policing duties. 3 out of my first 4 stations are closed now, redeveloped for social and private housing, the other is lying empty. That's before you get me started on numerous crews sitting for often full shifts at A&E departments.